13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 5:18 AM by John Mensinger

Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign

RuthK Level 1

I feel like this is a silly question but I don't know the answer!

If I place an InDesign file containing an image into another InDesign file, is the original image resolution retained? For example, if I have an A5 InDesign file, which contains a graphic where the effective ppi (because it's been reduced) is 600dpi, and I then place the whole InDesign file into another file and ENLARGE it, what happens to my graphic?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
          philippanmei Level 4

Why are you placing an Indesign file into Indesign.

Instead of placing open the both file and do Move pages to another indesign file. It is the better option for you.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
            stefan_ao Level 1

I have a document with a linked InDesign file, a text box which is used in many documents so this question interests me.

I made a quick test and it appears to work as it should. I made a smaller file with one linked image and linked the Indesign file in a bigger document and since it's a linked InDesign file it recognizes and shows the image in the Links panel.

• 3. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Placing an InDesign page is essentially the same as placing any type of graphic element. Think of the effective resolution in the original .indd as being the Actual resolution of the image, and if you scale it after placing the Effective resolution will change again. You don't magically alter the number of pixels in an image when you place it.

@ philippanmei, there are dozens, if not hundreds of very legitimate reasons for placing one InDesign file within another, and for scaling the page when you do so.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                Abambo Level 4

I'm doing that a lot for a lot of reasons. For example we have an address sheet of subsidiaries that we place on each folder. This has the effect that when changing an adddress, we needonly changing one document. When updating a folder addresses get updated to the latest situation. I introduced this long ago, but using EPS files at the time. When changing to Indesign and finding out that we could place an Indesign file like a graphic, we used that.

Other application: Changing the target size of adds slightly, for example from A4 to letter and vice versa, or even more then slightly from A4 to A5. But this is done rarely, because of the character size ...

• 5. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                  philippanmei Level 4

Ya ya Peter

I know that placing indesign files to another indesign but if you want to edit with the text you have to do open with and open it again in Indesign and editing, this is a long way. Just move page is the better.

• 6. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                    RuthK Level 1

There are many good reasons to place an indesign file into another indesign file - in this particular case I have had to do three or four different sizes / impositions with the same underlying file and they are all to scale, this way if I have to make a change I can just change the source document and all the others will update.

I absolutely love this facility.

Just this week I have used it for

- scaling a document to multiple sizes

- designing a flow chart which is to be used in several other documents

- a magazine layout where each article has slightly different styling, so I can work on each article separately without having hundreds of paragraph and character styles, and then place them into the final layout.

R

• 7. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                      RuthK Level 1

Sorry - I didn't know I could only mark one answer as correct! Thank you.

• 8. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Please don't post nonsense. It really doesn't help anyone. You place pages for reasons that make moving pages useless.

• 9. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

philippanmei wrote:

Ya ya Peter

I know that placing indesign files to another indesign but if you want to edit with the text you have to do open with and open it again in Indesign and editing, this is a long way. Just move page is the better.

But what if you wanted to paste an advert created for another purpose into a magazine layout?

I find, rather than recreating the advert in InDesign twice - that having one advert at the size required. Then when you update the original advert - the one in InDesign updates also.

Plus in any other areas you have placed that advert.

Yes, you can do it in Illustrator, but it's effectively the same thing - yes?

Plus copying and pasting items from InDesign to InDesign is far superior to copying/pasting items InDesign/Illustrator.

• 10. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

and since it's a linked InDesign file it recognizes and shows the image in the Links panel.

The Links panel gives you the actual resolution of the nested image and there doesn't appear to be away of getting the effective or scaled resolution of images inside of placed ID files from the Links panel. You would have to use Preflight to check for effective res.

Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 7.04.15 AM.png

• 11. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

philippanmei wrote:

Ya ya Peter

I know that placing indesign files to another indesign but...

Just move page is the better.

There are many workflows that look nothing like yours, and you are in no position to decide what is better for someone else's application. I grow and maintain a large body of technical documents in multiple languages, and the ability to Place InDesign files is an extremely powerful feature which allows me to keep each language in a discreet, native file, yet compile multilingual versions on the fly.

...but if you want to edit with the text you have to do open with and open it again in Indesign and editing, this is a long way.

Alt+Dbl-Click is "a long way"?

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                                stefan_ao Level 1

John Mensinger skrev:

Alt+Dbl-Click is "a long way"?

I just wanted to post that I did not know that shortcut existed and it's awesome! (I do have it keyboard bound to Shift+Ctrl+Alt+R but it's a really awkward angle for my hand so I don't mind using another way)

• 13. Re: Image Resolution when placing InDesign file into InDesign
                                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Cool Stefan!

It's always great when you learn something new that speeds and eases common tasks, and those opportunities never stop when you're using CC daily. I have a button on my trackball set for double-click, so here, it's an even easier Alt+Click.