3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2006 9:41 AM by SalanSinclair

Convert from index file keywords to topic keywords

SalanSinclair
      I'd like to store keywords in the topics instead of having them in a central index file.

For legacy help systems, is there a way of moving the keywords from the .HHK file into the .HTM topics?

Thanks,
      Salan
        • 1. Re: Convert from index file keywords to topic keywords
          EileenPalsson Level 1
          Hi Salan,

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you: There is no automatic way to do this in RoboHelp. You have to do it by hand. I had a discussion about this with eHelp (back in Oct. 2003...). I could forward the email to you, if you wish. A quote:

"We do have request 6390 submitted to our R&D department asking to address this issue. I created an inquiry under your record and tied it to this request. This way in the event that this is a addressed in a service release or next version you will be notified. "

I guess this was with X3, but I never heard anything after that, and I doubt very much that the various new owners would have prioritized this issue.

Anyway, if anyone else knows of an efficient way to do this, please post it, because this is STILL an issue for my team!

Regards,
          Eileen
          • 2. Re: Convert from index file keywords to topic keywords
            EileenPalsson Level 1
            Oh, one more thing: If your reason for storing keywords in topics is so the index will be updated when you import the topics to another project, think again! A bug in RoboHelp makes the index chaotic when you import topics with keywords saved in them (at least, if you use more than one level in your index). This has caused users an unbelievable amount of extra work. For more information, see this thread: "Keywords do not display in the Index Designer".

Here's a relatively painless way of importing topics, though:

1) Using Notepad, open the topic to be imported and “Cut” the keywords.
            2) Save and close the topic.
            3) Import the topic.
            4) Open the topic in the new project, go to True Code view, and “Paste” the keywords.

Good luck!
            /Eileen
            • 3. Re: Convert from index file keywords to topic keywords
              SalanSinclair Level 1
              Thanks so much, Eileen!

It's good to know that it's not possible, just so that I can quit searching for a way to do it.

Sincerely,
              Salan