7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 7:03 PM by oldsara

Premiere 10 Elements can't get info from my CD drive

oldsara Level 1

Elements recognizes my CD drive but says there is nothing in it.  All was working well on my old computer (Windows 7 and I had installed Quicktime on old computer).  Now I have Windows 10 on my new computer and cannot seem to find a way to install Quicktime.  Also I should tell you that this new computer was giving me problems from the start as the CD drive didn't work correctly anyway.  Finally Dell was able to determine that a driver was not installed correctly.  They reinstalled the driver and now everything in my computer recognizes the CD drive except for this problem with Premiere 10:  Premiere 10 will allow me to get media from my files and folders but when I try to get media from my DVD/CD drive, Premiere says, "No supported device has been detected". Although yesterday it said something about the device was empty  (which sounds like it detected the device but it was empty, which it was not).  After Dell reinstalled the  driver, I reinstalled Premiere 10, but the same words came up.  I basically use Premiere 10 to edit videos of DVD (which had been on 16mm and 8 mm film) of my family and then I upload to facebook .  I haven't tried burning a disc on this yet, as I doubt that would work since the DVD drive is not working anyway.

1.  Do I need Quicktime or some other program to help?

2.  Is this a hardware problem ?(Dell says no)

3. Is this because I now have Windows 10?

4. Is there  another program other than Elements that an old lady like me could understand for editing, burning, and uploading?

5. Would an external DVD drive solve my problem?

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Premiere 10 Elements can't get info from my CD drive
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Dead though it may be, until Adobe provides full support for Quicktime, you'll need to download it in order for Premiere Elements to work with your video.

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

You're using an older version of the program, but it should run fine on Windows 10. Worst case, you may need to set the program to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Though I'm concerned about a number of things you're reporting. First, I'm assuming that when you say you're having trouble interfacing with your CD drive, you actually mean your computer's disc drive, which has the ability to play and record DVDs, right?

Second, I'm not sure why Dell is giving you such lousy support. But adding an external disc drive will not likely solve your problems.

It sounds like you're trying to rip files from a video DVD to your computer using Premiere Elements. How exactly are you doing that? Also, what is your computer processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free space on your hard drive?

In any event, it might be very wise to upgrade to at least version 11 of Premiere Elements. Version 11 was a major step forward for the program. It included a major overhaul of the editor so that it's much easier to use and to access its tools. It's also much more stable than older versions and does many more things automatically, so it's harder to mess up a project.

You may want to download the free trial of Premiere Elements 14 from the Adobe site and give it a test drive. It's a very different program than it was five years ago, and you may find that, once you work with the new version of the program, you'll never look back!

• 3. Re: Premiere 10 Elements can't get info from my CD drive
            oldsara Level 1

Thanks, Steve,

I now have the Quicktime.  Thanks for the link.  But the DVD drive is still not recognized.  I have plenty of RAM and  my processor is a 6th generation Intel Core i5-6400 processor.  On my old computer, I just put my DVD in the drive and then in Premiere 10, I just asked for the media in the DVD drive. It was then sent to the timeline.  I edited it, and then uploaded to facebook.  So simple.  How do I go into Premiere and change the setting to Windows 7?

• 4. Re: Premiere 10 Elements can't get info from my CD drive

Browse to the programs' PremiereElementsEditor.exe file in C/Program Files (x86)/Adobe/Premiere Elements 10. Right-click on the file and select Properties. On the Properties panel, go to the Compatibility tab and set the program to run in Windows 7 mode.

But do take my advice and download the free trial of version 14. You can tinker with this old version all day and it may not work with Windows 10's 64-bit drivers. But version 14 is made to run on Windows 10.

• 5. Re: Premiere 10 Elements can't get info from my CD drive
                oldsara Level 1

Thanks, Steve.  I did change the setting as you suggested to Windows 7 (it had been set for Vista---  wow, that was a while ago when I had Vista).   Well, it didn't work.  But I think you are correct in all you said.  I think I found the  problem though.  I downloaded  a program called Filmora to see what would happen and that didn't recognize my DC drive either.  In fact when I searched for media the only things that came up were C: and  D:   but no E: (where my DVD drive is located).  I need to press Dell to get this straightened out.  Is that your advice as well? 

• 6. Re: Premiere 10 Elements can't get info from my CD drive

If no programs can access your drive, yes. Press Dell. Insist that they ensure you have Windows 10 64-bit drivers for your hardware, particularly your disc drive.

Though if some programs can access the drive and some can't, that won't be of much help.

It sounds like this computer came with Windows 10 factory installed. If that's the case and you've ensured that you have the latest Dell drivers for your hardware, downloaded from the Dell web site, it just may not go.

Meantime, have you downloaded version 14 yet to see if it works better on Windows 10? That would be my first move.

• 7. Re: Premiere 10 Elements can't get info from my CD drive
                    oldsara Level 1

I downloaded the trial version of Premiere 14 and it recognized my DVD drive!!!!!!!  so glad!!!!  thanks!!!!!  Now I have to re-learn how to do this version, but that's ok.