16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 5:05 AM by Abambo

transparancy issue when printing pdf

mj56564071

I am designing a brochure, the printer wants this in PDF1.3. I have the following problems with the PDF document that I can't seem to solve:

I have a transparant PSD file placed on a gray background. When I print the PDF there is a very slight blue glow in the places where the PSD file is transparent. This occurs only when i print the file.

How do I fix this? I have looked up the yucky box syndrome but haven't found one of those solutions helpful since my problems only apply to the PDF version.

• 1. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It does sound like YDB. It may or may not show up, by the way, at the commercial printer.

If the printer says this is going to happen on his RIP, you should consider adding a clipping path in Photoshop.

• 2. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the gray a spot colour?

• 3. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
              Abambo Level 4

One workaround could be to eliminate the transparency... By adding the same grey bg to the Photoshop file. You need to be sure to work in a consistant CM environment and your PSD and ID should have the same colour space and profile.

Your bg grey should be a CMYK colour, not a spot colour.

You can check colours in Adobe Professionel. Previewing output (Adobe Acrobat Pro DC)

• 4. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Nobody else has mentioned it so I will. There should be zero reason for this in the year 2016.

Ask the printer pointblank why they are using such an archaic workflow. There are way too many other printers out there that would be more than happy to accept a properly prepared PDF/X-4 file containing transparency.

• 5. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Even with transparency over a spot colour?

• 6. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf

YDB is caused by treating vector and raster content differently during RIPping, not by the color being spot or process. Native frames filled with color are vectors, and .psd files are raster.

I tend to agree with Bob, but there is no way to say whether the printer is still using an old bi-level rip, though the odds are pretty good if he needs pre-flattened PDF.  I the custom flattener is not working (and it SHOULD BE), another option might be to make a large gray-filled image in Photoshop and use that as the background.

• 7. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When I print the PDF there is a very slight blue glow in the places where the PSD file is transparent. This occurs only when i print the file.

From the original post It sound like the problem happens when the OP's proofs to a composite printer—the file hasn't been proofed or printed at the destination press yet. It wouldn't be unusual for an RGB driven composite printer to have color management problems with flattened CMYK. If the wrong color is actually in the PDF, the OP should see a change in CMYK output numbers when comparing InDesign's Sep Preview with AcrobatPro's Output Preview.

• 8. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf

I've seen YDB on a fairly high-end commercial copier. It depends on the RIP.

• 9. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                          Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

I'm pretty sure (not 100% positive) that all imposition software requires flattened files. It is very common, for even high-end printers to use imposition software. Imposition software is used to layout pages, or postcards, or even business cards on a press sheet for printing. So regardless of the RIP, if a job gets imposed, it needs to be flattened.

YDB is such a common problem, that I composite my images with backgrounds in Photoshop first, and then place flattened tiff files in my layout. I know this is old school, and it shouldn't have to be this way in 2016. With this workflow I know for certain that any printer who receives my file can print it.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>all imposition software requires flattened files

I know that this is NOT true. It totally depends on the RIP which the commerical printer is using.

Older RIPs can require flattening. Newer RIPs, like those built on the Adobe PDF Print Engine, do not.

• 11. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                              Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

Steve,

Thanks for clarifying about the imposition software. I've heard that used as an excuse before. Good to know it's not true, but the fact remains that many, many printers require flattened PDF files. If someone knows of an online printer with a newer RIP, I'd love to know who they are, especially if they offer wholesale pricing for small businesses like mine.

• 12. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                                Abambo Level 4

PDF X/4 allows for handling this gracefully. Tiffs and Photoshop files with no transparency behave the same. The PDF gets a flattened picture. I prefer however saving my pictures in TIFF with layers as the files normally are smaller thanks to ZIP compression. They open and save slower however.

• 13. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've seen YDB on a fairly high-end commercial copier. It depends on the RIP.

Right, copiers are composite printers that usually have RGB drivers and won't print actual document CMYK values.

I'm just pointing out that a desktop, RGB composite printer isn't a reliable way of proofing for an offset job. If the color problem is with the flattened CMYK PDF you would see the CMYK numbers change. An obvious test would be to export a PDF/X-4 set to the same CMYK destination in the Output tab—if the color problem persists the problem is with the printer not the requested flattening.

• 14. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf

rob day wrote:

Right, copiers are composite printers that usually have RGB drivers and won't print actual document CMYK values.

Not this one -- Fiery RIP driven state-of-the-art (at the time) Xerox machine. And this is long after PDF workflows were standard.

I'm just pointing out that a desktop, RGB composite printer isn't a reliable way of proofing for an offset job.

Which is why I said it might not show up in the commercial print. It depends entirely on the equipment. That said, bi-level RIPs are older technology and are more likely to be found in shops using older equipment (and a requirement for flattened PDF points in that direction, but is not conclusive).

• 15. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                                      Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

It sounds like you are opening the PDF1.3 (file for print provider) and printing from Acrobat to your desktop printer? If so, from Acrobat, in print window, select the Advanced Button. There you will see an option to "Print as Image". Select this option along with at least 300dpi and this will eliminate the slightly shaded areas on your print.

• 16. Re: transparancy issue when printing pdf
                                        Abambo Level 4

This may help on the fly! Acobat does the ripping part and send only an image. The final print may still be wrong. OP did not mention how the proof print was generated. Inhouse or at the service providers facility?