14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 4:27 AM by Johnson156

trouble placing pictures

alz30785086

I'm a new InDesign user. When I try to place certain jpgs, they just turn the picture box black. Other jpgs come in just fine. I've tried to figure out the difference the pictures that import and the ones that don't, but they look the same to me.

• 1. Re: trouble placing pictures
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Try to save with other format, for example tiff and see what happen.

• 2. Re: trouble placing pictures
            Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

Dd you already use Fit to frame proportionaly? Maybe the image is just very large so you see only a (black) part of it...

• 3. Re: trouble placing pictures
              Abambo Level 4

First check the picture outside of ID. Can the image be viewed by the OS? If so, follow my second advice. If not, it may not be a corrrect JPEG image, but then I doubt you can place it.

Right click the image (even if black) and choose fitting image to frame. I suspect the DPI value in the file being very low, the file being a high resolution image so that the resulting size of the image is to huge for fitting the frame. It shows only part of the image and that part may be black.

ID looks into the header info of the picture to get the intended display size. That display size is influenced by the DPI parameter which influences the size in cm or inches of the picture for a given resolution. ID can cope with any DPI value and the value is not important for being able to use the picture. For reasons beyond this explanation however, it is usefull to have the size in inches or cm at a correct value.

If that does not help, you need to post screen shots.

• 4. Re: trouble placing pictures
                alz30785086 Level 1

I tried replying earlier, but it didn't seem to work. Not only can't I work InDesign, but I can't manage the Adobe forum either.

I tried several of the things you mentioned, but nothing worked. Here's some additional info: I'm working on a template, and what I'm doing is replacing one picture with another. So there may be something going on that I can't see. Also, I was able to import a color photo from that folder into that picture box, but when I changed it from color to grayscale in photoshop, I was unable to place it. Very strange.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: trouble placing pictures
                  Abambo Level 4

I would suggest the following:

Post one of your JPEGs in Dropbox or similar. You may also post your InDesign file (or better a stripped down version, just with the part creating the problem.

alz30785086 wrote:

Also, I was able to import a color photo from that folder into that picture box, but when I changed it from color to grayscale in photoshop, I was unable to place it. Very strange.

I need more information on that. I was unable to place it is to generic. But may be seeing your files will help.

• 6. Re: trouble placing pictures
                    jane-e Adobe Community Professional

alz30785086 wrote:

I tried replying earlier, but it didn't seem to work. Not only can't I work InDesign, but I can't manage the Adobe forum either.

I tried several of the things you mentioned, but nothing worked.

Help in managing the Adobe forum is here, including how to take and post the screen shot that is being asked for.

Forum FAQs

When you say, "nothing worked", please be more specific. What exactly did you try, and what, exactly, were the results. It's hard for us to make guesses, sometimes, without better information and / or screenshots to pinpoint what is going on.

1. Did you convert to tiff? How? What were the results?

2. What is the ppi of the image?

3. Did you select Fit to Frame? What were the results?

4. When you changed the image to grayscale, how did you do it? What format did you save it in? What is the extension?

And those screenshots, with the title bar!

(Otherwise, we continue to make generic guesses, and you don't want that!)

• 7. Re: trouble placing pictures
                      alz30785086 Level 1

placing photo.jpgresult of placing photo.jpg
                      Okay, screen shots.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes I did convert this picture to TIFF in Photoshop, and the results were the same.

2. The picture is 251.4 K. It is 2 inches by 1.43 inches with a resolution of 300. It is 600 pixels by 429 pixels.

3. It did try fit to frame. I tried every button there. Nothing worked

4. I changed an image (not the one in these screen shots) to grayscale in Photoshop in the usual way. I saved it as a JPG, which it already was. The extension was .jpg. I only mention this because when it was a color photo, it imported. When it was a black and white photo, it did not.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: trouble placing pictures
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Would be helpful, I think, to also see the layers panel with the layers expanded and the black image selected.

• 9. Re: trouble placing pictures
                          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Select the black frame and take two screen shots:

1. Layers (expanded) for Peter

2. Links (wide enough to see all settings) for me.

So far I have caught this from the Control Panel:

1. The image is 4.7795 x 3.83 (not 2 x 1.43)

2. It has a black fill.

If it is grayscale, it can be colorized in InDesign. What happens if you change the fill of the frame to None? Does that fix it?

• 10. Re: trouble placing pictures
                            Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Sound like he want to add a black border to image then extended the frame to be large than image and apply black color. If there's need to border you can added it with stroke.

• 11. Re: trouble placing pictures
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

jane-e has reminded me there is a bug in the 11.4 release that affects colorized grayscale photos, and there may be a connection to this problem as well. Does it change if you turn on Overprint Preview?

• 12. Re: trouble placing pictures
                                JanCE Level 1

I was able to replicate the situation in (MacOSX) CS5. The problem is in the way inDesign places the grayscale images - it somehow applies black fill to the placed image which than blends with black fill of frame. - No effects/blending modes are applied.

Screen shot 2016-08-16 at 9.57.32.png

The work around can be to have two frames above each other and have the photo be placed in the top frame with no fill (of frame) and bottom frame to have the black fill...

is there a different sollution?

• 13. Re: trouble placing pictures
                                  philippanmei Level 4

This is because of the Image black and white issue.. See the images and example

1. Select the place image (below image is an image which i have place in the frame)

01.gif

2. And choose Fill color as white

02.gif

3. Again fill the the color as Registration (Black)

03.gif

Hope this will help you

Thanks

2 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: trouble placing pictures
                                    Johnson156 Level 1

Thank you Philip....

I loved it, If I have right to mark as correct answer, definitely I will mark it. thanks again