6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2006 2:45 AM by Peter Grainge

Issues in the scrolling of TOC

ajay_kumar143
      When there are more than say 35 TOC's in a Book and there are scroll bars. If you clink on a topic which is higher than 35 say 50th topic the topic list scrolls back to the Book and displays 1 to 35 topic. Though the selected topic is 50.

We want the topic scroll bar to reamain at the point where it is selected, we do not want it to refresh and go back to the top of the list.

Could you please suggest how can this be achived? This has become a show stopper in our current project.
        • 1. Re: Issues in the scrolling of TOC
          CraigCC Level 2
          Hi Ajay,

Not sure what you mean here - hard to picture this behaviour. This sounds like it may be an issue with the autosynchronising the TOC.

Check under the window properties, their is a flag/checkbox for Auto-Synchronise TOC. Are you seeing this behaviour when you click on links within topics or when you click directly on items in the TOC?

thanks
          Craig
          • 2. Re: Issues in the scrolling of TOC
            ElisaFnord Level 2
            Hi, Ajay.

Bad news. If your output is WebHelp viewed through Internet Explorer, this appears to be a browser thing. There are several threads about this in the WebHelp forum, and this one is typical.

If you do find a solution, please post it - the RoboHelp world will be grateful!

Elisa
            • 3. Re: Issues in the scrolling of TOC
              ajay_kumar143 Level 1
              Hi CraigCC,

I am clicking directly the item in TOC, that time the TOC is going back to topic heading (TOC Main book).
              • 4. Re: Issues in the scrolling of TOC
                ajay_kumar143 Level 1
                Hi Elisa Firth ,

I can give u solution for this TOC problem.
                Solution: After generating the project, go to !SSL! folder and go to WebHelp_Pro folder in that open "whthost.js".
                In that remove this fallowing line ( this line will be there arround 734 line)
                "document.body.scrollTop=nNewScroll;
                or put comments to the line like this "//document.body.scrollTop=nNewScroll;"
                • 5. Re: Issues in the scrolling of TOC
                  ElisaFnord Level 2
                  Thanks, Ajay! This is great news!

Please mark your post as the answer - I know I'm not the only person who will be interested.

Elisa Firth
                  • 6. Re: Issues in the scrolling of TOC
                    Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                    I've just done some testing on this and found the problem and solution are not quite as simple as thought.

First, as far as my tests showed, the problem only arises with IE. The highlighting works in Firefox.

Second the solution does indeed work in IE but it makes things worse in Firefox. It removes the highlighting from the previously highlighted topic but does not move to the correct book.

So it's a great solution if you know your users are IE only but you may be better off leaving things untouched if you have no control over the browser used or know it will be Firefox.