13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2016 1:53 PM by Peter Spier

Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel

PKTstudio

Can someone tell me what this sideways triangle means in the "Tabs" area of the Paragraph Styles Panel? When I initially created the Style, the text frame was 18picas wide but now it is 29 picas wide ... THANK YOU!

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 12.25.20 PM.png

• 1. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Paragraph's right indent setting.

• 2. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel
            PKTstudio Level 1

What is a "right indent setting"?? I just set the style as a paragraph formatted as flush left. I made no specifications for indents....

• 3. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel
              philippanmei Level 4

See the images

You have applied a tab key on 29 scale.. removed it.

02.gif

Apply tab key in between the white area shown below

01.gif

Thanks

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel
                andrewb38571671 Level 1

Every paragraph style has a right indent, just as it has a left indent. The default is 0, so the text will go right to the right edge of the frame. If you were to set it to, say, 10mm, the text would wrap 10mm from the right edge.

• 5. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Right intent is often used for table of contents. You give a right intent for example 10mm to the right and last line intent –10mm, this helps to create outstanding page numbers out of the block of text.

If you want to create a distance to the frame, it would be better done via text inset in text frame options, best set up with object styles.

• 6. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel
                    jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Hi @,

To confirm that your frame is still 18p0, select it with the Selection tool and look at the Width in the Control panel.

• In this next example I have the Type tool and have set two tabs using the Tabs panel. You can see that the Right Indent marker is selected.

• In the Tabs ruler it says the right indent is 1p6. In the Control panel it says the same thing for the right indent: 1p6. You can change it in either place.

• While you can slide over to view the dark grey area, it indicates the area beyond boundaries of the frame.

• You can set Tabs in the Tabs ruler or in the Paragraph styles panel.

• The best practice in InDesign is to use Paragraph styles for all of your text, as you are doing.

• 7. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel
                      PKTstudio Level 1

Thank you ALL SO MUCH for your various answers; I learned many things here about the paragraph style options panel which I had never considered (or noticed) before! Here's what had happened. I'm re-formatting a book which was printing narrow columns at 19p6, and now will have columns 29p6 wide. I loaded the previous text styles and then just wanted to adjust them to accommodate the wider columns. I was stumped with that triangle which apparently indicates the width of the text box which is currently selected -- never really paid attn to it before. So when i went into the Tabs pane to pull my tabs further to the right, I couldn't figure out why my tabs would be positioned past this triangle Now I've moved it and looked back at the "indents and spacing" pane and see that it is an adjustment for that right indent.  I rarely adjust that right indent anyway, and never would have adjusted it in the "tabs" pane.  Thank you all for taking the time to help me through this!

• 8. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel
                        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If you change from a single column to multi column you should never work with the intends, the only correct way from CS5 upwards is to work with multi column frames, before it was to work with multiple frames on the same page.

• 9. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel

Correct, Willi.

I do want to point out that @PKTstudio's screen shot showed the right indent at the right margin (0p0) and the question was "what is this thing?"

It was my screen shot where I moved the right indent to 1p6 and also showed the right indent marker in the Tabs panel along with the right indent text box in the Control panel for informational purposes.

The only time I set a right indent that I can think of right now is for block quotes that are set in on both sides.

• 10. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel

I have to disagree (as usual) with Willi's blanket assertion that the only correct way to work is with multi-column frames. Threaded columns also have their place in some workflows, and we have no idea if or why anyone who posts uses one or the other unless they give us that information. I have projects that use multi-column frames, and others that use threaded frames, depending on which allows me the most/easiest control over the text flow in the circumstances required.

As to the assertion that when you switch from single column to multi-column you should not use the indents, that to me is just absurd. Left and right indents (as shown on the tab ruler) are paragraph properties and have nothing at all to do with the number, or width, of the columns. If, as jane-e mentions, you have a style that requires an indent (lists, block quotes,?) then you use the indents. If the column is too narrow to support the indents you need to re-think the styles and/or the layout choices.

• 11. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel

I believe someone also mentioned you should not have a tab beyond the edge of the column. This is actually a reasonable way to add a tab leader to a right-indent tab.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel

Very clever, @Peter Spier! It worked once I read what you said correctly!

• 13. Re: Tabs area of Paragraph Styles Panel

I have to give the cleverness credit to Dave Saunders, I'm afraid. He's very clever.