14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 5:35 PM by milkmade

Recommended Graphics Card help

Smartin18 Level 1

I was wondering if any tech experts ccould help me on my set up please. I want to upgrade my graphics card and don't mind spending the money with cost Vs value in mind and not spending loads more for a small improvements. This is my set up

Motherboard: Asus Intel X99 Deluxe 2

Processor: Intel i7 5960X @ 3.00Ghz (overclocked 4.2Ghz)

Ram: 64g (X4 16g)

Graphics Card: Nvidia Quadro K4200

HHD: (X2) Samsung Evo (one running C drive, the other running Media Cache)

HHD: WD Black 4T (main storage)

I notice when working on premire, i start to loose frames when adding Lumetri or working in 4k. My graphics card will be maxing out in GPU so i'm guessing that is the bottle neck. I was looking at  a new Quadro M5000 but then i've heard these are overkill for Adobe and not needed these days. If so, can someone advise me what card i should get or some options and what benefits the more expensive cards would achieve.

I mainly use Premiere & after effects (& media encoder)

any help would be greatful, thanks guys

[Comments forum is to discuss the forums... moved to Hardware forum... Mod]

• 1. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

According to what I have read, a quaddro card is only needed when you have a 10 bit monitor, so a GTX card gives better performance for less cost

I don't know which GTX card you should use, but you might look at the 1080

• 2. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
            Smartin18 Level 1

Sorry i should've mentioned i have (X2) Dell 'UP2716D' 10bit monitors

• 3. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
              jamiem61473480

I would recommend the Quddro card if you have the cash, recommended by Adobe and Media Composer.

• 4. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

If you have your project and 4k media on that hard disk drive your weakness may be that.  Rather than make that very expensive GPU upgrade.  I would suggest trying to experiment and run all that project off your second SSD if you have enough room on it or just add a U.2 SSD for your project files and get that hard disk drive out of editing use and only use it for archiving or backup purposes.

• 5. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
                  Smartin18 Level 1

I already from my projects off the SDD for the media cache. DO you think and M.2 SSD would make a massive difference over this?

• 6. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help

I am not sure that your motherboard would really support a true M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 SSD.  Here is the info from ASUS:  "1 x M.2 Socket 3, with vertical M Key design, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (Support PCIE SSD only)"  notice the lack of the "x4" lane count in their specification.  See if you can verify otherwise.

• 7. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
                      milkmade Level 1

Bill all that means is that there is only 1 m.2 slot, as in "1x item". 1x is not the same as x1.

I have that motherboard, it supports true gen 3 x4 SSDs, like all new x99 motherboards.

From the specifications:

M.2
                      1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (Support PCIE SSD only)*4

4* M.2 shares bandwidth with U.2, only one device can be activated at a time
                      • 8. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help

I am glad you found the fine print.  And yes that would be a great place for a Samsung 950 Pro which is at least 3x faster than the EVO SSD's

• 9. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
                          milkmade Level 1

Hey Bill, since I have you here, instead of making another thread - I'm in the market for a 950 Pro as well...what do you think about the drive size, 256GB vs 512GB? I see from the specs the 512GB is faster but I'm trying to be realistic with myself. I typically only have 1-2 active projects going on at once, which could easily fit on the 256GB with room to spare..But then again I cant predict my future workloads and was wondering, would it be silly to buy the 256GB? I just don't want to spend that much on a single storage item...$320 for the 512GB...$187 for the 256GB is a little easier to swallow financially...But I also don't want to waste my money, so if the 512 is the way to go, I'll likely force myself to make it work.

Thoughts?

• 10. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
                            RjL190365 Level 4

The 256GB version of the 950 Pro is about 40 percent slower in sequential write speed compared to its 512GB sibling.

• 11. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
                              milkmade Level 1

Wow, good to know. Thank you.

• 12. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
                                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

Smartin18 wrote:

I notice when working on premire, i start to loose frames when adding Lumetri or working in 4k. My graphics card will be maxing out in GPU so i'm guessing that is the bottle neck.

if the lost frames only happens after adding lumetri fx, it may be the gpu like you suspect. you said its maxing out in gpu, did you mean gpu-z? if not you can download it to verify gpu usage. if you are using highly compressed, low bitrate media, it may be fine on the hdd. but you can test some media and projects on the ssd like bill mentioned, to verify if a storage upgrade is needed or not.

instead buying of a new expensive quadro, another possible option is to use a gtx 1070 or 1080 with your quadro k4200. using the gtx card for cuda compute and the quadro only for gui or display to both monitors. this can be controlled with the nvidia control panel per application, with the cuda setting. i guess its a little tricky to get the geforce and quadro drivers both installed. you would need to have enough free pcie slots and resources to run two video cards too. the quadro should be ok at x8, if you needed those extra lanes...

Can I run Nvidia Geforce and Quadro cards in th... |Adobe Community

NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards? |Adobe Community

• 13. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
                                  Smartin18 Level 1

Thanks everyone for your help on this, leant some new things. 1, the scratch disks on Adobe, which i thought used as a temporary storage for media in Premiere, doesn't actually do that, so have been playing off my standard HD!!

The 4k raw footage that i'm using is maxing out my GPU from downloading GPU-Z. But the 50fps HD footage i'm using is not maxing out my GPU but my HD, so will experiment on the SSD's now using the Copy proxies Adobe have just introduced.

I think i won't be in a hurry to buy a new Quadro card as probably not essentially needed, but would help. Interesting about using a geforce card as a secondary one just for processing. Will be looking into that for sure.

• 14. Re: Recommended Graphics Card help
                                    milkmade Level 1

Just snatched up a 950 pro 512gb for $280 off Amazon Wherehouse. Called and asked the condition, they said it was brand new with damaged packaging, never opened w/ full manufacturer's warranty. Done and done~ thanks guys