5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 5:15 AM by Per Berntsen

Lightroom 3.6 will not longer open NEF

adevilsdare

Here's my deal:

For some reason my computer required me to re-install almost all of my adobe programs. Before this reinstallation I had not problems.

I reinstalled my version of Adobe Lightroom and now it will not longer read, open, or give me a preview of Nikon D3300 NEF files. I know for a fact it allowed me to before hand because I used both a Nikon D3300 and D5000 for a wedding just before this random reinstallation.

I literally have no idea what to do. I don't know what the problem is and I have problems understanding software updates and plug ins. I've tried 3 different SD cards, taking pictures right now and trying to open them. Not only will Lightroom refuse to open them, but photoshop won't either. I don't even know why it required me to re-install my programs.

Please help!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 3.6 will not longer open NEF
          dj_paige Level 9

LIghtroom 3.6 never could read or previews NEF from a Nikon D3300, but it should read the D5000 NEF files.

Exactly what happens when you try? Describe in detail. If there is an error message, please quote the complete exact unedited word-for-word error message.

Is there any change you had a more recent version of Lightroom than 3.6 before the re-installation?

• 2. Re: Lightroom 3.6 will not longer open NEF
            adevilsdare Level 1

I have only ever had Lightroom 3.6. I used this program to edit files for a wedding April 18th 2015 with no problem with both cameras, as well as several times since.

After the reinstallation, if that was even what happened (it needed my serial number and to go through the start up options again), it will now no longer read the files.

-Preview Unavailable for this file

-Try importing the file anyway:

-The file is from a camera which is not recognized by the raw format support i Lightroom. (1).

When attempting to open the file in Photoshop CS6:

-Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document.

I know for a fact I have used both cameras before this issue happened in both programs. I have no idea what happened.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 3.6 will not longer open NEF
              Bob Somrak Level 5

As DJ said, the D3300 needs Camera Raw 8.4 and/or Lightroom 5.4 so the files WILL NOT be read by Lightroom 3.6.

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 3.47.48 PM.png

Cameras supported by Adobe Camera Raw

• 4. Re: Lightroom 3.6 will not longer open NEF
                dj_paige Level 9

adevilsdare wrote:

I have only ever had Lightroom 3.6. I used this program to edit files for a wedding April 18th 2015 with no problem with both cameras, as well as several times since.

After the reinstallation, if that was even what happened (it needed my serial number and to go through the start up options again), it will now no longer read the files.

-Preview Unavailable for this file

-Try importing the file anyway:

-The file is from a camera which is not recognized by the raw format support i Lightroom. (1).

When attempting to open the file in Photoshop CS6:

-Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document.

I know for a fact I have used both cameras before this issue happened in both programs. I have no idea what happened.

I will stick by my answer, that Lightroom 3.6 cannot read D3300 files. The exact source of that information is given above by Bob Somrak. This is confirmed by the error message you are quoting.

Do you get the same message with both cameras? Or a different message from each camera?

Are you 100% sure that you have installed Lightroom 3.6 now? Go to Help->System Info and tell us what version of Lightroom is stated there.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 3.6 will not longer open NEF
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Could it be that you have been shooting jpgs with the D3300?

LR 3.6 will import jpgs from this camera, but not raw files.

As for opening D3300 raw files in Photoshop CS6, you may have to update the camera raw plugin - you need version 8.4 or later.