3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 2:14 AM by jamiem61473480

Adobe NLE build - comments please

jamiem61473480

Hi Folks,

This is my first Adobe PC build, any comments would be muchly appreciated, if a little over the top then good :-)

CPU - Intel Core i7 6700K 4Ghz s1151 Skylake (6th Generation)

Fan - Probably water cool, probably bloody big fan??

M/B - (LS) MSI Z170A Gaming Pro ATX Motherboard - s1151,DDR4, M.2, SLi, / 4 DDR slots.

Power Supply - Corsair CX750W 80+ Bronze ATX PSU 12cm Fan Black

RAM - Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz Vengeance LPX Black

Case - Corsair SPEC-02 ATX w/Red LED 7x PCI Slots Mid-Tower ATX

HDD/Scratch - Kingston 240GB 2.5" SSD SUV400 up to 550MB/s Read and 450MB/s Write

HDD/C drive - Kingston 480GB 2.5" SSD SUV400 up to 550MB/s Read and 500MB/s Write

HDD/Media -  (LS) WD Black 4TB SATA3 64MB 3.5" 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD

Graphics - Leadtek Quadro M2000 4GB Workstation Card - DDR5,PCIe,4x DP1.2,Full height,1Slot

Operating - Win 10 Pro

Monitor - Philips BDM4350US 43" 4k UHD IPS LED Monitor

OK.... I have had experience around Media Composer HP builds and based the graphics card on this, it is 4k on 4 ports which is good. The CPU beats some of the bottom range 'professional' CPU's, heaps of fast RAM. The SSD drives are cheap as chips now, although I have no experience with 'scratch' disks, is it good to have another drive or put it on the C drive?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe NLE build - comments please
          RjL190365 Level 4

There is one significant problem with that system:

If you picked a non-modular CX750, be forewarned that it cannot handle anywhere near its advertised "750W" rating. In fact, it barely qualifies as a 550W PSU in realistic conditions.

And that Quadro M2000, frankly, performs almost exactly equal to a GeForce GTX 950 - but it costs nearly four times as much money.

• 2. Re: Adobe NLE build - comments please
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

which gpu is needed will vary depending on how many gpu fx and lumetri color fx are used. 6700k and quadro m2000 are more for HD/1080p editing. if you don't need 10bit display the gtx 960 4gb will be faster and cheaper for HD. if you are actually building for 4k you will want to look at the 6-10 core i7 cpu's overclocked on the x99 platform, with a faster gtx or quadro card. if you only need 10bit for a second monitor as full screen playback, you can use a gtx card with a display i/o card from blackmagic or aja.

large air coolers do pretty well and have less to fix/replace when they break. noctua air coolers are some of the best, with cryorig not too far behind.

if you want a quiet case, you can look for cases like the fractal design r5 or some of the corsair silent cases.

i would stick with samsung ssd's, 850 evo are affordable. its ok to have the cache files on the C: drive with os/apps. if you are using the scratch setting for video capture, then it would be best to have it on a fast isolated drive.

i wouldn't want to entrust all that hardware with a lower quality power supply. corsair power supplies, like most other brands, are hit and miss. the corsair rmx or rmi models are good, but not the older corsair rm. evga g2 models are also good quality.

• 3. Re: Adobe NLE build - comments please
              jamiem61473480 Level 1

Thanks for the replies, I am still happy with the workhorse M2000 but will seriously look at a better power supply.