7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 2:11 AM by Gerben Wierda

Frame anchoring and caption numbering problems

Gerben Wierda Level 1

I have a book with a lot of pages (220) and a lot of captioned images (345). All my frames that hold images and captions need to be anchored, because if I don't anchor them all, the numbering of the captions goes haywire. ID seems to number first all the anchored and inline ones, then numbers the rest on appearance ((I'd like it to number them all on appearance).

Now, I have a frame that has to sit on the top-left corner of the RHS of a spread. If the anchor moves to after the image, ID will nog wrap text around it, so the anchor must go to the LHS. But when I did that, the RHS stopped displaying its text. I found the reason for that one, I was dragging the anchor inside a hyperlink (the reference to the picture). So, now I've dragged the anchor just beyond the hyperlink on the LHS, but now the frame with the image and caption on the RHS doesn't wrap text anymore. Probably because the anchor in in another (previous) frame?

I can get all the frames to wrap by making them all unanchored but that is a pain when editing a document. Besides, having now turned them all back to unanchored, the numbering remains a bit weird in that the frame with caption "View 6: bla bla" appears visually before the frame with caption "View 5: foo bar" and I have no idea what I can do about that:

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 13 August 15.14.12.png

Apart from ID CC crashing constantly when trying to manipulate the anchoring of frames, is there a way I can get around this? What I would like is to have my views anchored, but also wrapped and the Caption Paragraph Styles in my frames to have a nicely ordering of its numbering.

• 1. Re: Frame anchoring and caption numbering problems
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

What I would like is to have my views anchored, but also wrapped and the Caption Paragraph Styles in my frames to have a nicely ordering of its numbering.

What's the problem if the anchor object is not extended out off the column width?

• 2. Re: Frame anchoring and caption numbering problems
            Gerben Wierda Level 1

I'm sorry, Salah, I do not understand the reply.

• 3. Re: Frame anchoring and caption numbering problems
              Salah Fadlabi Level 5

I meant that if the object frame is width of the column you can anchored to text. But as you mention ID CC crashing constantly when trying to manipulate the anchoring of frames, are you trying to trash indesign preferences?

• 4. Re: Frame anchoring and caption numbering problems
                Gerben Wierda Level 1

I'm sorry, Salah, I still don't understand you. What do you mean "are you trying to trash indesign preferences"? I'm not trying to trash preferences. I'm trying to do stuff in ID. Do you mean perhaps that I should trash ID preferences (and maybe caches) (i.e. "have you tried trashing the ID preferences")?

Currently I have no crashes (as all the frames are now unanchored), and I'm above all looking for an answer to my issue with caption numbering.

• 5. Re: Frame anchoring and caption numbering problems
                  Salah Fadlabi Level 5
                  and I'm above all looking for an answer to my issue with caption numbering.

This because frame not anchored

If when you anchor frames indesign crashing constantly, then try

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

• 6. Re: Frame anchoring and caption numbering problems
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Currently I have no crashes (as all the frames are now unanchored), and I'm above all looking for an answer to my issue with caption numbering.

Can you post a file, to a service like Dropbox or something? I am trying to follow your reasoning as to why text won't wrap around an anchored object, but I can't quite follow you. Let me see if I am understanding this correctly:

You want text to wrap easily around all anchored frames. You have a frame that is supposed to sit in the upper left hand corner of the right-hand spread. So you drop its anchor at the text at the end of the left-hand spread. That is what I'd do, too. But then: that's where I lose you. The picture you posted doesn't seem to relate to your description. Are the frames on the right-hand-spread and the left-hand-spread threaded to each other? Where's the hyperlink in your description? Is it "Business Role"?

Check out my screenshot: if the two frames are threaded, then it doesn't matter where I put my anchor for the yellow caption-object, text will still wrap.

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 1.01.00 PM.png

I suspect that your frames aren't threaded. In my screenshot, note that I've turned on all of the invisibles (hidden characters, frame edges, text threading) so that you can see what is going on. If you need post another screen cap, I suggest you do the same. The dotted line shows where the anchor is, and the solid diagonal shows text threading.

In general, when people try layouts like the one you seem to be working on, I advise them to rebuild from the ground up using the "LetterHalf" page size, instead of a full letter-size page set up landscape with column guides. It tends to make numbering issues easier to work on. I'm not telling you to do this now - obviously, you'd need to reformat from the ground up, and the effort invested might not pay off - but if trashing your prefs doesn't resolve your crashing, you may want to rebuild the doc anyways, and using letterhalf might resolve some of your placement-and-numbering issues.

• 7. Re: Frame anchoring and caption numbering problems
                      Gerben Wierda Level 1

Hi Joel,

I can't share this document. Copyright-protected stuff that should not be easily pirated. I'm sorry.

I'm also not going to to a complete rebuild if I can avoid it. That is going to take me weeks and it isn't certain it is going to solve my issue. I've invested a lot in getting the layout right a few years ago and I can't spend the time on relearning everything I need to know to get that right again.

Currently, with the unanchored frames, ID does not crash, so I can work on. Maybe I should just work with unanchored frames until the very end of this update and then go back to try to get the numbering right.

I'm certain my page frames are threaded correctly (text flows from page to page without problems). Note, the example did not show the issue with anchored images (and text not shown / crashes), these are now all unanchored. I'm just looking for a way to influence the Caption Paragraph Style's numbering in such a way that the numbers are in a decent order.

(However, with the image frames back on the pages instead of keeping them outside the pages, I'm now running again in extremely slow typing in ID the further I am in my story. I can solve that a bit by using the Story Editor, but still.