4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 7:33 PM by Steve Grisetti

Video effect: Sharpen... looks great until I render

victoriab61435291

Using PE14...

I have raw footage that seems very blurry, even though it was filmed on a 4k camera using auto-focus.

I applied the SHARPEN video effect to each clip, and immediately, the clips look more crisp and in focus.  I left the "Sharpen Amount" set at 0 (Zero) because the images looked so much better just by applying the effect with the "amount" set to zero.  When I rendered, everything looked blurry again.

Then I set the "Sharpen Amount" to 10 and rendered again.  Everything is pixilated with white confetti, and the rendered clip looks bad.

Then I set the "Sharpen Amount" to 1 and rendered again.  Everything is blurry again.

How can I get the nicely-clear images (when the "Sharpen Amount" is set to zero) to remain after I render?

• 1. Re: Video effect: Sharpen... looks great until I render
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are your Project Settings? is your project set up for 4K video? (Look under Project Settings, under the Edit menu.)

When you say "render" do you mean render your timeline for preview or do you mean Export & Share? And if Export & Share, which export resolution and format are you using?

Also, where is this 4K footage from? Is it from a camcorder or a non-camcorder source? That can make a HUGE difference!

• 2. Re: Video effect: Sharpen... looks great until I render
            victoriab61435291 Level 1

When I used the word "render", I was referring to the RENDER button that says : " For smooth, high quality playback, render your timeline."

Where is the 4K footage from?

Sony FDR-AX33 HandyCam.jpg

I bought a SONY 4K FDR-AX33 HandyCam, mounted it on a tripod, and captured a 2-hour voice recital.

I imported the files to my Toshiba laptop.  Then I began making my movie with PE14.

I did not go into "Project Settings"... I simply used the defaults.

I would be grateful if you could suggest what I need to do under Project Settings.

EDIT > Project Settings >  has 3 pages:  General, capture, and Video Rendering.

What information goes where? I don't know what I'm looking for.

• 3. Re: Video effect: Sharpen... looks great until I render
              terrys30580497 Level 3

Look under General. See if the Frame Size matches the Pixel Dimensions of your Camera

123.png

If not start a new project because you cannot alter projects settings once you have started it.

Give your project a name but do not choose any project settings.

1234.png

Make sure the first clip you place in the timeline is the 4K footage from your camera and Premiere Elements will automatically set your project settings to match your footage.

Regards,Terry

• 4. Re: Video effect: Sharpen... looks great until I render
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks, Terry. Those are very helpful illustrations!

But, Victoria, note that the rendering you are doing is merely creating a preview of your timeline. It has nothing to do with your final output. Meantime, go to the General page of the program's Preferences (under the Edit menu on a PC) and make sure your render quality is set to the highest. Then right-click on the Monitor panel and ensure that your viewing quality is set to Highest. This will at least ensure that your timeline render will look as good as your final output.