12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 7:51 AM by carolynd31325936

Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available

carolynd31325936 Level 1

I cannot get the narration to record because I get a message saying that my current hardware selection does not have any input channels. But when I go to the audio hardware selections there is only one option, "Premiere Elements WDM sound".  Clearly, whatever this is does not work.

When I went online to look at youtube videos or other instructions, the poster in question seems to have a great number of selections, but not on my computer. I even tried another windows computer I have but it has the same problem. It will not record with or without head phones.

BTW, the headphones work, as i am able to make great recordings on the Windows resident voice recorder.  But I cannot import these into Premiere .

I am using a 64-bit windows 10 computer.

If I cannot get the narrator working, I would love to be able to import sound clips from my resident sound recorder, but the system will not do this either.  Is there some way to render these files into a format which can then be imported into Premiere 14?  It's a very high quality sound recorder.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say how you've got your microphone plugged into your computer -- through your audio card or via USB -- but that can make a difference.

In any event, first go to Windows' Control Panel for Sound and ensure the correct microphone is set as your Default under Recording.

Then, in Premiere Elements, go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware and click Settings. Make sure your microphone is selected under the Input tab.

• 2. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available

You can also record your narration in a separate program, like Audacity, the great free program I recommend in my books.

Save your recordings as WAV files and then import them into your project.

• 3. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available
              carolynd31325936 Level 1

Dear Steve,

Thanks so much for taking the time to get back to me.  I really appreciate it.

In reading your response, I think I followed all of the steps you outlined.  I am using a mic that has a jack, not a USB connector.  And I recall seeing the dialogue box where there was a choice of two mics and although I cannot remember exactly how I arrived at the one I chose, I do recall testing them both and deciding that one was more likely than the other (I do recall that both choices appeared to be the same)

The real difficulty came when I got to that part where you choose audio hardware.  That was the part I mentioned in my headline.  There were no options except "Premiere-something-or-other" (please refer to my original post).  Clearly, that option was not working.

I went online to look at videos of people who were trying to use the narration function, as well as reading at least a dozen descriptions of the process.  In the videos, it is clear there are many options, just not on my computer, or the other computer I tested it on just to make sure it was not a hardware issue.

So, then I went back to my original option, which was to record directly into the Windows voice Recorder.  I had already recorded three clips but could not import them into the project assets.  I discovered, just by the chance discovery of an online dialogue, that, although Premiere says they are compatible with w4a files, they are in fact, NOT.

That was when I downloaded several recommended programs, including Audacity (which advertised being able to convert these files, but then turned out not to be able to do it). Finally I found a program called "maniac", converted the files to MP3 and was able to upload them into the program.  This is the way I would prefer to do it anyway.

The reason I am going into such detail with you about this last bit is that I am stymied by another problem, which may be a hardware issue, or it may be that I did not convert the files to WAV.  The resulting voice recording is VERY faint when I listen to it on the laptop speakers.  Compared to the other files in the project (I am editing a video) it is barely audible.  I have adjusted the clip volume in Premiere, but it is still very tinny and slight.  However, if I listen to the voice recording on my headset, it sounds great.

My question is this (and believe me I would not ask you except I am not really sure who to ask--maybe it is a problem with this particular laptop).  If the audio is good on my headset, then, if I edit the audio of the film using my headset, will this be the sound that the viewer will eventually be able to hear when I finally render the video, or would it make sense to go back to the people who sold me the computer and find out if there is some kind of problem with the sound chip?

If you do not want to get back to me about this particular problem, I totally understand. I am so grateful for your help thus far as it confirms that I pretty much tried everything you suggested and arrived at the same solution you did (except I did not know that you could actually recorded into Audacity--perhaps I should try that and see if that solves the volume issue (?)).  Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers!

Carolyn

Carolyn Dallman Downes, M.Ed

Registered Psychotherapist,

[Personal info removed by Mod]

• 5. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available

Thanks for the picture, Ann.

As Ann's illustration shows, you open this option panel by clicking on the Settings button, as I said above.

• 6. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I had the same question a few days ago on my Dutch forum.

It seem that (the hover over) the input and output tab are not very clear.

• 7. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available
                    carolynd31325936 Level 1

Thanks, Ann and Steve,

I went back to the page in question.  I am not sure what happened, but this time I pressed the "output" tab and when I went back to the "input" tab there were suddenly two selections, both already checked.  I went back to the Narration Dialogue box and now, it work.

Thanks so much for your help, not only the technical information, but also your support.  I had spent the better part of a day unable to do what should have been a relatively simple task.  I was so grateful that you all responded so quickly, as I really felt at the end of my meagre technical resources.

However, the problem of the low volume/thin sound persists.  Does anyone know if this is something I should worry about (since, over the headphones the sound is excellent)?  It is just if I edit without the headphones you cannot hear my voice over the music track underneath it (BTW, the music track sounds fine, as do the video clips in the film. It is only the narrated/recorded voice-over that seems very faint).  I don't want to do a lot of fairly complex audio editing, only to have it all have to be redone at the end.

I will mark this resolved as soon as I have waited a bit to see if there is an answer to this question.  In short, is this a problem with Premiere, the voice recorder (whether in Premiere or the Microsoft resident voice recorder), or the hardware?

Thanks again, everyone!

Carolyn

[Please do not post personal info, forum policy, Mod]

• 8. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available

Try going to the Sound settings in your Windows Control Panel. Go to the Recording tab, select your microphone and click the Properties button.

On the Microphone Properties panel, select the Levels tab and ensure that your levels set to maximum.

One thing that can also make your recording sound weak is that you may be recording only to the left channel. You'll know because, after you record your narration, the audio clip will show up on the timeline with a waveform only over the top half of the clip.

When this happens, go to your Audio Effects and drag the Fill Right with Left effect onto your clip so that your audio is spread over both channels.

• 9. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available
                        carolynd31325936 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Yes!! That worked. The narration is now at a good volume.

Thanks again for your help and support!

Hugs,

Carolyn

• 10. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available
                          carolynd31325936 Level 1

One last question.  I went to the link to mark the question "correct", but I cannot see anywhere to enter this information.  I want the people who helped me to get their points for helping me, so can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks!

Carolyn

46 Benlamond Ave.,

Toronto, ON,

M4E 1Y9

416-363-0065

www.CarolynDallmanDownes.com

• 11. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available

If you've gotten to this post via the Premiere Elements forum page, you should see a Correct Answer button under this post.

• 12. Re: Narration Issues - There are no audio hardware selections available
                              carolynd31325936 Level 1

Hi Steve,

There is a link below your post, instructing me to go to the site and click, "correct" below the answer. But there is nothing to click that I can see, either here, or on the discussion page.