23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 4:08 AM by Ashley7

12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.

Ashley7 Level 3

It takes me like 12 seconds to page up/down to next/previous frames in the Composition panel. This may be my older hardware that I'm in the process of upgrading but thought I'd check in here.

My project is fairly simple…

Layer 1: Footage with very minor roto brushing.

Layer 2: Footage with very minor clone-stamping.

Layer 3: Footage, nothing being done.

The area of the timeline within which I was paging up/down has no roto brushing taking place. I'm fairly sure the perf issue is caused by Layer 2. If I disable it (make it non-visible), things work fine, 1 to 2 seconds to page up/down. If I enable Layer 2 and start deleting its clone strokes from its Paint effect, page up/down starts to speed up.

I've already been told I need to update my hardware to speed up Premiere render times, so maybe my issue here is just the same… ~5 year old hardware w/2nd generation Intel processor, i7-2630QM, 6GB RAM, NVIDIA 540M 1GB, 1TB SSD. The SSD is not bad but I hear the other stuff is my main issue w/generally long render times... those long render times are not great, but at least I can work with Premiere generally... in this case, I've found AE totally unusable. Even rendering has totally tanked with AE frames in the way... without it takes a long but bearable time (considering my goals in a simple project), but this page up/down and AE rendering time is in a whole different league of "unbearable." LoL.

Despite my old hardware, are there any optimization here with cloning/strokes? I'm thinking I can clone with less strokes but not sure how many I can get it down to since some strokes use data from prior strokes.

My guess is this is older hw… I'm in the process of upgrading but it hasn't happened yet. Thanks.

• 1. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

first let's eliminate the option that maybe you are using the obsolete "Ray-traced" Render. if so - change it to "Classic 3D"

if you made any layer 3D you will find it here:

if you haven't, then go to composition settings -> advanced and there it is

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
            Ashley7 Level 3

I had "Classic 3D" selected, looks just like your screenshot. Any other thoughts? ... Does this sound like something you might expect with this particular hardware? Thanks for that info though, good to know... hadn't seen that Advanced settings before.

• 3. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.

please show the screenshots of your whole Ae interface. project panel with the master comp selected, timeline panel and full view of what is going in the composition and timeline as best as you can. let's try to isolate the problem. you say it's the clone so we will work with that - all other effects are off. show us the layers in that comp and what exactly are you doing over there: after you have selected all the layers type UU to show all the modified properties and press tilda key ~ to maximize it and show us that too.

a few questions:

1. what version of ae exactly?

2. we are talking about strictly the timeline and not rendering right? i.e Preview with pgup/pgdn or zero key?

3. are you opening your source files from an external drive?

4. what are the dimensions of your composition and footage. have you got more going on then clone and roto?

your hardware settings are between barely within the limits After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows . 4GB is the minimum and 8GB is recommended. your are expected to experience slower render and preview times, but 12 seconds a frame is not it.

• 4. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ashley7 wrote:

My project is fairly simple…

Layer 1: Footage with very minor roto brushing.

Layer 2: Footage with very minor clone-stamping.

Layer 3: Footage, nothing being done.

The area of the timeline within which I was paging up/down has no roto brushing taking place. I'm fairly sure the perf issue is caused by Layer 2. If I disable it (make it non-visible), things work fine, 1 to 2 seconds to page up/down. If I enable Layer 2 and start deleting its clone strokes from its Paint effect, page up/down starts to speed up.

What kind of footage? Where did you get the footage? What size is the composition? What is the frame rate? To me minor clone strapping is four or five strokes.

Try this. Select the clone stamp layer that is giving you problems. Press the U key twice to reveal the modified properties of the clone stamp and then take a screenshot. Use Print-screen then return to the forum and just paste the screenshot into the reply field of the forum. Give us any other details about your workflow below the screenshot.

That will give us something to go on. I can't make clone stamping slow down significantly.

• 5. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                  Ashley7 Level 3

Roei Tzoref wrote:

please show the screenshots of your whole Ae interface. project panel with the master comp selected, timeline panel and full view of what is going in the composition and timeline as best as you can. let's try to isolate the problem. you say it's the clone so we will work with that - all other effects are off. show us the layers in that comp and what exactly are you doing over there: after you have selected all the layers type UU to show all the modified properties and press tilda key ~ to maximize it and show us that too.

a few questions:

1. what version of ae exactly?

2. we are talking about strictly the timeline and not rendering right? i.e Preview with pgup/pgdn or zero key?

3. are you opening your source files from an external drive?

4. what are the dimensions of your composition and footage. have you got more going on then clone and roto?

your hardware settings are between barely within the limits After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows . 4GB is the minimum and 8GB is recommended. your are expected to experience slower render and preview times, but 12 seconds a frame is not it.

<<1. what version of ae exactly?>>

CC 2015.3 (About 13.8.1.38, 64% used of 6.0GB, 411 Plug-ins)

<<2. we are talking about strictly the timeline and not rendering right? i.e Preview with pgup/pgdn or zero key?>>

Yes, just while AE is running, and I page up and down. That's where I'm starting, however, my belief is this affects render time too... for the parts of the timeline with clone-stamping. I say this because I only have clone stamping for the first 1.6 seconds of about 3 minutes of footage, and yesterday I saw an attempt to render everything take forever for those first couple of seconds, but then went normal speed afterwards. Maybe that was unrelated. Anyway, my focus now is on page up/down frame fwd/bkwd.

<<3. are you opening your source files from an external drive?>>

No, using internal Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB.

<<4. what are the dimensions of your composition and footage. have you got more going on then clone and roto?>>

No, in fact, based on your query, I removed all clone stamping except the first few seconds and it exhibits the issue.

I had two areas of the timeline which had cloning. All strokes are under the same Paint effect, but I removed one set of strokes for one set of clone operations, and still saw the issue. And vice versa, removed the other set, and saw the issue... even worse there. Here are some general timings observed...

When in the timeline range for the first set of clone strokes:

When 17 strokes were part of the Paint effect: Page down (frame forward) took 11.0 seconds

When 16 strokes were part of the Paint effect: Page down (frame forward) took 6.5 seconds

When 15 strokes were part of the Paint effect: Page down (frame forward) took 4.5 seconds

When 14 strokes were part of the Paint effect: Page down (frame forward) took 3.0 seconds

When in the timeline range for the second set of clone strokes:

When 24 strokes were part of the Paint effect: Page down (frame forward) took 35.0 seconds

When 20 strokes were part of the Paint effect: Page down (frame forward) took 5.0 seconds

When 17 strokes were part of the Paint effect: Page down (frame forward) took 3.5 seconds

The following screenshots show the strokes for the first set of clone strokes...

Main screenshot:

After UU:

After UU and ~~:

Thanks for looking at these!

• 6. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                    Ashley7 Level 3

Rick Gerard wrote:

Try this. Select the clone stamp layer that is giving you problems. Press the U key twice to reveal the modified properties of the clone stamp and then take a screenshot. Use Print-screen then return to the forum and just paste the screenshot into the reply field of the forum. Give us any other details about your workflow below the screenshot.

That will give us something to go on. I can't make clone stamping slow down significantly.

Thanks Rick, see screenshots and other info in response to Roei above. Let me know if additional info would be helpful.

• 7. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                      Ashley7 Level 3

Okay, I have more information, I think good info... I am able to recreate a situation where 17+ clone-stamp operations causes a huge delay, and a situation where 17+ clone stamps do not cause that to happen.

The primary difference between the two is that, in the case where there's a huge delay in navigating frames, the Clone Source (source frame) is about 2 seconds (~50 frames) ahead in time of the footage being modified (being "stamped" with Clone Source data). When I make the Clone Source equal to or behind in time to the currently active frame, I do not see the same delay, works fine (i.e., like within 1 to 2 seconds as I'm guessing is my best with 5 year old hardware). You will notice in my prior screenshots that Clone Time is not the first frame... possibly not obvious, but it was ahead of the frame being stamped.

The general repro steps are as follows:

1. Create AE project with simple footage. In my case it is an .mxf DNxHD HQ created from Canon EOS ALL-I footage. It is 1920x1080 at 23.976 FPS.
                      2. Create one layer with footage. Although not required for repro, I set the time span for the layer to be something like 0 to 2 mins... my footage source is about 3 mins 15 seconds.
                      3. Go to the frame at 2 seconds. Activate Clone Stamp and use ALT-click to sample the Clone Source.
                      4. Go back to frame at 0:00 or 0:01 (i.e., either frame 0 or 1 or something earlier like that), and start stamping. For my repro, I did quick clicks to create about 17 stamps in the Paint effect. However, I notice the threshold for repro can vary, so I sometimes need to try step 5 and then repeat this step as needed. My first attempt, I added 30 stamps, and it completely brought AE to its knees. I had to delete stamp Paint strokes to about 15 in order to get an observable page up/down that would even complete.
                      5. Page up/down and on repro it will be slow, and it will increase is slowness as stamps are added, decrease as they are deleted.

I have noticed the above lead to repro only when I initially create the clone stamp Paint effect with footage early in time than the source frame for the clone. When I initially create the Paint effect with a frame ahead of the clone source, I do not see this issue. Very interestingly, if I do the latter, use a clone source behind the target stamp frame, but then adjust the layer so have the stamping affect frames behind the source frame, I do not see the huge delay (i.e., after expanding the layer's time range to include frames behind the initial clone stamp source frame, and then go to page up/down behind in time to that initial source frame, I do not see a huge delay, no repro so far in my min testing). So paging frames behind the clone source is not enough... it seems that the Paint effect must be initially created with a clone source ahead of the target frame... that's at least what I've observed in brief tests.

A final, what I think is unrelated, note... I'm able to repro crashes fairly consistently when AE gets tied up going forward/backward frames when the huge delay is active. For example, if I follow the repro steps above, and there's a huge delay, if I click certain things in the UI, I haven't yet been stopping to make note of what I click, though I remember one thing repeatedly caused it... I can focus on that aspect of this if need be. The point, though, is I can easily cause AE to crash when the huge delay is in effect. I've so far considered this a byproduct of the above page up/down perf issue... the assumption is that the above steps are surfacing some other race condition affecting resource access causing a crash, but that's simply an assumption on my part until looking deeper. For now I'm focusing on just understanding the delay, but I just wanted to add a note here that, surrounding the delays created with the above steps, it's easy to crash AE.

Any thoughts?

• 8. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.

I can't see anything that suggests it's a workflow problem but can't be sure. there are too many variables here to keep track, I can suggest you try to render a D.I and see if maybe with that footage your are o.k. (QT Animation, and if it's 10bit then Png Sequence). I don't know if the lack of RAM is the problem but it could be. the only way to find out is if you send us the project with a little footage. you can render Quicktime PNG to get lossless quality and very small file size. and of course see for yourself if the QT Png is going well. if not - then send us the project file with the QT Png if you can.

• 9. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                          Ashley7 Level 3

Okay, what is a "D.I."?  I gather you want me to try a clone stamp against a QT Animation and/or a png...or maybe those are the same thing. Sorry for naivete here. ...

• 10. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.

just to eliminate one other option - reset you preferences - Ctrl + Alt+ Shift + APP Launch and see again. maybe we will get lucky.

D.I - Digital Intermediate - just me trying to sound fancy - don't worry about it, it means lossless video file, so yes try to clone stamp against one of those and see. drag you footage into a composition icon and render it the re-import it and replace the mxf with it and see if there is a change in your playback (obviously make sure the footage kept it's quality and color accuracy too)

• 11. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                              Ashley7 Level 3

Resetting preferences did not help... but thanks for trying, it's good to know how to do that. So my source footage is already .mxf which I believe is DNxHD HQ.... isn't that DI? Perhaps not, so I'll try to read up some more and render to something per what you mention... I think you want me to take either my original ALL-I mov from the cam, or the .mxf I created from the ALL-I, and render it to some other truly lossless format (DI format?) so I need to figure out which format is best for me as a Windows user. Let me try something and see and I can tell you what I tried and you can tell me to do it differently if it's wrong. Thanks.

• 12. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.

render just the part that is problematic with the clone tool (the original mxf) to Qt Png and re-import it and see if its still so slow when cloning on it. If it is then just this comp save as a project and send the project file with that source footage

• 13. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                                  Ashley7 Level 3

I took my existing .mxf and used AME to render the first 30 seconds to a PNG sequence. Same slowness. You mentioned Qt Png,... I used the settings shown in the following screenshot...

I gathered some other data which may or may not be helpful... give me a couple of seconds to post it right now.

• 14. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                                    Ashley7 Level 3

I took an approach to analyze this from an operating system perspective to see what I could find out. I ran some system traces during a 15 second repro, meaning the trace captured activity while page down led to a frame advance taking about 15 seconds.

In examining the trace, most all of the time was spent in a single thread, apparently crunching... in short, it seemed heavily CPU-bound. Disk I/O, hard faults, and other trace info showed little time of the 15 seconds.

That was the info I was going to share... while drafting this post a thought came to me which led to what I think might be an acceptable workaround...

In considering all the info... that placing the Clone Source earlier on the time line than the target removes the issue (see earlier post on this), and that the issue itself led to heavy CPU-bound AfterFx activity, I decided to try the following... I created a new lower layer with the same footage as the clone/stamp layer, and I used that new lower layer as the Clone Source instead of sourcing from frames later in time on the same layer. The problem went away!

My guess is there may be some extra processing required to ensure a frame later in the timeline has been fully affected by past effects before it can be Source'ed. That's only a guess, but it might explain all the CPU-bound activity that arises from merely Clone Sourcing ahead rather than behind the frame on the same timeline. Maybe an updated CPU and/or GPU has features that allow that type of work to be optimized, or maybe my being below the recommended 8GB RAM, at only 6GB RAM, causes AfterFx to use different processing than what it uses on newer systems. Just guesses, but at least I have a workaround.

• 15. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.

In considering all the info... that placing the Clone Source earlier on the time line than the target removes the issue (see earlier post on this), and that the issue itself led to heavy CPU-bound AfterFx activity, I decided to try the following... I created a new lower layer with the same footage as the clone/stamp layer, and I used that new lower layer as the Clone Source instead of sourcing from frames later in time on the same layer. The problem went away!

so you say that getting a source form earlier is much heavier for you than taking it later in time? interesting.  I can tell you that I rarely ever use the clone tool and I found other workflows that work better for me. for example masking a layer myself and composite it manually. it all depends on what you want to achieve and only when I see what is the result that you are looking for, could I suggest a solution that is light on resources.

about this:

ook my existing .mxf and used AME to render the first 30 seconds to a PNG sequence. Same slowness.

you don't need AME for that. render straight from Ae and choose QT and in format options PNG. it will be faster than AME. PNG is slow to render but creates small sized lossless output which is good for sending via internet which was the purpose of my suggestion - so you could send it to me an I could check on my system if it's that slow.

Glad you found a workaround. probably a good idea to get a better workstation.

• 16. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                                        Ashley7 Level 3

Roei Tzoref wrote:

so you say that getting a source form earlier is much heavier for you than taking it later in time? interesting.

Sorry for my confusing post... I meant the issue was observed by cloning using a source later in time than the target frame in the same layer, and a day or so ago I observed that, when I cloned from a source earlier in the timeline than the target (all in same layer), the issue goes away. This meant cloning from a later frame to an earlier frame was surfacing the perf issue, while cloning from an earlier frame to a later frame did not exhibit the perf issue (once again, same layer).

My quick "clone from an earlier frame" test was experimental since it would not meet my needs given there are actually no good earlier frames... the only good frame for a source is later in the footage. That quickie test didn't look good... I just did a dummy quick clone to have strokes to see if page down worked quickly...  it did.

Basically my workaround still allows me to clone from a later frame in footage but I simply use a lower duplicate "clone source" layer. My only guess is this approach helps AE avoid some sort of CPU-bound checking or something which takes a long time for same layer cloning like that... at least w/my older hardware that's what appears to be happening. Obviously with newer hardware folks don't see this, I'm guessing the overhead is still there but the newer hw handles it better. Just a guess.

Next chance I get, I'll see if I can get a shareable repro project together... but since I have a workaround, and since (I hope) I'll have updated hardware soon, I'm hoping the issue can be safely shelved for now... after several days of hacking to find a workaround...   ....    I need to test more w/the workaround to ensure there's no weird snag I've not seen yet. I want to do more clone/stamping and roto brushing for the remaining 3 minutes of footage.

• 17. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                                          Ashley7 Level 3

Oh, and thanks tremendously for your input...just bouncing things off me like that helped me learn some new things if not be encouraged to pound away toward getting to the workaround. Thanks again.

• 18. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.

Sure. looks like you just had a serious crash course in the Clone tool! so something good came out of it

• 19. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                                              Ashley7 Level 3

Okay, so this is interesting... throwing brand new hardware at the original repro did not change things. On an MSI GT72S 6QD, i7-6820HK, 16GB RAM DDR4-2133, 970M (3GB GDDR), w/repro project on internal SSD, one part of the timeline takes 6 seconds to complete page down frame advance, while a part just after takes about 20 or more seconds to complete!

The clone/stamp layer contains a Paint effect with about 40 clone/stamp strokes, but about 17 are active for the earlier part of the timeline, while the remaining 23 clone/stamp strokes are active just after that first part (so a different number of strokes are processed depending on the point in the timeline one does page down, hence the difference seen here, 6 seconds vs 20+ seconds). Source footage is DNxHD mxf.

If interested, I can try to create an isolated example I can share out. If so, give me some time to do that, maybe by today or tomorrow.

I'm really surprised nobody else can repro this.

The basic setup is this: A layer with a Paint effect that has clone/stamp strokes, with a clone source which is a single frame ahead in time in the same layer, where that single frame clone source is locked to a single frame (click Lock Source Time before clone/stamping), and a stamp target earlier in the timeline on the same layer. Create at least 17 or more strokes. My strokes are small, not sure if that matters.

I have a workaround per the earlier posts above but thought I'd continue this forward since I figure others might be interested, and I'm curious now with this new hardware w/recent GPU.

• 20. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.

When you start time shifting a clone stamp it eats up resources pretty quickly. It doesn't matter how big the strokes are, it matters how many of them there are and how much the time shift is.

Sometimes, if the time shift is constant, it's easier to duplicate the layer you are time shifting and move it in the timeline, then use that layer as the source for the clone stamp and paint on transparent. That way you get away from AE saying to the pixel maker - Ok, I've got a source for some pixels and it's back 10 frames to look back and find the pixels and put them here - repeated and done in order for every stroke. If you use a time shifted layer for the source AE says to the pixel maker - grab those pixels from this source and put them here. It's a much more efficient way to work.

I don't have time to generate screenshots but the workflow would be like this.

1. Name the layer you want to use as the source for your clone stamp source
                                                2. Duplicate that layer and name it clone (Ctrl/Cmnd + d then enter to type in a new name)
                                                3. Open the clone layer and set up Paint to use the source layer as the source
                                                4. Make sure your source is aligned and the time lock is off
                                                5. Turn off visibility for the source layer to make sure you are working on the right layer
                                                6. Time shift the source layer as many frames as you need by dragging the layer in the timeline
                                                7. Start applying the clone tool as needed

You should have faster results with this technique. You can even time shift an entire set of clone stamps by simply moving the source layer around. 

• 21. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                                                  Ashley7 Level 3

Rick Gerard wrote:

... I don't have time to generate screenshots but the workflow would be like this. ...

Thanks so much for your input. Isn't that the same workaround discussed the other day (see earlier post)? This thread is a little large with many details so you might have missed it, here's the gist...

Ashley7 wrote:

... In considering all the info...  I decided to try the following... I created a new lower layer with the same footage as the clone/stamp layer, and I used that new lower layer as the Clone Source instead of sourcing from frames later in time on the same layer. The problem went away! ...

I found no need to avoid the time shift.

Rick Gerard wrote:

When you start time shifting a clone stamp it eats up resources pretty quickly. It doesn't matter how big the strokes are, it matters how many of them there are and how much the time shift is. ...

That's not what I'm seeing... this perf hit seems to have nothing to do with operating system or hardware resource issues, and instead appears to be purely algorithmic, perhaps caused by an algorithmic generalization which includes logic my simple case doesn't require but is nevertheless affected by. To be clear, this is not a criticism as sometimes such generalizations are just a part of software business... however user reports/feedback can sometimes help developers may see opportunities for good refinements... I'm sensing this may be a good thing to report.

To explain further... Here's the data observed so far...

• The problem occurs when Clone/Stamping on a single layer, with the clone source ahead in time, to a stamp target frame behind the clone source in time.
                                                  • The problem goes away when Clone/Stamping in the opposite direction, from a source behind in time to a target ahead in time, all on the same layer (same as prior bullet but reversed).
                                                  • The problem goes away when I employ the separate clone source layer workaround. (Avoiding time shift is unnecessary.)
                                                  • The problem occurs with new/recent hardware/GPU. I've seen no change with the new hardware... during a repro on the new hardware, there is little disk activity, tons of RAM available, and overall CPU utilization is no more than 20%.
                                                  • he brunt of all the CPU-bound activity during repro, which is relatively negligible, generally hits only one logical processor so the work being done for the particular paint effect in this case doesn't seem to be handled in parallel, at least not in any major way. As with my earlier comment, not all things deserve nuanced parallelizing, or often such cannot be a known requirement until hitting certain cases, so this is not a criticism on my part, just a guess based on observation.

The following screenshots show system diagnostic info from a repro which took about 15 seconds to complete a page down frame advance. The first screenshot shows most all work being done in a single AfterFx thread for most all of the 15 seconds. Note, disk I/O times during this repro were nil, and there was RAM available, etc. (Note, this was taken on my older system.)

WPA-AfterFx-TopThreads.JPG

The following shows the breakdown of thread ID #13296 (the top thread from above). Again most all the samples were within AfterFx. I did not see any operating system waits or whatnot, though my search wasn't exhaustive.

WPA-AfterFx-TopThread-ModuleBreakDown-PDLL-Solid2.JPG

During the above repro, as with all repros, Disk I/O times were effectively nil, and overall CPU utilization was also relatively nil (20% overall is nothing really).

• 22. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.

File a bug report with your findings.

• 23. Re: 12 second render time in AE Composition panel for each frame.
                                                      Ashley7 Level 3

Rick Gerard wrote:

File a bug report with your findings.

Okay, thanks... submitted a report. Thanks as well for taking the time to review and offer input.

While creating the repro steps for the submitted report, I concretely see it's easy to create a repro by checking Lock Source Time before selecting the Clone Source, and then clicking like 17 or more times in the same area... creating 17 or more small overlapping target strokes. At that point page down frame advancement slows down. I realize avoiding overlapping strokes in that way might be advisable if possible but the original issue arose from trying to remove something where it was reasonable to have some overlap.

Anyway, thanks again.