9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2016 11:30 AM by MW Design

If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.

redbourn Level 1

I am about 3 months away from finishing a cookbook.

Thought I would be finished a long time ago but the photos proved to be a long learning curve.

Right now my recipes are in txt format and I just started formatting them in Word 2010.

Created tables for things that need to line up and then started on choosing fonts.

Bottom line?

What do I need to give a pro?

Apart from money ;-)

It's a payment and not a gif.

Folders with a recipe in txt format with a a photo or two.

An approximate Word attempt with a photo or two?

Well you get my drift.

I don't want to spend weeks formatting Word if a pro is going to do it easily in InDesign.

Thanks,

Michael

• 1. Re: If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Talk to whomever it is that you’re going to hire and ask them what they want/need to do the job.

• 2. Re: If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.
            BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

And, I wouldn't waste the time formatting in Word if you are going to hand the job off to a designer. Spend the time refining the text and the images so that all they need to do is place them on the pages and format them. Unless you have your heart set on a specific font, they will be able to help you narrow down the field to get the look you are after.

• 3. Re: If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

BarbBinder wrote:

And, I wouldn't waste the time formatting in Word if you are going to hand the job off to a designer.

Well, it depends on what you mean by formatting. Selecting particular fonts and text sizes may not be helpful, but assigning a unique paragraph style to each type of paragraph (page titles, recipe names, ingredients lists, directions...) and bold, italic, and bold italic character styles for any isolated text that needs them within a larger paragraph could save a lot of time (and money) when the project moves to the layout.

• 4. Re: If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.
                redbourn Level 1

Thanks.

But to do what you suggest would mean setting up default tables and styles in Word

Which is exactly what I want to avoid because a pro will be likely to suggest better things.

An example of one of my txt. files. Still has to be proof read.

Dijon Style Skinless Chicken Breasts

The making of moutarde de Dijon, the most popular French type, can be traced to 14th century Dijon. Dijon may be the epicenter of fine French mustards, but the ancient Romans, Greeks, Indians and Chinese enjoyed mustard long before it reached France. A Dijon manufacturer called Naigeon fixed the recipe for 'strong' or 'white' mustard, the production of which was synchronized with the wine harvest, because the black and grown seeds were mixed with unripe grapes.

Prep  time           5 min

Cook  time 1hr:10 min

Total time 1hr:20 minutes

Serves 4

4 skinless, boneless whole chicken breasts, about 1 1/2 lbs, 700g

2 small leeks, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced - about 1/2 cup

1 small onion, finely chopped - about 1/2 cup

2 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock

1 cup dry white wine or substitute on page xxx

1/2 cup Dijon mustard

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary, or two tsp of dry

1 tbsp unsalted butter

Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Fresh parsely, thyme or oregano leaves for garnish or a sprinkling of dry

Olive oil

Lightly season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.

Fry over med-high heat in a heavy bottomed pot that has a lid, until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes

Transfer them to a plate and set aside.

Reduce heat to medium and put leeks and onion in same pot adding more oil if necessary.

Fry until tender, about 8 minutes, then add garlic and sauté until tender and fragrant, about 2 minutes more.

Stir in broth, wine, Dijon mustard, and minced thyme and bring to a simmer.

Return chicken to pot, and cover and simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with aluminum foil.

Bring liquid in pot to a simmer and cook until sauce is thickened and glossy, about 15 minutes.

Whisk in butter and season with salt and pepper.

Move chicken to serving plates, spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with thyme or oregano leaves.

* Remove and store the chicken tenders. Great for tacos and tortillas etc.

Michael

• 5. Re: If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.
                  redbourn Level 1

That's what I was hoping to hear!

Michael

• 6. Re: If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.
                    MW Design Level 4

Cart before the horse...Follow Bob's advice. Sometimes (most of the time, actually) helping the person doing the layout isn't really helping. If the person doing the layout does desire certain formatting such as that described by Peter, then follow Peter's advice explicitly--make styles in Word, possibly including character styles (like for font changes within a paragraph), and apply them faithfully.

I've done two cookbooks over the last couple years, though I've done them in QXP instead. However, from the layout person's perspective, much of the formatting can be slightly to near fully automated no matter the layout application being used. Do note that this does not necessarily mean less expensive!

So I pulled a few recipes from some blogs (I generally do not display paid-for-work). But I organized as per the last simple cookbook I did. The text was plain text.

capture-000107.png

And the formatted results:

capture-000108.png

Applying the automation behind the above took less than a minute to "pre-format" the 300+ pages and provided 85% or so of the formatting to the book. The pictures were added afterwards, simply because they were still being shot and edited by the photographer.

The person for whom I did the real book supplied a CSV file for the text (i.e., there was a database for the recipes) and I could have just as easily pulled in the images during the merging.

Mike

• 7. Re: If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

SOMEBODY has to assign styles. That can be you (and you don't need to format the text to assign a style to it, just create a style name and assign it -- it can be redefined in InDesign), or you can pay someone else to go through the book and do it for you.

• 8. Re: If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.
                        BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Speaking only for myself...if I were doing the InDesign layout and if my author didn't know exactly how to assign the styles I needed in advance, I'd rather do it myself.

• 9. Re: If I intend to pay and expert do I need to choose fonts.
                          MW Design Level 4

I agree, Barb.

The last time I worked with a small author to preformat--or simply assign styles--it took too much time in education for there to be a usable document at the end of the process. This just simply chewed up some of my time and I didn't feel it was all billable time. This is different than when I have worked with larger corporations or publishers--they don't fully expect something for nothing (thought they try like heck sometimes...). New independent authors sometimes have a different sense of value than those who have paid for layout in the past.