6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 9:07 AM by OriPux

Image looking different in Library and Develop

OriPux Level 1

Hi,

My problem is that my RAW edit looks slightly different in Library and Develop. Here is an example (screenshots):

Library.pngDevelop.png

As you can see, the color in the sky is different and the stars are more visible in the Develop module. What is more, when I export the photo as a JPEG, I want LR to export it as it looks in the Develop module, and it exports just as it looks in the Library module.

It's very frustrating and I hope anyone can help!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Image looking different in Library and Develop
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This probably should have been posted in the Lightroom forum, but I think I can explain what you’re seeing:  the Develop module, in Fit zoom mode, doesn’t show Detail settings very well, and in your case you are seeing overly sharp stars which aren’t really that sharp.

When working with or otherwise judging Detail settings you should be zoomed to 1:1/100% or more.   If you compare Library and Develop at 100% zoom do you see much difference?

What’s happening is that Develop is using a fast-but-inaccurate resampling algorithm when resizing down to the screen size in Fit or Fill views because every time you adjust something it has to redo all the calculations.  If it took a second to form the image it would be difficult to making adjustments due to the lag so Develop takes some short cuts to give you the image quickly.

• 2. Re: Image looking different in Library and Develop
            OriPux Level 1

First of all, thanks!

Sorry about not posting it in the Lightroom forum, I'm new around here.

I have read about the 1:1 thing before and I noticed that if fully zoomed (1:1), the image doesn't change at all.

I understand what LR does and why but isn't there a way to see exactly what you are editing? Otherwise, it can be very confusing, and I suppose there isn't.

But thank you for responding so fast!

• 3. Re: Image looking different in Library and Develop
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The oversharpening effect is more pronounced when there is micro-texture in the image.  In your case I imagine this is high-ISO and/or long-exposure noise since it is a night-time shot.

• 4. Re: Image looking different in Library and Develop
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
                I understand what LR does and why but isn't there a way to see exactly what you are editing? Otherwise, it can be very confusing, and I suppose there isn't.

To see exactly what you are doing, you must work at 1:1.

ssprengel has explained why Develop and Library look different in Fit view, and there will be differences in other programs as well. So application and evaluation of sharpening and noise reduction has to be done at 1:1, where one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel.

Personally, I ignore any apparent lack of sharpness in Fit view once I have established that the image is sharp at 1:1.

• 5. Re: Image looking different in Library and Develop
                  OriPux Level 1

I understand, thanks! From now on I will do the sharpening and noise reduction at 1:1.

• 6. Re: Image looking different in Library and Develop
                    OriPux Level 1

I understand and I will take your advice, thanks! From now on I will do the sharpening and noise reduction at 1:1.