8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 12:59 AM by xenatorres

Glitching frames when exporting

xenatorres Level 1

I am on CS4, PC (Vista).

I have a set of credits I am trying to export. The credits have a bunch of animations and video clips. One actor's clip, regardless of what clip I used (as I immediately tried using a different clip), glitches every time I export. It skips ahead a frame, skips back, plays, then skips a frame forward, then back, etc.

I have the RAM set to 4. I have tried exporting with the Multiprocessing unchecked, and checked (set to the "longer RAM preview").

I have tried exporting just the one actor's credit, and with one other actor's credit (which is now also glitching on export).

There is no glitch when I scrub through the footage - only when I export.

I am exporting as an MOV. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, my After Effect files are no longer visible in Premiere, so I can't import the After Effects file, so I have to export it first. I have not tried exporting as a different format - I guess I could try that, but I prefer MOV, otherwise I'll just have to convert it, thus adding to the entire process.

Any other ideas on what I might try? It's driving me nuts after spending so long making these fun credits.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Glitching frames when exporting
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you much without knowing anything about exact render settings or what source materials are used. This simply sounds like CoDec errors or some incompatible render setting that messes up temporal consistency.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Glitching frames when exporting
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the footage of the actors you are using is compressed with MP4, H.264, or any of that sort of flavor, you will need to transcode it into a proper production codec. After Effects CS4 had some issues with codecs that used interframe compression.

• 3. Re: Glitching frames when exporting
              xenatorres Level 1

Sorry, good points.

The original files are MTS files. They are straight off my Sony camera. All the video files are exactly the same, so I can't imagine this is the problem when the other videos exported fine.

I am exporting as MOV quicktime - default settings.

The finished 2 min file is just over 2GB.

• 4. Re: Glitching frames when exporting
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I agree with Szalam -- you need to transcode those mts files before you use them in AE CS4.  It's an older piece of software, and it doesn't know about newer kinds of video compression. 

Things will immediately get better.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Glitching frames when exporting
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

xenatorres wrote:

Sorry, good points.

The original files are MTS files. They are straight off my Sony camera. All the video files are exactly the same, so I can't imagine this is the problem when the other videos exported fine.

I am exporting as MOV quicktime - default settings.

The finished 2 min file is just over 2GB.

You were lucky with the other ones? All I know is that, when I worked with CS4, I found everything went much faster when I used a production codec instead of the camera's compressed MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 files. (Seriously, AE CS4 works much faster with a production codec.)

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Glitching frames when exporting
                    xenatorres Level 1

Sorry, I don't know what you mean about production codec. The MTS files work just fine in Premiere, and I've never used them in AE before, so I've never done anything to them before, so I need a bit more info. Do you just mean convert them into a file type other than MTS/MPEG?

Thanks everyone.

• 7. Re: Glitching frames when exporting
                      Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Production codec - Qt Animation/Png/Jpeg2000. you select your file and drag it into a new composition and render it using these codec. you can do this in premiere too of course.

Do you just mean convert them into a file type other than MTS/MPEG?

Yes

• 8. Re: Glitching frames when exporting
                        xenatorres Level 1

Sorry to be so late marking this, but I didn't have a chance to get back to editing until now. I changed the MTS files to MOV and had no further issues. Thanks all!