12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 5:49 AM by simonn39864344

Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD

simonn39864344

Hi, I'm using Premier Elements 13 on Windows10.

My current project I'm getting a lot of Highlight flickering on the resulting Burnt DVD, there is even a guy with a stripy tie in the film which flickers.

I'm using x2 cameras for footage, a Canon Legria at 24FPS (MP4) and a Canon DSLR 70D  25FPS (MOV File).

I Have tried selecting each clip and using Field Options, Flicker removal and Reverse Field Dominance but it make little difference. The project is rendered.

My General project settings are set to HD 1080i, 29.97 FPS, 1920x1080 and display format of 30FPS. I'm burning a good quality DVD using AVCHD Pal Dolby, please can anyone advise?

Regards Simon.

• 1. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you judging your video by what you see on your computer or what you see on your TV?

What you see on your computer can be affected by a number of issues, including the media player you're using to view it. Particularly if your AVCHD file is interlaced, patterns like striped ties, shirts and mini blinds can shimmer on your computer. In fact there's a word for it -- the moire pattern -- and it's the reason why you'll still rarely see someone appearing on a talk show wearing a striped shirt.

Also, can you post a screen capture of a shimmering shot so we can see it on this forum?

• 2. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have two different framerates in a non matching project.

I which country do you live?

The 24 and 25 fps are they interlaced or progressive?

If you want a good disk make a Bluray disk and forget all about avchd disk. (i dont understand why Elements still offers that option)

• 3. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD
              simonn39864344 Level 1

I'm using premier elements 13, the flickering on all the highlights isn't noticeable until you burn the DVD and play it on the TV. When you do so you get a strobing effect on the screen on the TV.

When I burn the DVD from Elements 13 there are x3 options, DVD/Blue-Ray and AVCHD, I pick the last one because its the only way I seem to get a really high quality disk. I'm in the UK. I have no idea what interlaced or progressive is?

• 4. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD

DVDs are standard resolution and interlaced, so you bet they're going to show a moire effect when someone has a striped shirt!

Interlacing is the traditional way television produced video frames. Using interlacing, television produced half a frame of video 60 times a second. Each half frame showed every other line of video data -- approximately 250 lines of pixels. One half frame drew the 250 lines of video on the screen, the next half frame drew the other 250 lines in between the first half frame. And that's how traditional television produced 500 lines of pixels 30 times every second. (I'm rounding off the numbers to keep it simple. I'm also using NTSC numbers, but the principle is the same with PAL TV.) That's why, if you wave wave your hand back and forth in front of an pre-HD TV you'll see a sort of strobing effect. (It's also why stripes and mini blinds look so weird.)

Computer screens are much faster and they produced a complete video frame in a single pass, 30 times per second. This is called progressive scan. Many newer HDTVs use progressive scan, which is why they are called 1080p TVs. 1080 lines of video pixels, progressive scan. They produce a much sharper, cleaner picture and usually don't have issues with fine lines and details.

However, many disc formats, including DVDs and even BluRays and AVCHD videos produced by many programs, still use interlaced frames. And so, even though your TV is blending and upscaling your DVD video to 1080p, your AVCHD/DVD disc may still be sending it interlaced frames, so you can still get moire patterns when your DVD is showing fine stripes.

That's the simplest explanation. There are any number of web sites that can explain it in greater detail.

• 5. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD

BTW, I just checked and it appears that the AVCHD disc and BluRay disc videos produced by Premiere Elements use interlaced frames.

• 6. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD

And Elements dvd produces interlaced lower field (even worse).

• 7. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD

As you live in the UK you should have picked a PAL project setting with 25 fps (preferable interlaced)

Might want to read on interlaced vs progressive as it is important when making disks.

Also read the manual of the camera you used to make the footage.

As of now you made a 24 fps (American) and 25 (European) fps footage in a NTSC project into 29.97 which is an American format.

Might explain the shimmering.

You should set both camera's to 25 fps. Try to avoid 24 fps. Its a pain to use in PAL setting.

• 8. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD
                        simonn39864344 Level 1

Thanks I did pick PAL to produce a DVD and thanks for the explanation, but how can I overcome the flickering?

Do you think its the settings I have wrong?

What should I do to produce a good quality DVD please using Elements 13 and my existing footage??

• 9. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD

All the settings are a mess. Cannot describe it any better.

Do a test project with the correct settings with the 'problem' footage.

• 10. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD
                            simonn39864344 Level 1

Thanks for your time Ann, but that's of no help to me.

• 11. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD

You cannot solve the issue in the present setting.

• 12. Re: Highlight Flickering on AVCHD DVD
                                simonn39864344 Level 1

Appreciate your efforts Ann Thank you.

Problem solved. I was using Premiere Elements 13, I upgraded to Premiere Elements 14, the benefit of doing so was that you get on line chat support. The Adobe professional was fantastic, there was nothing wrong with my settings the software does it automatically.

All I need to do was burn a DVD and not a AVCHD, flickering disappeared I also selected Resolution of SD576 and a frame rate of 25 when burning on PE14.