5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 7:44 AM by Dave LaRonde

Camtasia to After Effects Workflow

troyw98734052

Hey everybody.

I apologize if this has already been talked about but I couldn't really find anything when I searched for it.

Recently, I had someone ask if I could do some motion graphics and other effects with footage she recorded and cut down in Camtasia. Having never had experience with Camtasia, I didn't want to give a definite answer before researching the difficulties we might face. Some forums have briefly discussed this with one being from 2008. I know things have come a long way in the past eight years so I thought I'd see what people say now.

Has anyone worked with Camtasia footage in After Effects and, if so, should I recommend anything to her about the way she's exporting from Camtasia to make it better for me in After Effects?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Camtasia to After Effects Workflow
          Mohammad.Harb MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Camtasia record video Footage that can be saved almost to many file formats ( Mp4, Mov , ... )

which can be imported into after effects as a video Footage.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Camtasia to After Effects Workflow
            troyw98734052 Level 1

Thanks for a timely response. I expected as much with the knowledge I have of other editing software such as Premiere and Avid. I didn't know if I needed to be concerned with Camtasia throwing in some weird codec that would confuse After Effects. The lady I've been dealing with knows enough of Camtasia to edit her video but doesn't have any idea about exporting in different formats. Anytime I've starting asking exporting questions and technical questions, she seems confused. Unfortunately, she's in another state so I can't just sit down with her. I thought these forums could be useful.

Thanks again for your insight. It's greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Camtasia to After Effects Workflow
              Mohammad.Harb MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I would recommend you to download a trial version of camtasia so you can get familiar with the application, its not hard to get the basic of the application .. get the trial .. Download it, now  it will be easier for your to give on-screen instruction for your client.

• 4. Re: Camtasia to After Effects Workflow
                Fishbottle

The easiest way I know of to get Camtasia footage into After Effects (or any other NLE) is to right-click on the .trec video file in your Camtasia project and choose 'extract recording contents' This will extract the avi contained in the trec file. No rendering required. (You won't get the mouse cursor though. For that you have to render out from Camtasia)

• 5. Re: Camtasia to After Effects Workflow
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

troyw98734052  wrote

I didn't know if I needed to be concerned with Camtasia throwing in some weird codec that would confuse After Effects.

You can always eliminate that possibility.  Transcode the footage to a good intermediate codec, and you should be good to go.