2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 5:07 AM by dpattinson

How to best manage two sets of original files in Lightroom?

dpattinson

All,

I'm currently using Lightroom CC to manage my archive of original images. As I split my time between Australia and Europe - and the archive is multiple terabytes (~8Tb) in size - I keep a copy of the archive on disk in both locations, and synchronise them from a pair of 4Tb portable drives that I carry with me when I travel. The two 4Tb drives allow me to keep a backup of what I've been shooting, and when I get to my home locations, I use rsync to replicate the files onto the local large drives. This results in two drives with identical folder structures and files (if all goes well), giving me an offsite backup as well as local file access.

My problem is that with the current setup of Lightroom, I have to choose one of those 'local' drives as the source of my original images. When I'm in the 'other' location, of course Lightroom doesn't find the files. It seems I either need to remap all of those files in the catalog to the 'other' drive (which takes a very long time) each time I travel, or maintain two catalogs (which means duplicating my edits as far as I can tell).

So...

Is there any way I can fool Lightroom into thinking that the two 'local' drives are the same drive so that the catalog will pick up my files automatically? The folder structure is identical in each, (the only differences would be any copies edited externally and stored in the original folder - which I can deal with using rsync).

Or..

Is there any hope that Lightroom will support multiple locations for original files within the one catalog? The files are identical, and Lightroom already recognises files modified by other apps - so I can't see any technical reason why this wouldn't be possible.

Or..

Is there any way to maintain two catalogues, but keep my edits synchronised across both?

Or..

Any other suggestions - have I totally missed something?

Thanks, David.

• 1. Re: How to best manage two sets of original files in Lightroom?
          dj_paige Level 9

So...

Is there any way I can fool Lightroom into thinking that the two 'local' drives are the same drive so that the catalog will pick up my files automatically? The folder structure is identical in each, (the only differences would be any copies edited externally and stored in the original folder - which I can deal with using rsync).

If the drives in both locations have the exact same names (MAC) or the same drive letter (Windows), then Lightroom will recognize them as soon as you open the program, and you won't have any need to re-connect the photos inside of LR. (By the way, this isn't something you do to "fool" Lightroom, it is a designed feature)

Or..

Is there any way to maintain two catalogues, but keep my edits synchronised across both?

I would abandon the idea of two catalogs that should somehow synchronized to be identical. This is not a feature of Lightroom.

Or..

Any other suggestions - have I totally missed something?

When I'm in the 'other' location, of course Lightroom doesn't find the files. It seems I either need to remap all of those files in the catalog to the 'other' drive (which takes a very long time)

Do you mean after it takes a very long time after you re-map the files (which obviously should take some time for the computer), or do you mean that the task of you (the human user of Lightroom) doing the re-map takes a very long time? This shouldn't take a human user more than 15 seconds to re-connect everything if the drives are identical as you claim.

• 2. Re: How to best manage two sets of original files in Lightroom?
            dpattinson Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds like renaming the drive is the best approach, I wasn't sure if drive name was the only thing Lightroom used to identify a device. I'll test that out and see how it goes

Given that I do my synchronization using a third drive - I shouldn't ever have to worry about attempting to mount the identically named drives at the same time.

That should also allow me to notice up any files that may have been missed in synchronization, which is not so easy with my current process.

I meant the time it takes the computer to remap 8Tb is not insignificant. The last time I tried it, I recall it failed at some point - so I haven't tried since.

Regards, David.