37 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 9:18 AM by Roei Tzoref

loopOut

ianben Level 1

I'm really sorry to raise this issue again but the loopOut expression is defeating me!

I can get it to work fine in the After Effects window but when I render it to a movie format it plays through to the last frame and stops - no looping!

To try and get this sorted I reduced the problem to moving a layer solid across the stage and loop back to the beginning and play again. Timeline is 8s.

I have tried setting a keyframe up at 0, another at just over 7 (far side of stage) and another at 8 (position as per the first keyframe).

So why doesn't this loopOut("cycle") work when rendered?

ian

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 18.19.00.png

• 1. Re: loopOut
          Mohammad.Harb MVP & Adobe Community Professional

you need to Check loop on  in your Player

• 2. Re: loopOut
            Mohammad.Harb MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            but when I render it to a movie format it plays through to the last frame and stops - no looping!

in QuickTime :

Loop.png

• 3. Re: loopOut
              ianben Level 1

Thanks Mohammad, when I eventually use this for real I want the animation to automatically loop without the viewer having to manually adjust the player.

Ian

• 4. Re: loopOut
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

if you want movie to play in a loop you don't need an expression. as Mohammad suggested, this should be set in your streaming software.

• 5. Re: loopOut
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I want the animation to automatically loop without the viewer having to manually adjust the player.

That's impossible. Any playback is dependent on actual player settings and those are beyond the visdeo stream. This is handled via the player embed code and even then the user can override it at any time. You want the impossible.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: loopOut
                    ianben Level 1

Thank you, I haven't made myself clear. What I ultimately want is for one element in a movie to repeat an animation whilst other elements do different things, so:

A radar beam is projected across an area and loops to repeat the action

Meanwhile other details of the action appear and disappear on the stage

Ultimate length of the complete animation will be 60 seconds.

Sorry for any confusion.

Ian

• 7. Re: loopOut

Ok so is this 60 animation of different looping elements supposed to also loop? i.e the start and end are supposed to the same minus one frame at the beginning? or are you having problems in making a single element loop?

• 8. Re: loopOut
                        Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As far as AE is concerned, simply create all elements as separate pre-comps, use the pre-comps in the main comp and enable time-remapping on them. This can then easily be keyframed to loop while otehr stuff like moving items around or fading them in remains intact.

Mylenium

• 9. Re: loopOut
                          ianben Level 1

Just the one element is supposed to loop whilst the rest do their thing.

Ian

• 10. Re: loopOut
                            ianben Level 1

I've not tried pre-comps before so will give that a go, I suppose they act like animated symbols as in other timeline software progs?

Ian

• 11. Re: loopOut

I am not sure why M suggested pre-comps. try this for your test and see if you get this right:

Looping One Element:

1. set a position keyframe for your solid at the first frame of your layer, and place it to the left of your composition

2. advance 10 frames and set a keyframe for position, this time the layer is to the right of your composition

3. set the expression loopOut()

4. see the magic happen

BTW if you want the layer to go back to the first keyframe after it goes to the second keyframe you can use the "pingpong" string: loopOut("pingpong") - this way you can make only 2 keyframes the your layer will go back and forth instead of just one direction over and over.

• 12. Re: loopOut
                                ianben Level 1

Thanks Roei, I got that far originally and it works fine in the After Effects application but when it is rendered it plays just the once. I want it to keep playing throughout the animation without the user having to set "loop" on their player.

• 13. Re: loopOut

I am confused haven't we been over this? if you want to loop your animation in a player YOU HAVE TO SET THESE SETTINGS IN THE PLAYER. all common players have a loop option. do you understand now? think about it this way - after effects Preview is really a...Player! that is set to loop by default, look here:

if you set it to not loop, it will not loop.

if you want, maybe this is an option for you (you should carefully see if it is) , you can create an Animated GIF and set it to loop forever so when the user loads you GIF in his browser, it will loop forever. you do have a limitation of colors (256) and duration (if it's above a few seconds, it will be a large file size that will take time to load and nobody want's that)

that's all the options you have in my opinion. please write that you understand now so we can get back to work, we are very busy people here

hallelujah (1).gif

• 14. Re: loopOut
                                    ianben Level 1

Roei, I understand your frustration and apologise if I am still not making myself clear. The finished animation will have one looping animation throughout the 60s the other elements will play through once (I don't want the whole movie to loop just that one element.

Ian

[personal information removed by moderator]

• 15. Re: loopOut

O.K back to this eventually we will figure this out! so let's phrase you problem more accurately:

when you preview your animation in after effects - the element is looping as expected, but after you export your file - the element is not looping? is that what we are dealing with here? if this is the case please specify exactly you export process because as it seems - your current project is not the one you are watching eventually. and if you want to speed things up - upload your project, and upload your video file too.

• 16. Re: loopOut
                                        ianben Level 1

Correct. I have exported to the Render Queue and to Adobe Media Convertor but still the same result

• 17. Re: loopOut

I think I got it! let me ask you this - are you duplicating your AME Queue instead of sending it again from AE?

• 18. Re: loopOut
                                            ianben Level 1

I delete everything in the Render Queue, start a new project and export a fresh comp.

Ian

[Personal information removed by moderator]

• 19. Re: loopOut

try this:

1.preview your animation in Ae - see that all works as expected

2.select your composition in the project window and add it to AME in the following manner:

a. if you are using 13.8.1 - choose Add to AME Queue located in your render queue to the right

b. if you are using prior version - select composition->Add to AME Queue

in both of these case you will be refereed to AME. now, manually scrub the CTI in AME and see if your element is moving as expected. if it is, you can safely encode your file.

if you are still not seeing what you see in your preview -> try deleting your cache (edit->purge->all) and try the same process all over again (DON'T duplicate AME queue items)

if you are still not seeing what you see in your preview -> please upload your project file if you can.

• 20. Re: loopOut
                                                ianben Level 1

OK, will do. I have deleted all old cache and project files

Ian

---

• 21. Re: loopOut

We are on the edge of our seats here as the mystery unfolds! project files is not related. this is a problem between your current project file and AME.  my guess is that this is a problem with your workflow and that somehow you have managed to render a previous version of the project (where the loop is not happening). so you are watching a current version in your Ae Preview and everything works as expected, but rendering another version where it's not. but I will wait with my accusations for now.

• 22. Re: loopOut
                                                    ianben Level 1

Your patience is most appreciated - It is in the render queue now!

Ian

• 23. Re: loopOut
                                                      ianben Level 1

Well it looped twice so progress has been made!

File attached

Ian

---

• 24. Re: loopOut

Ok so this is what happened in my opinion: you sent your composition to AME, but after that, you made a few changes in Ae - and only then you encoded your composition in AME. and when things did not work - you duplicated your AME Queue and tried again and again with the same results - is that correct?

• 25. Re: loopOut
                                                          ianben Level 1

That was the case until I deleted everything and started again - fresh project, fresh AME queue.

Ian

---

• 26. Re: loopOut

and after it is fresh project and fresh AME - it works?

• 27. Re: loopOut
                                                              ianben Level 1

It looped twice and then stopped.

Ian

• 28. Re: loopOut
                                                                ianben Level 1

Did you get the AE file?

• 29. Re: loopOut

no. there is not link. send it again in some other way

• 31. Re: loopOut

here is a screen recording of me encoding your file. what is the problem?

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B5wyUt17-tu2NE5adXRSNXpjUVU

• 32. Re: loopOut
                                                                      ianben Level 1

Am I worrying unnecessarily then as mine does that and stops just as yours does, I thought it was supposed to loop indefinitely?

• 33. Re: loopOut

your element will loop with respect to the duration of the layer. it has to complete a cycle. if it can't complete a full cycle it will "stop" or should we say be "cut" and the end of the duration. if you want for your element to loop to a specific duration, you will have to do the math and calculate your duration to the keyframes or do this manually (without an expression) or find an expression the sets the movement itself according to the duration.

• 34. Re: loopOut
                                                                          ianben Level 1

Finally I think I have it and you Roei are a star! I can only apologise for my dimness on this matter and thank you for devoting so much time to it.

have a plate of cream buns!348s.jpg

• 35. Re: loopOut

Thanks! guess Hanukkah is coming early this year! you're welcome. I wanted to see for myself how deep the rabbit hole was.

• 36. Re: loopOut
                                                                              ianben Level 1

pretty deep I'm afraid. Hope your day goes well from now on. By the way I heard the cheer when you announced "he's got it"!!

• 37. Re: loopOut

it was more of a sigh really. you could have had a cheer 4 hours ago