9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 8:19 PM by ssprengel

Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr

SRoyC

Hello friends

I have been using Lr CC 2015 for last few weeks and I am suddenly having problems of editing NEF files in my Ps CS6. Lr is giving me an prompt that Camara Raw 9.6 is required and there are three options to choose from. If I choose open with Lr, then the files is duly opened in Ps CS6 but with additional problems which are adding troubles to my workflow. If the option stated above is chosen, then a PSD file is automatically created which is added to the Catalog/collection automatically- this I do not want. As I am completing my edits in Ps CS6 and saving the file as JPEG, this new JPEG file is NOT getting included in the collection as a part of the stack automatically- which has been a part of my default workflow since Lr started "stacking" feature. Actually, even few weeks back there was no problem in opening the NEF files in CS6 and after editing, those were getting added to me collection automatically as a part of the stack with the original RAW file.

I do not want the PSD files but I want the JPEG file to be added as it was happening before.

So please help me to solve this problem.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have LR CC then  you also have PS CC, right?  Why are you using PS CS6?

• 2. Re: Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr
            SRoyC Level 1

Thank you for your response.

Actually, I have been CS6 for very long time, and all my brushes, settings and plugins in CS6, so I still use CS6. Moreover, I have migrated to Lr CC very recently, earlier, I was using the stand alone version of Lr, and that also made it convenient for me to use CS6.

• 3. Re: Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr

Does Edit in PS start up CC or CS6? 

CS6 can only work with ACR 9.1.1.  LR CC 2015.6.1 would be equivalent to ACR 9.6.1 so if there is a newer feature in LR CC that wasn’t there in LR CC 2015.1.1 then CS6/ACR 9.1.1 won’t work.  Open Anyway is the option that won’t create a PSD, but some newer things like Transform and a few other things won’t work because ACR 9.1.1 doesn’t know how to render them.

• 4. Re: Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom has been designed to enable you to save either a TIF or PSD file when working in Photoshop. Then, in Lightroom, you can export JPEG images when needed. There isn't an option in the Lightroom preferences to have Photoshop create a JPEG image and conclude that image in the catalog. It never has had that option. It will be necessary for you to import the JPEG separately if that is the workflow that you must have.

Any time Photoshop is involved in the workflow, another file must be created because Photoshop cannot work on raw image data. Photoshop uses camera raw during the transfer from Lightroom to convert the image to a pixel-based image. Personally, I prefer to have Photoshop create a TIF image which is automatically included in the catalog when I return to Lightroom. I often find it necessary to make other small adjustments to the TIF image. Then it's simple to export a JPEG when it's needed.

• 5. Re: Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr
                  SRoyC Level 1

Thank your for your replies.

ssprengel

It actually opens in CS6 with the warning dialogue, the one I have already mentioned.

JimHess

I can assure you that I have used the feature in Lr 6 and 5, where I can add the Jpeg obtained after opening and editing RAW files in Ps CS6. After editing I used "Save As" and created the JPEG, which was duly added to the original collection stacked with the respective RAW file.

• 6. Re: Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SRoyC wrote:

JimHess

I can assure you that I have used the feature in Lr 6 and 5, where I can add the Jpeg obtained after opening and editing RAW files in Ps CS6. After editing I used "Save As" and created the JPEG, which was duly added to the original collection stacked with the respective RAW file.

I certainly don't want to suggest that you are wrong. All I can say is that, in my experience using Lightroom since version 2, I have never had the Photoshop "Save As" command automatically include an image in my Lightroom catalog. My experience was the basis for my comment. I can synchronize the folder, which will add the JPEG to the catalog. But the "Save As" command has never added an image to my catalog automatically, regardless of what file format I have chosen.

• 7. Re: Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr

LR only imports documents you use Save with, not Save As.

You need to use Edit in PS, select Open Anyway from the 3 options given when it complains about needing ACR 9.6, which should result in your seeing an NEF in the titlebar of the opened document, not a TIF or PSD, then you can do Save (not Save As) which will automatically bring up the Save As where you can select JPG as the format and it should be included in your catalog automatically.  The reason for it doing Save As even though you've chosen Save is because you cannot save back to the NEF document that is listed in the title bar and it automatically generates allows saving as a JPG.

If you Edit In PS and have LR create a PSD or TIF on the way into PS, which you're describing as what you're doing, now, then your Save will merely save that TIF or PSD document again, which will be include that TIF or PSD in LR and any attempt to Save As to a JPG won't include the JPG.

If you were previously getting a JPG in LR then it was because you were doing a Save not Save As.  Something has changed with your workflow, where you're having LR generate a TIF or PSD.  That is the reason the JPGs are no longer being automatically included.

If you are no longer being asked the three options that include Open Anyway as you do an Edit In PS, perhaps you chose Don't Show Again, when it asked you and it is just skipping the asking and doing whatever you picked that last time.  If this is what is happening, then go into LR preferences and click the Reset All Warning Dialogs button so it'll ask you again, and you can choose Open Anyway when it complains about needing ACR 9.6.

Of course, to be using the software as designed, would be to use PS CC 2015.5 with LR CC 2015.6.1 and it should work smoothly, except for whatever reasons you're still using CS6.

--

I asked whether you were using Edit in PS or something else to go to PS, because you could also have defined photoshop.exe as a third-party external editor and invoke it directly using Edit in PS.exe, thus bypassing the normal Edit in PS.  A third-party editor always creates a TIF or PSD.

• 8. Re: Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr
                        SRoyC Level 1

ssprengel

Thank you so much for clarifying. Yes, you are absolutely right, I was using "ctrl+s" which was bringing up the "save as" dialogue and the resultant jpeg was getting added automatically. Actually I am trying the Lr CC, and there is a chance that I shall go back to the stand alone version if this subscription model does not suit me (chances are slim that this is going to suitable for me) and in that case my trusty old CS6 will come in handy again.

What I understand is that if I use "Open Anyway" option some features of ACR 9.6 are not going to be rendered by CS6. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• 9. Re: Trouble editing NEF files in Ps CS6 from Lr

You can use Dehaze in LR CC and have that render in CS6/ACR 9.1.1.

If you switch back to LR 5.7 you won’t even have Dehaze.  Just don’t use the new features of LR CC other than Dehaze and that should be the equivalent of LR 5.7 + Dehaze and always use Open Anyway.

Do you know that your CS6-centric add-ons won’t work in PS CC?