9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 1:20 PM by Roei Tzoref

Null not moving with tracking data

BruceMCE Level 1

I created a track in Mocha AE and copied it to the clipboard.
      I then created a Null in AE and pasted the tracking data onto it.

However, the Null doesn't move at all.
      Any ideas?

PS I did watch it during the tracking process, and the X Spline I created did move/track.

• 1. Re: Null not moving with tracking data
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          I created a track in Mocha AE and copied it to the clipboard.

make sure you completely understand the Mocha-ae workflow: Tracking and stabilization motion workflows in After Effects

if you did all that you were supposed to do and the problem that the data does not "Paste" try restarting mocha and after effects. you can run a test to see if the mocha data is copied by pasting into a text editor and seeing if there is mocha data pasted there.

• 2. Re: Null not moving with tracking data
            BruceMCE Level 1

I copied and pasted the Tracking Data, and when looking at the position coordinates for each keyframe, they were all identical.

• 3. Re: Null not moving with tracking data

Interesting. my guess is that you are copying the tracked data but not at the same time timecode it need to be. please show us the full Ae interface with your timeline zoomed out

and also the full mocha interface with the corresponding footage.

• 4. Re: Null not moving with tracking data
                BruceMCE Level 1

Here's a screenshot of both AE and Mocha, using the same project.
                MochaNoTrack.jpg

• 5. Re: Null not moving with tracking data

you have a composition here of 54 Minutes. are you going to render the whole 54 minutes with the 54 minutes of composited elements using mocha data in after effects? I assume the answer is no. first thing you have to do is set your composition to the duration of the shot you need to make. only then you take it to Mocha and track your footage.

so in your example I assume you need to track about 30 seconds or maybe more? set the work area accordingly:

then trim the timespan to the duration:

then you will have this:

ahhh MUCH better. only the duration you need. now use the Track in Mocha Ae option. when in Mocha, you will see again the entire duration of your enormous video file:

to keep things organized you can zoom timeline to in/out points so that you will see just the trimmed footage and won't get disoriented by 53.5 minutes of video you don't need. press here:

now you will see this - just your trimmed footage

track the data, export and when you paste the data - be sure you are on the first frame.

GOOD LUCK!

• 6. Re: Null not moving with tracking data
                    BruceMCE Level 1

OK. That worked, so thank you very much for the info.

However, I do need to track all 54 minutes. The issue I have is that I have to cover/remove the logo on his shirt, and he moves quite a lot, to where the logo is visible, then not, then it's visible again.
                    Do I need to set up a different comp for every time the logo is visible?
                    Or, can I just set up one comp and Mocha will be able to track the logo once it's back in the frame?

• 7. Re: Null not moving with tracking data
                      Do I need to set up a different comp for every time the logo is visible?

54 minutes is A LOT. I would try to make it in one go for as long as I can. it all depends on how obscure the tracking data gets from one replacement to the other. a comp for each replacement could get messy. you are going to have to see for yourself what workflow is required to keep your sanity and finish this project in a timely fashion. trial and error as you go along that's what I say.

• 8. Re: Null not moving with tracking data
                        BruceMCE Level 1

When I quoted him how much it would cost, the project suddenly died (and I was lowballing). It's funny how people expect the world for nothing. LOL

• 9. Re: Null not moving with tracking data

at least you probably learned something, right?