18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2016 3:12 PM by donm26210672

Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel

donm26210672

Although I have recorded my video in 2 channel stereo it appears on the timeline as 5.1 with 6 tracks. I want to mute the sound on one the audio clips but even though I have moved the marker to -oo the sound is still there. I haven't had this problem with 2 track audio.

So why is the audio track in 5.1 and how do I convert it to 2 channels? If not, how do I lower the sound effectively?

I have Windows 7 with Elements 13.

• 1. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you post a screen capture of your timeline displayed 5.1 audio?

Also, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what resolution and format is the video?

When you add your video to your timeline, is there a yellow orange 'render' line above your first clip along the top of the timeline, indicating that the program is not matching its project settings to your video specs?

RenderLine.jpg

• 2. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
            donm26210672 Level 1

I use a Panasonic HC-X920.The video is AVCHD 1080/50p

I've added the clip above again to the timeline but there isn't a yellow orange 'render' line above it.

The properties of the clip above says the source audio is 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo. Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Don

• 3. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel

That camcorder can indeed shoot in 5.1 audio. Are you absolutely sure you're not shooting in 5.1?

I see there is a green line above the clip on your timeline. Are you saying that when you re-add the clip to your timeline as the first clip, there is no line (no yellow orange or green line) above the clip?

What do you see as your project settings, listed under the Edit menu, in Project Settings?

• 4. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
                donm26210672 Level 1

The camcorder has always been set as 2 channel for audio. I have never altered it but double-checked and it is still set up as 2 channel not 5.1

I checked the properies of the original clip, which I imported and the audio properties are:-

Bit rate - 256kbps

Channels 2 (stereo)

Audio sample rate 48 kHz

Again I have added the clip to the beginning of the time line and there is a green line above.

In the Project settings

Editing mode: HD1080i

Timebase 29.97 frames /second

Audio sample rate 48000Hz

To achieve mute sound I know I can delete the audio clip but I would like to know why the audio mixer cannot reduce the volume to zero.

Thanks,

Don

• 5. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel

You should not see a green line or a yellow orange line above your clip at the beginning of the timeline, so something is not being set up correctly.

You still haven't said what format your video is. Sometimes the program has trouble matching the properties of MOV files. MTS files and MP4s usually work just fine.

• 6. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
                    donm26210672 Level 1

The format of the video is AVCHD Video (.MTS)

Does the green line mean the video has been rendered, the yellow orange line meaning it hasn't been?

• 7. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel

Yes.

But if the program is matching your video specs, you should see NO LINE there  until you add effects or transitions to it.

Try starting a new project. On the New Project panel, select Full AVCHD 1920x1080 with stereo audio. Then go into your project and drop a clip from your camcorder onto the beginning of the timeline. If you STILL see or orange line above the clip, then something is fudging up the process. Like something in the file that Premiere Elements doesn't recognize.

• 8. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
                        donm26210672 Level 1

I have started a new project with AVCHD 1080p50  1920X1080 with stereo audio but I noticed in this preset that there are 3 stereo and 3 5.1 tracks.

Ther was no coloured line above the imported clip.

• 9. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Download MediaInfo and install.

Load up a clip and post a screenshot of a clip in Mediainfo in treeview.

• 10. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
                            donm26210672 Level 1

It's not a screen shot but it's a treeview and has the media info as requested.

General

ID                                       : 1 (0x1)

Complete name                            : C:\Users\PC user\Desktop\GMR sign and pan down.MTS

Format                                   : BDAV

Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video

File size                                : 39.6 MiB

Duration                                 : 13 s 412 ms

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 24.8 Mb/s

Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 28.0 Mb/s

Video

ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4.2

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames

Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=24

Codec ID                                 : 27

Duration                                 : 13 s 400 ms

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 23.4 Mb/s

Maximum bit rate                         : 25.0 Mb/s

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate                               : 50.000 FPS

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.226

Stream size                              : 37.4 MiB (94%)

Audio

ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)

Format                                   : AC-3

Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)

Format settings, Endianness              : Big

Codec ID                                 : 129

Duration                                 : 13 s 440 ms

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 384 kb/s

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L R

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz

Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 spf)

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Delay relative to video                  : -40 ms

Stream size                              : 630 KiB (2%)

Text

ID                                       : 4608 (0x1200)

Format                                   : PGS

Codec ID                                 : 144

Duration                                 : 12 s 896 ms

Delay relative to video                  : -40 ms

• 11. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel

If there is no orange line it means your footage matches the project settings.

You have no choice but to choose a 1080p50 project settings.

Do you see a yellow line over the audio part of the clip in the timeline?

It that particular clip gives you trouble convert in Audacity to stereo if possible.

• 12. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel

I see nothing in the Media Info report that indicates there is anything unusual about this video file. It's definitely a AVCHDp50 with stereo channels.

• 13. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
                                  donm26210672 Level 1

Going back to my original query.

I don't understand why I cannot reduce the audio as you can see in the screenshot. I cannot manually do it either on the timeline.

• 14. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel

There is something wrong with the audio. Elements cannot interpret the file correct somehow.

Try suggestion in post 11.

Can you upload a short clip?

• 15. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
                                      donm26210672 Level 1

I have tried the clip in other projects and I have had no problem with it.

However the problem project is an archived one. I still have the original project. I imported the clip and the audio works fine. Is there any reason why the audio control should play up on an archived project? I have tried the same clip in other archived projects without any problem.

It may just be one of life's little mysteries!

• 16. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel

That particular archived project might be corrupt.

• 17. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel

I assume the project was originally created in version 13, right? You didn't open a project created by an earlier version of the program -- which is definitely a no-no.

Beyond that, yep, it's a mystery.

• 18. Re: Convert 5.1 stereo to 2 channel
                                            donm26210672 Level 1

Yes it was created in version 13.