4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 4:02 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom not backedup system crashed

srir22529695

Hi.. I did not back up light room and my system fails to boot. However on use of system recovery CD. I am able to access the files on the hard-disk. Would backing up the system files help in restoring the data once I install light room again.

Please help

• 1. Re: Lightroom not backedup system crashed
          dj_paige Level 9

Definitely, you should make backups of all of your photos and the catalog file.

I don't know why you are concerned about backing up "system files", I don't even know what you mean by "system files", they may be helpful for some purposes, but not as far as restoring Lightroom is concerned.

• 2. Re: Lightroom not backedup system crashed
            srir22529695 Level 1

Dear dj_paige,

Thank you for your response. I agree it is a blunder done by me by not backing up lightroom.

In regard to the system files, i am refering to situation, when lightroom is installed and running in your system. Various folders of lightroom would be created in Program files, App data and various other folders in Windows Operating system.

I wanted to know if we copy all these folders from the operating system and paste them in new disk when lighroom is re installed(in new system) would it help?

Thanks in advance

• 3. Re: Lightroom not backedup system crashed
              F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This would not restore your catalog (with the work done) and not restore your photos.

Backing up the photos can not be done with LR and needs to be done separately. Keep in mind that your photos are not 'in' LR. LR only keeps a reference to your original photo and not the file itself.

Backing up the catalog (lrcat) brings you the chance of recovering your work done.

Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom CC and 6

• 4. Re: Lightroom not backedup system crashed
                dj_paige Level 9

(n regard to the system files, i am refering to situation, when lightroom is installed and running in your system. Various folders of lightroom would be created in Program files, App data and various other folders in Windows Operating system.

I wanted to know if we copy all these folders from the operating system and paste them in new disk when lighroom is re installed(in new system) would it help?

You need to re-install Lightroom and any other programs you use. You need to copy your catalog file and photos (and presets) to a disk somewhere so you can use them.