5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 11:24 PM by RoninEdits

i7 2600k vs i5 3570k

jerriwithaneye

Looking to compare these two cpu's from a Premiere CC 2015 performance standpoint. (Assuming all other components are the same) Would the older sandy bridge  2600k perform better on premiere than a newer ive bridge 3570k ?  I understand you get Hyper threading on the i7 but would that be enough edge out the i5 with newer architecture  ?

• 1. Re: i7 2600k vs i5 3570k
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i don't have premiere benchmarks to reference, but i believe the 2600k would edge out the 3570k. the ivy bridge cpu's had a decent jump in performance, but not enough for an i5 to catch an i7 for programs like premiere that can benefit from hyper-threading.

• 2. Re: i7 2600k vs i5 3570k
            JFPhoton Level 3

....its like comparing a stegosaurus to a brontosaurus....they're both DINOSAURS !!!

• 3. Re: i7 2600k vs i5 3570k

considering how stagnate intel has been with their generational performance increases, its not a problem that they are older, but rather only 4 cores.

• 4. Re: i7 2600k vs i5 3570k
                jerriwithaneye Level 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hey  RoninEdits

Yea they are older parts lol its more of a second rig for my outhouse. I already have a spare z68 motherboard lying around anyway.

So we are all in agreement that the HT in the i7 should compensate between the two cpu's. But how much would you guesstimate percentage wise and also which aspects/functions of premier pro will actually make use of HT?

On a side note Im also hunting for a used gpu for this older build as we speak, I was thinking of picking up a 670 or 770?

• 5. Re: i7 2600k vs i5 3570k

i think only the devs would have a list of which functions are coded for multi-threading and to which core/thread count. i would guess that the i7 will be around 10-20% faster in premiere, than the newer i5. both should be able to overclock to get some more performance as well.

adobe recently dropped older gpu support, the 600 series is now the oldest supported. i think i read some people having problems with the 600 series, so i would try to go with the 700 series or newer.

1 person found this helpful