13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 4:34 AM by zdw_London

After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?

nicnacpictures

Hi,

I just opened my Premiere project and one Dynamically linked file was showing me that one layer was black and white but the background is still in colour which are both coming from AE. I have already rendered this for a client a couple of times and not had this problem but now its just happened...

Can anybody help with this?

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details like exact versions of the programs, types of footage and effects used and so on. Start by flushing any caches and re-rendering the sequence timeline.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
            nicnacpictures Level 1

Thank you. I haven't made a discussion before so I wasnt sure what i needed to post.

My system specs are:

Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz

Geforce GTX Titan X 12GB

32GB of RAM

Asus-x99-Deluxe II Motherboard

And its all running of a NVME Samsung SSD 950 M.2

I am running AE Version 13.8.1.38 on Windows

and Premiere 2015.4 Release - 10.4.0(30)Build on Windows

The main footage is a ProRes file that is completely fine and Alpha footage is from Video Copilots Action Essentials Pack called Explosions_2.mov

Thanks,

Tom

• 3. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
              Alpha footage is from Video Copilots Action Essentials Pack called Explosions_2.mov

This got my attention. there is a problem for many users right now with the Png Codec + Alpha footage to my knowledge in Win10 and some Mac Os systems. look here: Re: AE 13.8.1 BUG native QT png support . if this is the case with your situation: since you can't uninstall QT on Mac (heard that even if you do - it will cause problems in other things so don't). the best advice that can be given here is to use older version of Ae - 13.7.2 for now and please file a bug report: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 4. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
                shiznit1994 Level 1

I am having the same issue. Everything was working fin a week ago.. Opened the project today to work on it and every .MOV from file is black and white. It is also a VCP video, I don't see anything on there forums.

I have tried everything... Clearly there is an issue that needs to be fixed...

On a side note the recurring answer of "Revert back to an older version" is an AWFUL answer... It rarely provides a real solution to the problem.. It simply puts a band-aid on it...

And the "No one can tell you anything without system specs" is also an awful response... If the machine can open and run after effects machine specs should not play any roll a program working as intended... Not to mention every EVERY TIME I have seen that same post (I am starting to think it is copy and pasted) the problem has NOT been the hardware...

• 5. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
                  nicnacpictures Level 1

The only real work around for me was opening the project on an up to date Late 2011 iMac and that rendered it in colour with no issues. so its definitely a windows issue and my assumption would be with windows Quicktime Codec which has had issues in the last couple of months.

• 6. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
                    shiznit1994 Level 1

I am in the middle of doing that same thing in hopes it would work. Thanks for validating my idea! There was a windows update last week, so it may have un-did the fix for quicktime that was working...

• 7. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
                      On a side note the recurring answer of "Revert back to an older version" is an AWFUL answer... It rarely provides a real solution to the problem.. It simply puts a band-aid on it...

this response is meant to see if the problems still occurs in previous version. if it DOES NOT it means this a bug and all you can do for now is to file a bug report and wait for it to be fixed like it says in the original response. not all problems can be fixed right now in this minute as upsetting as it may be for you.

"No one can tell you anything without system specs"

this is meant to see if you have the most updated version of the software and what exactly is you hardware so we can cross reference to other issues and tell you if this a bug or something else.

Now after you know these facts, maybe these answers are not that awful

• 8. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?

are you on Win10 if you are on Windows, try uninstalling QT and see if the problem goes away.

• 9. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
                          shiznit1994 Level 1

Hardware has NOTHING to do with the program working as intended, because if it is/was a hardware issue other programs would also not work. And by other programs I mean almost everything on the computer..

And for the reverting back, NO tech support has ever had customers revert back to a previous version.... Not for testing or other wise.. Putting people through what can often be a lengthy download and install process is unrealistic...

You guys want to keep your post counts up so you can keep or get to VIP status... You are not offering solutions... You are just posting to post...

People come to forums generally to see if other people are having the same issues.. I personally, being a tech support agent in my past, if a person is smart enough to check forums chances are they have gone through the basics.. And by basics I mean, checked the FAQ, Checked computer for updates, and often times checked their hardware...

That being said, This is a quicktime issue.. They do not want to back PC users anymore so when windows had updates this week it broke the 3rd party Quicktime fix.. So, the solution is to convert .MOV files to another format. There are several ways to do this, you can download programs, I am not sure if this can be done through media encoder (I will be trying later today). The only issue is if you still need/want the alpha channel, if that is a problem they are not hard to make. 

And this is yet another reason to hate apple..

• 10. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?

This maybe a waste of energy because you seem that you already made up your mind about everything, and not open for discussion but here goes:

Hardware has NOTHING to do with the program working as intended, because if it is/was a hardware issue other programs would also not work. And by other programs I mean almost everything on the computer..

I was speaking in general terms. this specific problems is not related to Hardware and I don't see anyone asking for Hardware information.

And for the reverting back, NO tech support has ever had customers revert back to a previous version.... Not for testing or other wise.. Putting people through what can often be a lengthy download and install process is unrealistic...

We are not tech support. we are only users that help other users with issues with the software. this is a bug - and in some cases the only thing you can do is try in a version that works until you get a fix. some users don't even know they have an option to use previous versions that will work absolutely find to all their intents and purposes for now.

You guys want to keep your post counts up so you can keep or get to VIP status... You are not offering solutions... You are just posting to post...

What?? there's a V.I.P??? GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME. I been have busting my #@@ here dealing with all sort of people you would not believe.

if a person is smart enough to check forums chances are they have gone through the basics.. And by basics I mean, checked the FAQ, Checked computer for updates, and often times checked their hardware...

You would be surprised. anyways this is irellevant because this issue is not reported anywhere formal. yet.

So, the solution is to convert .MOV files to another format. There are several ways to do this, you can download programs, I am not sure if this can be done through media encoder (I will be trying later today). The only issue is if you still need/want the alpha channel, if that is a problem they are not hard to make.

you could. but if you are Windows you can also remove quicktime AND RE-INSTALL JUST ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS. it worked here:

Re: Clips with Alpha Channel Not Working After Aug 2016 Update.

• 11. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
                              shiznit1994 Level 1

"Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info" -very first reply...

"you could. but if you are Windows you can also remove quicktime AND RE-INSTALL JUST ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS. it worked here:" -Was the first thing I did before going to forums, didn't work (being as quicktime and pc is an ongoing problem was the 1st thought)...

"What?? there's a V.I.P??? GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME. I been have busting my #@@ here dealing with all sort of people you would not believe." -Would you like me to count how many times you have posted the EXACT same comment? Making people's lives more difficult is is not helpful in anyway... If technical specs where so very important to Adobe.. None of the programs would ever work because statistically the number of possible system configs are limitless, also part of the required info to sign up for the forums would be system info.. 

"You would be surprised. anyways this is irellevant because this issue is not reported anywhere formal. yet." again was a tech support for many years, again I said MOST... Meaning give people some credit... And as far as it not posting windows users have know for months that there was and will be issues with quicktime..

"you could. but if you are Windows you can also remove quicktime AND RE-INSTALL JUST ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS. it worked here:" Should have been your 1st post, it would have been a great start to finding out what is actually going on... It is actually helpful, even though it did not work in my case..

• 12. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?

I know I should stop responding and I will eventually... but let's go another round:

"Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info" -very first reply...

This was actually Milenyum - go bug him about that! Milenyum! how dare you waste people's time with your irrelevant queries???

"you could. but if you are Windows you can also remove quicktime AND RE-INSTALL JUST ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS. it worked here:" -Was the first thing I did before going to forums, didn't work (being as quicktime and pc is an ongoing problem was the 1st thought)...

Obviously you are very clever. you should help users here and do some good. IT'S FUN (most of the time)

"What?? there's a V.I.P??? GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME. I been have busting my #@@ here dealing with all sort of people you would not believe." -Would you like me to count how many times you have posted the EXACT same comment? Making people's lives more difficult is is not helpful in anyway... If technical specs where so very important to Adobe.. None of the programs would ever work because statistically the number of possible system configs are limitless, also part of the required info to sign up for the forums would be system info..

it's quite hard to understand what are refering to because I was clearly joking about not knowing what is V.I.P - but please don't try to explain yourself again. I feel your disappointment and will try to get better next time. I think in this issue maybe five people have thankd me for walking them through this, but maybe I have ruined 500 users in the process??. who knows? I know at least one is definitely not happy.

"You would be surprised. anyways this is irellevant because this issue is not reported anywhere formal. yet." again was a tech support for many years, again I said MOST... Meaning give people some credit... And as far as it not posting windows users have know for months that there was and will be issues with quicktime..

some people know a few things. some don't. many users here are pretty basic level in my experiance. every once and awhile comes someone like you though.

"you could. but if you are Windows you can also remove quicktime AND RE-INSTALL JUST ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS. it worked here:" Should have been your 1st post, it would have been a great start to finding out what is actually going on... It is actually helpful, even though it did not work in my case..

well, I only knew about the re-installation with only essential QT components workaround a few hours ago. sorry for you that it did not work. though I am not worried for you, you were a Tech guy for many years so you will figure it out yourself eventually.

• 13. Re: After Effects Randomly turned a video with an Alpha Black and white?
                                  zdw_London

I had the same problem and managed to fix it by emptying the disk cache. Just go into AE Preferences - Media & Disk Cache - Empty Disk Cache. Make sure you go into the folder and delete everything AE related. Sometimes just pressing the empty disk cache in preferences doesn't remove all of it.

If that doesn't fix it, I also did this in the process, so maybe one of these helped fix the problem as well:

1) Clean Database & Cache

2) Update AE (if there is one)

3) Purge all data: Edit - Purge - All memory & disk cache