12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 8:41 AM by Danny Whitehead.

How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign

iSexualAttraction

I have a book written in Word and it's almost ready to publish. Looking at IngramSpark specifications, they want a PDF with CMYK colors which must be done with InDesign exported into PDF. Ok... Almost all the design is already done in Word (page headers, page numbers, fonts, etc)

I have no experience with InDesign whatsoever and don't really know what it's being used for. Apparently, it's used to do the final polishing of the book. I'll have to hire someone to do that. Problem is: I don't know what to ask them to do!

Could someone provide me with a step-by-step workflow of what needs to be done to take that Word document and get a publishing-ready InDesign file?

Also, what tasks should be performed by that person to obtain a book that is as close to possible to a book made by an official publisher?

What should I look for when looking for such a person, say, on Freelancer.com? (I also suppose there are plenty of experts here who would be willing to do it, although a site like Freelancer gives more control with price and reviews)

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This is not something you want to do without proper training.

Pay a professional.

• 2. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Forget the design, you have done in Word. Someone who knows InDesign will import the text, format it with styles, make numbers to the pages and will probably remake graphics and work on images.

• 3. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
              MW Design Level 4

Is the book in Word exactly how you want it to appear in the printed book? You know, page size, margins, in general, the whole layout?

• 4. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
                BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Could someone provide me with a step-by-step workflow of what needs to be done to take that Word document and get a publishing-ready InDesign file?

As per Willi's advice... a good designer won't need the steps. They will look at your layout and re-create it, and perhaps offer advice for improvement along the way, which you can choose to accept or veto. Ask around for good local designers... word of mouth is often the best way to find someone.

• 5. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
                  iSexualAttraction Level 1

BobLevine wrote:

This is not something you want to do without proper training.

Pay a professional.

That's what I want to do. I've already hired someone to do the cover design and I give her 10/10. I hired someone to do proofreading and give him 5.5/10... might need to hire someone else to finalize. Then I need someone for InDesign.

To properly delegate, I need to understand the overview of what needs to be done.

MW Design wrote:

Is the book in Word exactly how you want it to appear in the printed book? You know, page size, margins, in general, the whole layout?

Yes, already done. All that is easy to do in Word.

My question is this: What does Adobe InDesign allow to do that Word can't do? (other than working with CMYK colors)

And then, how much work does this require for a 25000 words (108 pages 5.5x8.25) book, and what budget should I expect?

Finally, once the book is in InDesign, can the text be easily modified? I get the impression that this goes at the last stage of production to manually adjust the alignment details, and that the text shouldn't be changed at this point as it would shift everything else. What's the reality?

Barb Binder wrote:

Ask around for good local designers

I'm in Thailand right now; I'd rather get someone who speaks good English and who knows what InDesign means Seriously though, the laws discourage me from hiring someone from my local area. I have to pay 15% tax *only* if I hire someone from my home province, and not if I hire someone from anywhere else.

• 6. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
                    MW Design Level 4

If the book is done completely and appears properly in Word--fonts, layout and all, and you're happy with it--a proper CMYK PDF can be gotten out of Word. One needs to have Acrobat and there is a little PDF post-processing if there are images, but that takes seconds.

If you desire, I would be happy to do so on an excerpt. You would need to save out a portion that includes an image (if there are any). Upload that to dropbox.com or the like and send me a Private Message with a download link and your email address. I would then do the sample, upload it for your inspection, and write back with simple instructions for you to do the full book.

One thing I don't know if you have done is you do need to make sure the page count is evenly divisible by 4.

Mike

• 7. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign

Page count divisible by 4? IngramSpark asks it to be divisible by 2. That's just a last-minute detail. A blank page can be added if needed (they need a blank page at the end anyway)

Can you post simple instructions on how to export a CMYK PDF with Acrobat? Are there restrictions or drawbacks with this method?

Still I'd like to know: Does InDesign allow doing things that Word cannot do, or is it just a different tool to do the job?

• 8. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
                        BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Does InDesign allow doing things that Word cannot do, or is it just a different tool to do the job?

InDesign is a professional page layout program, with the most advanced typographic controls of any program in the world.

http://indesignsecrets.com/why-use-indesign-instead-of-ms-word.php

Word vs InDesign

6 Reasons to Switch from Word to InDesign

• 9. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
                          Derek Cross Level 6

I suggest before you employ either a proof-reader or a designer you get a good copy-editor to go over your book. They will sort out the style, consider the approach, and what might be improved by reorganising, signposting, or re-writing and so on. You will also probably need to consider things like an ISBN, possibly an Index etc.

• 10. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
                            Danny Whitehead. Level 4

iSexualAttraction wrote:

Does InDesign allow doing things that Word cannot do, or is it just a different tool to do the job?

It has a very different focus to Word.

Word is a Word Processor - essentially evolved from a typewriter and originally intended to produce documents that would be printed in small quantities on an office printer.

InDesign is a page layout program - evolved from traditional typesetting and layout methods and intended to produce documents that are printed commercially in large quantities.

This means each has its own esoteric capabilities for its particular industry. There's a lot more to commercial printing on a press than just hitting 'Print', as you would with an office printer.

• 11. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign

Derek Cross wrote:

I suggest before you employ either a proof-reader or a designer you get a good copy-editor to go over your book. They will sort out the style, consider the approach, and what might be improved by reorganising, signposting, or re-writing and so on. You will also probably need to consider things like an ISBN, possibly an Index etc.

The book is 100% channeled and I'm not authorized to edit it, except proofreading and a few tweaks here and there that don't change the meaning or structure.

ISBN, already taken care of. Contacted Canada's agency and they'll send me an ISBN during the week. Index, that's one thing I'm not sure about. (necessary? how to generate it?)

BarbBinder, thanks for the links, it's very instructive to understand the difference. Personally I'm pretty satisfied with the design I already have in Word although a few tweaks are still required here and there. Unless there are major drawbacks, I don't see the point of redoing the whole thing in InDesign; unless it can be done easily for a low investment and has clear advantages. Images need to be reworked anyway.

MW Design, with Adobe Distiller, there is "default settings" allowing to select "PDF/X-3-2002", and then unchecking "rely on system fonts only" to embed fonts. Not sure about CMYK conversion; where is that done?

Then here's something I'm not sure about. IngramSpark specs say this:

BLACK/RICH BLACK/DENSITY: We recommend a rich black with CMYK values = 60% Cyan / 40% Magenta / 40% Yellow / and 100% Black. CMYK total value should not exceed 240%. Elements should not be built in ‘Registration’ (100% of all colors). *Files sent with densities higher than 240% may be rejected for correction.

If I use black in Word and it gets converted to CMYK, will it be set to rich black correctly?

One of the articles says this:

2) Graphics, especially TIFs and other bitmapped formats, tend to get automatically converted to RGB when imported, and then converted back out to CMYK for a “Press-Quality PDF.” That sounds ok at first glance, but when you preflight the resulting PQ-PDF you end up with built blacks for any text that was in the graphic, like 9 pt labels on pie charts. Text in a built black (process builds of 60-70-80-90 for example rather than 100% black) is too small for offset presses to print: you’ll end up with yellow or magenta or cyan halos around the text and it will appear as if it’s out of register. Digital/toner-based presses/printers tend to do ok with text in a built black. And EPS’s work ok, too.

I don't have graph-type of images with small fonts. Only pictures or schemas with lines and large fonts. How do I know whether I'll be affected by this issue?

• 12. Re: How to Convert Word Book Into InDesign
                                Danny Whitehead. Level 4

iSexualAttraction wrote:

Then here's something I'm not sure about. IngramSpark specs say this:

BLACK/RICH BLACK/DENSITY: We recommend a rich black with CMYK values = 60% Cyan / 40% Magenta / 40% Yellow / and

100% Black. CMYK total value should not exceed 240%. Elements should not be built in ‘Registration’ (100% of all colors). *Files sent with densities higher than 240% may be rejected for correction.

If I use black in Word and it gets converted to CMYK, will it be set to rich black correctly?

Not unless they provide a profile with that ink limit built in, and you have Distiller convert RGB black to that. And you certainly wouldn't want body text in rich black anyway.

That's one of the things that you need for commercial printing that Word doesn't offer - working with actual inks. It's all RGB.