13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 8:10 PM by Alanrob

Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup

Alanrob

I have purchased a new pc and want to move my old complete PE13 projects to my new PC for future reference. I have used the Project Archiver and have saved trimmed versions of my projects to an external hard disc and will transfer this disc to my new PC. My concern is that I cannot find any information about restoring my Trimmed Projects onto the new PC.  I Have downloaded a copy of PE 13 onto my new PC to ensure I am using the same level of software.  The old system is a Windows 7 machine and the new system is Windows 10. The one concern I have is that on the old system I set the scratch disc to drive E but on my new system PE 13 will be set to drive D. My questions are: I) what is the process for restoring trimmed projects? 2) Will there be issues with moving trimmed projects onto a system with different scratch discs paths?

Help I am still looking for assistance  22 Aug 2016

• 1. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Use the Project Archiver on your backed up file to "archive" it to the hard drive on your new computer.

• 2. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup
            Alanrob Level 1

Thank you Steve for your response. I just want to be sure that I am following the correct procedure for restoring trimmed projects.

1)      On my old Win 7 PC I use the Archive Function to generated a trimmed version of my movie which is written to an external disc.

2)      I physically move my external disc to my new WIN 10 PC

3)      I copy the trimmed project folder from my external disc to my internal hard disc “Drive D”. I use Windows Explorer to copy and paste the trimmed project folder.

4)      Using Windows Explorer, I navigate to my trimmed project folder and double click the Prj file.

5)      Premiere Elements 13 fires up and the project load dialogue box starts.

6)      The project load dialogue box closes and a little time later a message pop‘s up from Premiere Elements asking if I wish to switch the scratch disc to the C Drive as the scratch discs are either write protected or unavailable. (If you remember on my old Win PC the scratch discs are set to Drive E.)

7)      I say Yes to this message and the project continues to load.

8)      After some time, (my move is 1  1/2 hrs long) the time line starts to fill and the files are loaded.

9)      Once all files are loaded I can play my movie with all of the resources correct and all files loaded, and all editing as it was on my old PC. I make absolutely no changes just check that everything to correct.

10)   So far so good!

11)   What I do next is to “Save AS” the now loaded project with a new name called “xxxx- Restored”

12)   Then Exit out of the restored project.

13)   I then restart Premiere Elements 13 this time from the desk top

14)   I select Existing project.

15)   I select the project I have just restored “xxxx- Restored”.

16)   The project load dialogue box opens and the project start to load.

17)   The Project load dialogue box closes and then Premiere Elements 13 Crashes and closes down. I cannot load my restored project.

18)   What am I doing wrong!

• 3. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup

Sorry, I have no idea why this is happening, Alanrob.

• 4. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup
                Alanrob Level 1

Help! Help! I need Help!

Following on from the process described above.

1)      I copied the trimmed project that I saved on my external disc back to my original Win 7 PC into a new folder.

2)      I navigated to my trimmed project, and doubled clicked the trimmed project. Premiere Elements loaded and the project opened and the timeline filled correctly.

3)      I made no changes just checked that the movie would play. (Note there was no dialogue box that requested the scratch disc be changed as the project was now back on its original PC with the scratch disc set to drive E.)

4)      I “Saved As” the project back to the hard disc this time with “restored” add to the file name.

5)      I then Exited Premiere Elements.

6)      I then navigated to the “restored” project folder and double clicked the Prj  file; Premiere Elements started, the project loaded correctly, all media present was present and the movie could be played as normal.

7)      This proved to me that the trimmed project file that I originally produced on my Win 7 PC is not the problem and that the Premiere Elements crashes that I have experienced when I try and reload my Trimmed Project on my new Win 10 PC is something to do with the process I am following or a configuration problem on my new Win 10 PC which I am not aware of.

Can someone please help me as I really need to restore my old projects on my new PC.

Alan Roberts

• 5. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup
                  Alanrob Level 1

Please Please help me I really need someone to respond! I need to fix this I have at least 5 movies awaioting back up and this need to be fixed. Again Please Please Help Help Help

Alan Roberts

• 6. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup

Please confirm this:

1) You can browse to the external hard drive and open the archived project and it connects to all of your media.

2) If that's the case, use the Project Archiver again to "archive" this project and its media to the C drive of your new computer. It should then open up and all of the media will be connected to it.

I don't know why but all of your manually moving files around may be messing things up. I'm sorry if I can't make sense of all the details you've posted. But try just keeping it simple and let the program do the work for you: Use the Project Archiver to archive your project to your external hard drive, then use the Project Archiver to archive this project to the C drive of your new computer.

• 7. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup
                      Alanrob Level 1

Thanks Steve

I will try your suggested approach:

1) Archive a Trimmed Version of one of my projects to an external hard disc. (Does it matter what the letter of the external drive is ie G on my Win 7 PC and H on my Win 10 PC?.)

2) Move my external hard disc to my new Win 10 PC.

3) Start Premiere Elements and open the Trimmed Version of my project which has been previously saved to the external hard disc in step 1.

4) Once the project is fully loaded and everything is OK with the trimmed project use the Archive function to saved the trimmed version of the project to my C drive on my new Win 10 PC.

Do I have this correct? I will start from the beginning and will report back as soon as I have a result.

Thanks Again

Alan Roberts

• 8. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup

Let us know how it goes.

• 9. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup
                          Alanrob Level 1

Hi Steve

I tried the approached above and the result was the same, Premiere Elements crashed. I will go through the steps that I followed;

On my Old WIN 7 PC

1) I selected a known good project and using the Project Archiver  I saved a Trimmed Copy of the project to an External  Hard Disc drive D.

2) To check the Trimmed Copy was OK I opened  Premiere Elements  and navigated to the trimmed project on my External Hard Disc drive D. Double clicked the prj file which opened normally and project was restored with all media present and the edits in place.

3) To double check everything I then use the Project Archiver to Archive a trimmed copy of the project which was now on my External Hard Drive to my C drive. This worked fine.

4) I also open up this Trimmed Copy of my project and again all media was present and all edits in place

therefore on my old Win 7 PC I can archive to both an External Hard Drive and back to the C drive and all works.

On my new Win 10 PC:

1) I moved my External Hard disc to my new WIN 10 pc. The drive became drive I on this PC.

2) I open Premiere Elements and navigated to my trimmed project on my External Hard Disc Drive I.Double clicked the prj file which opened normally and project was restored with all media present and the edits in place. I did notice however three things:

a) An information message asking me to confirm the switching of the scratch disc to the C drive which I confirmed.

b) I had some missing rendered files which I skipped all. The project still loaded successfully.

c) I noticed that I had lost all of the project rendering and the timeline had quite a lot of orange showing.

3) I confirmed again all media was present and the project would play in the monitor window. All looked fine.

4) I then used the Project Archiver to attempt saving a trimmed copy of the project onto my C drive. But as soon as I started the Project Archiver Premiere Elements stopped working  and then crashed. In the same way as all the other projects.

I even went to the extent of Archiving the trimmed project that was on my C Drive on my WIN 7 PC back to the External Hard drive and moving that  to my WIN 10 PC and again attempted to use the project archiver to save a copy to my C drive but again Premiere Elements stopped working and crashed in the same way as all my other attempts.

Any ideas what I can do next.

Alan Roberts

• 10. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup

I assume you can start a new project on your new computer, add all of this media to the timeline and it will work fine, right?

If that's the case, I really don't know what's up and I have no idea what to suggest. There is nothing about the archiving process that would corrupt your files.

• 11. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup
                              Alanrob Level 1

Hi Steve

I think I may have found what is causing the Premiere Elements to crash on transferring my projects between PC's.

I worked back through my old projects and found a very simple movie. No sound track simple menus etc. I Archived this project and moved it to my new PC it worked! Then I tried  a second movie this time with a sound track and more complex titles etc. I Achieved this project and moved it to my new PC. The transfer failed and  PE crashed. So I stripped off the sound track and all titles and archived again and moved it to my new PC again it crashed!! But when I went back and looked at my project on my old PC I found I still had menu markers and DVD Menu associated with the project. I deleted the Menu Markers and DVD Menu and then Archived this project and then moved it to my new PC it Worked!!!!!!

So it seems the problem is the DVD Menu and or menu markers causes PE13 to crash when project are moved from PC to PC.

I am going to strip the DVD menu and Menu markers off all my old projects (about 40) and then archive the projects across to my new PC.

Any comments do you know if this is a known problem. It certainly isn't documented anywhere

Cheers Alan 

• 12. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup

Nope. You're definitely in unknown territory with this one, Alan. I've never seen or heard of anything like it.

• 13. Re: Restoring Trimmed Projects from Backup
                                  Alanrob Level 1

Hi Steve and anyone else,

I know its been some time since I updated this problem but I have been travelling overseas and with Christmas etc. But I have been re archiving my projects without the DVD menu and all seem to be working and transferring correctly have moved about 20 movies successfully only 20 to go. So the answer is delete the DVD menu before you archive and all should work

Cheers

Alan