9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 9:54 AM by whsprague

Windows 10 Anniversary Freezes LR CC 2015.6.1

whsprague Level 4

I let my computer upgrade to the Windows Anniversary Edition.  Lightroom is on CC 2015.6.1  I didn't use LR for anything and went past the 10 Windows roll back. 

I can start LR and the initial screens seems normal.  As soon as I move the mouse to do something, LR stops while the little blue circle spins.  After about 3 to 5 minutes the blue circle stops and LR is working except for videos.  They don't play.  There is no video preview screen. 

Windows, Lightroom and the Catalog are on a C:, which is a SSD.  The photo and video files are on D, a HDD.   It is an i7 computer with 16 GIGs of RAM and has been running Lightroom well since 5.0.

I've opened a backup catalog, uninstalled then reinstalled LR, I've tried new small catalogs and turned off the graphics card.  I routinely optimize and backup on LR exit.  It seems like there may be some problem with LR being on the C: drive trying to read files on the D: drive.   I've googled thoroughly and found nothing. 

My guess is there is a buried hitch in the Windows Anniversary Edition, but I can't nail it down. 

After a couple days of trying, I'm stumped.  Something is wrong and I can't find it!  Suggestions please!

Thanks.

Bill

• 1. Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Freezes LR CC 2015.6.1
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Works fine on my end.

The anniversary update also did update video drivers - at least on my system. I'd check that and update to the latest from the manufacturers webpage.

• 2. Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Freezes LR CC 2015.6.1
            bob frost Level 3

As soon as I move the mouse to do something, LR stops ......

.......................................................................

Have you tried updating your mouse driver, or using a different mouse?

Bob Frost

• 3. Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Freezes LR CC 2015.6.1
              whsprague Level 4

F. McLion wrote:

Works fine on my end.

The anniversary update also did update video drivers - at least on my system. I'd check that and update to the latest from the manufacturers webpage.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

• 4. Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Freezes LR CC 2015.6.1
                whsprague Level 4

bob frost wrote:

As soon as I move the mouse to do something, LR stops ......

.......................................................................

Have you tried updating your mouse driver, or using a different mouse?

Bob Frost

Thanks.   The mouse was working fine.

• 5. Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Freezes LR CC 2015.6.1
                  whsprague Level 4

Worked on it after I posted.   On a desperate hunch, I tried running Quicktime.  If fouled out with an error message that said it need the Apple Support program.  About a week ago I was cleaning up accumulated junk and deleted iTunes with the Support program that scans for updates.  I left Quicktime installed because I know it is needed for Adobe Premier Elements.  I deleted iTunes because I stopped using it when my iPod broke.  I googled for how to replace the Support program and found you do that by installing iTunes. 

As soon as iTunes, with its Support app, was installed Lightroom worked perfectly again. 

I don't know why Quicktime is needed for Lightroom.  Some months ago, Quicktime for Windows was declared prone to viruses.  At the time Apple had announced they would no longer update or support Quicktime for Windows.  Adobe said they were working on ending any reliance on Quicktime for Windows.   Apparently that has not yet been achieved.

Thank you again Bob Frost and F. McLion for trying to help me. 

• 7. Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Freezes LR CC 2015.6.1
                    bob frost Level 3

I also have to install Quicktime to get LR slideshow to perform properly. But I found that if your click on custom install with Quicktime, you can just choose to install Quicktime Essentials, which is all LR seems to require. That leaves out Quicktime Player etc. It does include support updates which keep asking me to install iTunes as well, but I just ignore that.

Bob frost

• 8. Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Freezes LR CC 2015.6.1
                      whsprague Level 4

F. McLion wrote:

Read more on this topic here: Impact of uninstalling Apple QuickTime

I had found that article in my google searching.  All it says is that "some codecs may become unavailable for import and playback."  It does not say which ones or give any other detail.  It is not a lot of help!

I did not uninstall QuickTime.  I uninstalled iTunes, Apple Application Support and Apple Mobile Device Support.  All those are listed in Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features.   I left QuickTime in place.  I do shoot video and use Lightroom to keep clips organized.   My video comes from common Sony and Panasonic cameras, not Apple devices.   Somehow, for some reason, Lightroom calls QuickTime into play in the background.  Somehow, QuickTime does not run without the Apple support files.  It took Lightroom 3 to 5 minutes to give up on finding the "broken" QuickTime.  It would then let me work on photos and see a preview of the clips.  It would not play the clips. 

The "fix" did not come from a re-install of QuickTime.  It came when I re-installed iTunes that, in turn, re-installed the three Apple support programs. 

There is a strange interdependency between Adobe's Lightroom, Apple's QuickTime, iTunes and Application Support programs.

Bill

• 9. Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Freezes LR CC 2015.6.1
                        whsprague Level 4

bob frost wrote:

I also have to install Quicktime to get LR slideshow to perform properly. But I found that if your click on custom install with Quicktime, you can just choose to install Quicktime Essentials, which is all LR seems to require. That leaves out Quicktime Player etc. It does include support updates which keep asking me to install iTunes as well, but I just ignore that.

Bob frost

Thank you Bob.

I didn't screw around with QuickTime.  I deleted iTunes and the Apple support programs.  To get the support files back, according to Apple I had to install iTunes again.  I guess I get to have iTunes and Apple Support to use Lightroom!  That's simply weird.