6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 8:12 AM by JimHess

Stand alone version of Lightroom

SteveeC53

I use lightroom only and have no need for Adobe's cloud option as I already use Microsoft Onedrive. I intend to purchase a license for the stand alone version of Lightroom. Please can I have assurance that the stand alone version will continue to be supported.

• 1. Re: Stand alone version of Lightroom
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is an open forum, not a direct link to Adobe support (or sales) so nobody here can say what Adobe will, or will not do in the future

I can say that CS6 is about 4 years old, and it is no longer being updated for compatibility with new hardware or operating systems

If you buy Lighroom 6 Download and install Lightroom 6 (Single App license)  and you want it to work "forever" you will have to keep using a supported computer "forever" and not upgrade your computer or operating system to something that is not compatible with LR6

• 2. Re: Stand alone version of Lightroom
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please can I have assurance that the stand alone version will continue to be supported.

Depends on what you mean by supported.

If you mean will it run provided you've got compatible hardware and operating system then yes.

If you mean, will updates be issued for new camera models and lens profiles plus bugfixes?

Yes until version 7 (if there is one) is released. After that you'll have to use the free DNG converter for new camera models.

Are you aware that new features for Lightroom are for the Cloud version only? The standalone version does not get them until version 7 (if there is one). To date, these include Dehaze, Boundary Warp and Guided Upright correction.

• 3. Re: Stand alone version of Lightroom
              SteveeC53 Level 1

Thanks to both of you.  It just seems crazy that I have to pay a subscription when I use lightroom only.  I will just have to take this up with Adobe.

• 4. Re: Stand alone version of Lightroom
                dj_paige Level 9

SteveeC53 wrote:

Thanks to both of you. It just seems crazy that I have to pay a subscription when I use lightroom only. I will just have to take this up with Adobe.

Do you really expect that Adobe is going to change their policies because you are unhappy with these policies?

• 5. Re: Stand alone version of Lightroom
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no LR-only subscription.  LR+PS for half the price of the PS-only subscription is as cheap is you can get.

If you want features added little-by-little over time then you pay little-by-little over time.

If you want more features added once at the beginning of the major version cycle, then you pay more, once per major version cycle.

• 6. Re: Stand alone version of Lightroom
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SteveeC53 wrote:

I use lightroom only and have no need for Adobe's cloud option as I already use Microsoft Onedrive.

There is a lot more to the creative cloud than just being able to store images in the cloud. You have access to Lightroom Mobile that enables you to work on images on your mobile devices. And with the subscription model you will always have all the features Lightroom has to offer. If you don't like that plan then you can certainly take your issue to Adobe. But I think you will find your efforts will be futile.