2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2006 8:50 AM by tornbetween2

Backward Timeline Navigation

tornbetween2
      I'm doing a project for my fathers wedding, and I need some help. I've got my timeline running and I stop it in order to show some animation (in the form of a movie symbol). Now my problem is, that I can't figure out how to make the regular timeline start back up again after the animations have finished their thing.

Some things i've tried...
      Basic actionscript: gotoAndPlay("example", 12); I just attempted to get it to go to the outside timeline, that the movie symbol was in...didn't work
      Complex actionscript: I created variables and made loops to check to see if something like "goOn =1" then it should navigate...but that doesn't seem to work either.

I've attempted this with both booleans, and int's, and I've got nothing.

So, If someone could help me out...Is there even any way of backward navigating a flash project. (If its confusing, this is what i'm talking about. MAIN TIMELINE > MOVIE SYMBOL 1> MOVIE SYMBOL 2. I'm trying to go from MOVIE SYMBOL 2 back to MOVIE SYMBOL 1) And if there is a way, how do I do it?

Any help with this as soon as possible would be a great help.

THANKS A BUNCH!!!
        • 1. Re: Backward Timeline Navigation
          Level 7
          >> Basic actionscript: gotoAndPlay("example", 12); I just attempted to get
          >> it to go to the outside timeline, that the movie symbol was in...didn't
          >> work

I'm not entirely sure what you're needing to do, but I think you want to
          first familiarize yourself with the _parent and _root properties. The main
          timeline is _root - it is a movie clip timeline just like clips you place in
          it. If you open Flash, make a new movie clip symbol and then place two
          instances of it on the main timeline your hierarchy is:

_root
          testClip
          testClip2

Within the timeline of testClip you can tell the main timeline to do
          something using either:

_parent.gotoAndPlay(10);
          _root.gotoAndPlay(10);

If you want to tell testClip2 to do something from within testClip you could
          do either again:

_parent.testClip2.gotoAndPlay(10);
          _root.testClip2.gotoAndPlay(10);

You can't target testClip2 directly because it's not in the timeline of
          testClip - it's on the _root timeline. If you were to make a second movie
          clip and place it within the timeline of your first clip, so you have this:

_root
          testClip
          anotherClip

then from within another clip _parent will get you to the timeline of
          testClip. _root will get you to the main timeline - as will
          _parent._parent - as in:

_parent.parent.gotoAndStop(10);

HTH

--
          Dave -
          Adobe Community Expert
          www.blurredistinction.com
          www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/

• 2. Re: Backward Timeline Navigation
            tornbetween2 Level 1
            Hey thanks, I didn't event think about that. I've used _root and _parent to access outsided flash movies and place them in the timeline but the thought never crossed my mind.

THANKS A BUNCH!!!