4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 2:31 PM by oksamurai

Character Animator Mesh Control?

destyniee58785599

Hello All,

I'm working on a very simple puppet animation in Character Animator/ After Effects 2015.3 and having problems with the mesh communicating between the head and body layers. The head isn't attached to the body correctly, and the parts that are are not what they're supposed to be. I've tried rearranging the layers in photoshop and messing with the mesh controls in character animator, but haven't come across anything to help the problem.

In the pictures, you'll see there is only mesh for the body although I don't have a "+" in front of the layer title and I unchecked "warp independently," so I don't know why they are not connected. The other problem can be seen in the male character clearly because his arm's movement is influenced by the head, which is frustrating. I've taken some screenshots of where the mesh bunches, as this is where I wish I had some control over how it is interpreted. The pictures are of different puppets, but were created with the same file names/ etc.

If anyone has any advice to alleviate the situation, I would appreciate it. If you need more information (i.e. screenshots) or files to further investigate, please let me know.

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.38.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.35.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.27.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.27.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 10.40.09 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 10.40.56 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.13.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.13.00 AM.png

Thanks for the help!!

D.N. Ellis

• 1. Re: Character Animator Mesh Control?
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

Ah, the joys of decapitation. A couple of possibilities:

• For the layer order for Megan, it looks like the neck is outside of the head or body group. Try putting it inside the body group as the top layer and see if that helps.
          • Try removing the + from Face Background. That's telling CH that the Face should be its own free-moving part, which I'm not sure you want here if you want one connected head.
          • Try deleting the origin in the PSD and just drag the origin point down for your head group inside CH instead. In Preview 4 you can now move/edit origins within CH, so there's not a need anymore to make them manually in Photoshop.

If none of that works, feel free to DM me the file as a Google Drive / Dropbox / Creative Cloud / etc link and I'll take a closer look.

• 2. Re: Character Animator Mesh Control?
            destyniee58785599 Level 1

Hi Oksamurai,

Thanks for the advice. I was really hoping it would work because it makes sense. Sadly, it didn't. I have attached pictures of the results.

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 12.15.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 12.14.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-17 at 12.15.14 PM.png

I can share the files with you on the cloud. How should I go about that?

Thanks for the help,

Destynie

• 3. Re: Character Animator Mesh Control?

No worries - I just direct messaged you - just reply with the link there!

• 4. Re: Character Animator Mesh Control?

Just to follow up on this for anyone curious - we figured it out via DM. It was about taking the + out of the face background, letting it be one mesh instead of an independent part.