8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 12:41 PM by Bob Somrak

is this chromatic aberration?

Florentinii Level 1

I'm trying to print a photograph of a day lilly. (See attached uncorrected) Along both edges of the stem is a black line. not in nature. when I color correct adding or subtracting contrast, clarity, sharpening, etc, it only gets worse. I don't know what chromatic aberration is and don't care so much as i'd just like to fix the pic.

thank you!

Roger

I am using OS 10.11.6, Lightroom CC, Epson Stylus Photo R3000 printer

DSC_9763.jpg

• 1. Re: is this chromatic aberration?
          Bob Somrak Level 5

Go to the lens correction panel and turn on Remove Chromatic Aberration

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 2.10.58 PM.png

If that doesn't work than use the Defringe section of the Lens Correction/Manual panel or the Defringe slider in the Local Adjustment Brush

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 2.12.42 PM.png

Here is the photo (it was to small to do a whole lot) with both settings enables and the eyedropper used in the defringe.

DSC_9763.jpg

• 2. Re: is this chromatic aberration?
            Florentinii Level 1

wow. thanks for doing that. I tried clicking remove Chromatic Aberration but saw no change. Then I tried the eye dropper and it didn't work. I placed it over the green section, clicked, then pressed enter. not sure what activates it. but nothing happened. am i missing something? Adjusting the sliders didn't have any affect either. 

• 3. Re: is this chromatic aberration?
              Bob Somrak Level 5

After you click the eyedropper you have to set the amount.  On the small jpg I had to set the amount VERY HIGH to get rid of the fringing.

• 4. Re: is this chromatic aberration?
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you're seeing is longitudinal or axial chromatic aberration. This happens when the lens has different focal planes for different colors and you'll sometimes seen halos around objects like this especially when they are slightly defocused. This is different from the lateral CA that the "remove CA" corrects for which corrects for the lens having different focal lengths for different parts of the spectrum, which results in colored fringes pointing outward from the center of the image with different colors on either side of an object. This is easy to correct for but the first kind is very hard to correct for. Sometimes the fringe slider can work but it is not really meant to correct for this specific issue.

• 5. Re: is this chromatic aberration?
                  Florentinii Level 1

clearly I'm not doing what you did Bob. No matter how high I set the amount, and with all the other sliders too, it makes no difference.

It was to be part of a tryptic, a gift for a funder of my most recent film. I guess it'll be a dyptic. Thanks so much for your time.

Roger

• 6. Re: is this chromatic aberration?
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

I just clicked with the eyedrpopper in the fringe at the bottom of the stem to auto set the color sliders and then cranked the top amount slider up to about max.  The uploaded file is really small so i had to zoom in really far to select the right color.  If you would upload the original RAW with XMP or a DNG with the develop settings saved I would probably have better luck and post the values of the adjustments So you could do the same.

• 7. Re: is this chromatic aberration?
                      Florentinii Level 1

that's so kind of you. but I can't seem to load a dng. here's a high res jpeg 5.6mg. hope it can work for you.

Roger

DSC_9763.jpg

• 8. Re: is this chromatic aberration?
                        Bob Somrak Level 5

Unfortunately the photo is only 96kb.  Apparently the forum software reduces the upload size to a more manageable level.