7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2017 6:13 PM by corym79940771

Locked lightroom catalog

Neophrom

Hello!

After a system reinstall i realized that I cant open my lightroom catalog because it's locked, backup file locked too, obviously.

Does the legal methods exist to unlock the catalog?

I even don't know how i locked my catalog, never faced with such type of problem.

• 1. Re: Locked lightroom catalog
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Open the folder that contains your catalog and look for a file with the lock. extension. After you delete that file then Lightroom should start normally. This lock file is the ONLY file you should delete.

• 2. Re: Locked lightroom catalog
            Neophrom Level 1

unfotunaly, it doesn't work. I tried to delete that file, in some cases it appears again. I delete it again, but Lightroom still tells me the same. Maybe there are another ways to unlock the catalog?

-----

omg it works! after I moved it to another hard drive, and instantly deleted .lock file that just appeared while I was opening catalog. Very interesting...

Thank you JimHess

• 3. Re: Locked lightroom catalog
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Please quote the exact, word-for-word error message you are receiving, or better yet, post a screenshot of it.

• 4. Re: Locked lightroom catalog
                Neophrom Level 1

Thanks, but the JimHess's method finally helped me.

• 5. Re: Locked lightroom catalog
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Neophrom wrote:

unfotunaly, it doesn't work. I tried to delete that file, in some cases it appears again. I delete it again, but Lightroom still tells me the same. Maybe there are another ways to unlock the catalog?

-----

omg it works! after I moved it to another hard drive, and instantly deleted .lock file that just appeared while I was opening catalog. Very interesting...

Thank you JimHess

Whenever Lightroom is open, there will ALWAYS be a lock file. And if Lightroom is open you will not be able to delete that file. The file is created by the catalog, which is a database. When Lightroom closes normally the log file is deleted automatically. If there is a problem with Lightroom shutting down that lock file can be left behind. And that's what causes the problem you were facing.

• 6. Re: Locked lightroom catalog
                    Lufthansen

This does NOT work for me. I had a bsod due to a faulty Lightroom catalog - of course it happened on deadline. When I tried to relaunch, my catalog file would not open due to the lock-file. Deleted the lock-file, but no dice. To make matters worse, all my presets, smart collections, tailored smart folders for photoshelter and my clients ftp servers: gone.

Adobe: I sure could use your help now. I have had serious issues with you guys before, but please help! Unless you help me fix your dodgy software, you are forcing to re-do my work over and over and over again, all the while you hold my 200.000 images hostage

• 7. Re: Locked lightroom catalog
                      corym79940771

How did you move it to a different hard drive?