I want to extend the end of a comp - so I easy enough to make it longer. But when I went back to the comp to make the 5 layers content longer - I had to do it layer by layer. I tried hilighting the layers and then dragging the ends but it didn't work. Is there a way to do that? or must you lengthen each layer to the new, longer length manually? Many thanks!
It's normal. That's just how AE works.
There should not be a problem extending many layers together in your master comp as long as they are not video layers or precomps which are limited by their duration. video layers are limited by the settings you make in the interpret footage dialog, and precomps by their composition duration which you can extend inside the composition settings of the precomp.
if you want to extend you layers together inside your master comp, first you need of course the duration of the comp to exceed the layers duration and then just select all of them and and drag the right edge further like this:
1. select the layers that you want to extend (you can select all by using Ctrl+A)
2. go to the edge of the layer until you see the cursor change to arrows pointing opposite directions
3. drag and move to the right
if you don't have to keep the Out points of the layers, it's even faster by using shortcuts:
1. Ctrl+A = select all
2. End = to move the CTI the end of the Composition
3. Alt + ] = to move all layers to the current CTI