4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 5:29 PM by chirrchirr

Adjustments to a Layout When Printing

chirrchirr Level 1

Hey everyone,

I'm using InDesign to lay out a document for the media / special feed tray on my printer. I contacted the printer company and was told the unprintable area is 0.167 inches on all sides but when I go ahead and lay out and run a document in InDesign with those margins and run a test print the image is very clearly skewed to the left.

I've run into this issue before and I think it's partly because I'm using a custom media size. It's possible that there are minute variations in the media size that I measured versus what I'm printing on versus on the screen. In the past I've solved this problem by just kind of futzing with the layout until it printed out on center and created a bunch of custom guides to help me remember where to place things.  However, since I'm designing this from scratch, I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions for best practices for addressing this issue, from start to finish. It'd be nice to have the layout in InDesign to be on center (as in the margins to actually show 0.167 on all sides), but if the print out is truly skewing left, is there perhaps a way I can shift the image slightly left during the printing process only – or for that matter, the layout is printing slightly crooked (I think it's just inevitable due to the feeding process), so perhaps I can also adjust the angle of the print? Could this also involve a super precise re-measurement of the custom media I'm using?

Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

The perennial beginner,

-Quin

• 1. Re: Adjustments to a Layout When Printing
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

I contacted the printer company and was told the unprintable area is 0.167 inches on all sides but when I go ahead and lay out and run a document in InDesign with those margins and run a test print the image is very clearly skewed to the left.

I would start by contacting them again, with the hope that they can help you with the alignment.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adjustments to a Layout When Printing
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

and keep in mind that desktop printers use paper feed technology that is very imprecise, and drift of .0625 in either direction would not be unusual.

• 3. Re: Adjustments to a Layout When Printing
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

What printer - desktop, mid-grade or production grade?

• 4. Re: Adjustments to a Layout When Printing
                chirrchirr Level 1

Hey, Daniel,

It's a desktop grade; a lexmark CS510dte.

Thanks for the other answers all, I'm still curious if i can answer my questions in spite of the idiosyncrasies of using such low end technology – for instance, the drift that Peter mentioned, even if it's there, it seems pretty regular, and I'd like to be able to compensate for it.

Hey Barb, I will contact the printing company again and double check.

But still, Im curious if someone could help me with my question.

Is it possible to rotate a document when printing and only when printing directly from InDesign? If not from within InDesign, in some manner at least? This would allow at least my layout to have some symmetry to it for other more professional printers who will also be using the same documents.

thanks a lot,

Quin