13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2006 4:20 PM by Newsgroup_User

PNG Limit?

Maü
      Does anyone know if there is a PNG limit on flash? I'm using 10 png's in a frame, and they are overlapping.

any help is welcome.

thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: PNG Limit?
          2m Level 2
          Aside the fact that there is a limit too everyting (apart from himan stupidity in gerneral) there is no such limit I know of, and if it is, it sure is way beyond 10. Memory and processing powers will surley limit what you can reasonably do with a large numger of pixelfiles.

Are you experiencing any trouble?
          • 2. Re: PNG Limit?
            Level 7
            Ma;
            In regard to alpha transparency, there was a limit of something like
            8-10 overlapping images in flash player versions previous to 8. I believe
            this limitation was removed in the flash 8 player. -Tom Unger

• 3. Re: PNG Limit?
              2m Level 2
              Good point Thomas,

the number of overlaing alpha-transparencies increased from 12 to 24.

(didn't tink of transparencies)

http://www.kaourantin.net/2005/08/from-12-to-24-layers-and-other.html

[I wonder if thar means that only 24 object with transpparencie are allowed at a tim, or if it is no problem, if they don not overlap - for examples 2 staples of 23 would wor or not, as lon as the don't touch]
              • 4. Re: PNG Limit?
                Level 7
                it's actually way more than 24 - i recently was involved with a project where we had upwards of
                30-50 and all was fine - i heard that the number is as high as 250 in flash 8.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
                --> www.mudbubble.com
                --> www.keyframer.com

2m wrote:
                > Good point Thomas,
                >
                > the number of overlaing alpha-transparencies increased from 12 to 24.
                >
                > (didn't tink of transparencies)
                >
                > <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
                > href=" http://www.kaourantin.net/2005/08/from-12-to-24-layers-and-other.html
                >
                > [I"> http://www.kaourantin.net/2005/08/from-12-to-24-layers-and-other.html
                >
                > [I</a> wonder if thar means that only 24 object with transpparencie are
                > allowed at a tim, or if it is no problem, if they don not overlap - for
                > examples 2 staples of 23 would wor or not, as lon as the don't touch]
                >
                • 5. Re: PNG Limit?
                  2m Level 2
                  Hi Chris,
                  are you sayinc Tinic Uro isn't telling the truth - whomt to trust in this bad bad world ;-)
                  • 6. Re: PNG Limit?
                    Maü Level 1
                    Yes, I'm having troubles with this. I also have tried in flash 8, with the same .fla, and I get the same overlapping effect...

• 7. Re: PNG Limit?
                      Level 7
                      he he
                      i'm just saying i was able to import around 50 PNGs with transparency into flash 8 successfully.

2m wrote:
                      > Hi Chris,
                      > are you sayinc Tinic Uro isn't telling the truth - whomt to trust in this bad bad world ;-)
                      • 8. Re: PNG Limit?
                        2m Level 2
                        could you provide us with the fla?
                        • 9. Re: PNG Limit? - yes there is
                          Level 7
                          Yes .. up until Flash 8 the limit was 10 .. it was bumped up to 20 in Flash

The limit is nothing to do with PNG though as such.

It is how many objects with alpha<100% you can stack over each other

If you are in high/best quality mode, this is limited to 10 .. after that
                          the bottom most object is just not displayed.

Surprisingly, in medium and low quality modes, this doesn't happen, and you
                          see ALL the layers.
                          --
                          Jecykl

• 10. Re: PNG Limit?
                            Level 7
                            > In regard to alpha transparency, there was a limit of something like
                            > 8-10 overlapping images in flash player versions previous to 8. I believe
                            > this limitation was removed in the flash 8 player. -Tom Unger

No .. it was doubled, not removed. And you only get the bigger limit in FP8
                            if the movie was published for SWF8 format. If you play a SWF7 and earlier
                            format movie in FP8, you still get the lower limit. So, the 'bug' is still
                            there .. and as before, only in high quality mode. Adobe (nee Macromedia)
                            could very easily remove the limitation, they've just chosen not to.
                            --
                            Jeckyl

• 11. Re: PNG Limit?
                              Level 7
                              > he he
                              > i'm just saying i was able to import around 50 PNGs with transparency into
                              > flash 8 successfully.

Then you're missing the point of this limit .. its nothing to do with how
                              many images (or other object) have transparency .. its how many are layered
                              on top of each other. The limit is real .. you've just not done something
                              that approaches it as yet.
                              --
                              Jeckyl

• 12. Re: PNG Limit?
                                Level 7
                                hmmm - i believe you know what you are talking about but almost all of these images overlapped -
                                they were PNGs of body parts of characters - i should re-check but we were dealing with a large
                                number of them - i cant provide the FLA because these are highly protected assets belonging to a big
                                network show series.

Jeckyl wrote:
                                >>he he
                                >>i'm just saying i was able to import around 50 PNGs with transparency into
                                >>flash 8 successfully.
                                >
                                >
                                > Then you're missing the point of this limit .. its nothing to do with how
                                > many images (or other object) have transparency .. its how many are layered
                                > on top of each other. The limit is real .. you've just not done something
                                > that approaches it as yet.
                                > --
                                > Jeckyl
                                >
                                >
                                • 13. Re: PNG Limit?
                                  Level 7
                                  You may have not been in high quality mode .. as the limit only happens for
                                  medium and lower. It is a very definite limit and cannot be avoided other
                                  than by using lower quality settings for playback.

Of course, the best thing is to NOT have more than 10 non-opaque things
                                  overlapping at the same point .. its not all the often that you'd need that
                                  anyway.
                                  --
                                  Jeckyl