4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 7:22 AM by BarbBinder

CS6 Version 8.0 not compatible with Adobe CC 2016

katiew85984604

We recently were using a trial of Adobe Creative cloud (InDesign CC). All work was saved in the default format. The trial expired and adobe installed Adobe Indesign CS6 8.0. We are now unable to open any file that was saved in the original format. The message we get is "Cannot open "filename.indd" because it was saved with a newer version of Adobe InDesign (CS8.0). We were unaware of any compatibility issue otherwise we would not have gone ahead with this or looked at an alternate solution.

Is there a way we can open these without having to convert all documents to IDML format?

Thanks,

Sam

• 1. Re: CS6 Version 8.0 not compatible with Adobe CC 2016
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

From InDesign Secrets:

Adobe has gone back and added a new feature to CS6: The ability to open newer CC, CC 2013, and CC 2014 files without having to resort to exporting as IDML first.

Now, I need to be clear here: This is not all versions of CS6… this only works with CS6 if you have a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud, and your CS6 was installed via the CC app! I’m sure many CS6 users are going to grumble about this. For the record, I hope that Adobe will, in the future, make this available to all CS6 users, even without the CC subscription. But for now: CC only.

http://indesignsecrets.com/cs6-update-opening-newer-cc-files.php

Otherwise, the way it has always been is to save the newer InDesign documents as IDML files. You can do it fairly quickly via File > Package, but you will have to have InDesign CC installed to get there.

• 2. Re: CS6 Version 8.0 not compatible with Adobe CC 2016
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Barb,

and I found, that it is not working on every OSX, even if you are on CC:

With my old OSX 10.6.8 where I have installed and running successfully CS6 v8.1.0 and CC v9.3.0 side by side this feature is not working. I assume the CC Desktop App is needed to get that feature to work. On that old configuration one cannot install CC Desktop App and the CC licence is managed through the Adobe Application Manager.

Regards,
            UWe

• 3. Re: CS6 Version 8.0 not compatible with Adobe CC 2016
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally I have no problem with this, because I have another machine at hand where I am running CS6 through CC 2015.4 on OSX 10.10.3. So I did not investigate further.

Uwe

• 4. Re: CS6 Version 8.0 not compatible with Adobe CC 2016
                BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Thanks, Uwe. It works fine for me: El Capitan v 10.11.6, with CS6 8.1 and CC 2015.4, both managed by the CC Desktop app. When I open a CC file, I'm led through a conversion sequence and then it appears correctly on my screen:

InDesignss_001.png

So to Katie, if the stars are aligned, it's a definite maybe. If not:

Otherwise, the way it has always been is to save the newer InDesign documents as IDML files. You can do it fairly quickly via File > Package, but you will have to have InDesign CC installed to get there.