20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 9:51 AM by Reg1987

How to share 102 Gbs of videos?

Reg1987

How do I share 10 video files that collectively total 102 Gbs?

They are files of 10 digitized films.

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 14.

The files play well with either Premiere Elements or with Window Media Player.

Do they need to be shared via hard drives, or can they be transferred to DVDs, etc?

Can they be compressed?  Should they be?

Thanks...Ron

• 1. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The size your videos currently are is kind of irrelevant. What matters is the running time of each video. Once they're optimized and then reprocessed by YouTube, Vimeo or whatever, they'll be much smaller than they are now.

• 2. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
            Reg1987 Level 1

How do I "Optimize and then reprocess by YouTube, Vimeo or whatever"?

I.e. What is my next step?

Thanks..

• 3. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
              whsprague Level 4

Reg1987 wrote:

How do I "Optimize and then reprocess by YouTube, Vimeo or whatever"?

I.e. What is my next step?

Thanks..

If you finished editing, you can output to disks or HDDs.  If you have a fast internet connection you can use the uploaders that YouTube and Vimeo provide.  Your original question is vague and confusing.

• 4. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?

What is the running time of each video?

• 5. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
                  Reg1987 Level 1

Ten videos run time minutes:

41, 16, 24, 13, 12, 14, 22, 37, 3, 16.

• 6. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?

A free YouTube account will take a 10-15 minute video, I believe. To post a longer video, you'll need a special account.

Vimeo's rules may be different. Where do you plan to post your videos?

• 7. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
                      whsprague Level 4

Ron,

I'm still confused about what you're trying to do.  Are you trying to share some of your videos or all your videos?  Is it for a few people or a lot of people?  How do you want them to watch?  Computer, tablet, phone, TV?  Do you have a Blu-Ray burner?  What is the video format of the files? 

I have a $50 a year account at Vimeo.  It allows me to upload 5GB a week, which is normally a lot.   The time length and size of your files make this a bit of a challenge! 

Bill

• 8. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?

Once the files are optimized as MP4s, they'll run around 200 kb per 10 minutes or about 2 gigs per hour. At that rate, your entire library would be under 4 gigs, easily under the 5 gig limit.

• 9. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
                          Reg1987 Level 1

To clarify my situation....

I inherited ten 16 and 8 mm films of family gatherings that i have recently had digitized. 

I would like to share them with 3-4 family members.

What is the most effective way to share them?

Do I compress them first?  If so, how do I do that?

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 14.  Do I use that to compress and then send them?

Or do I just copy the ten files containing 102 GBs onto 128GB flash drives and mail it to them?

The files are of different lengths and collectively exceed 102 GBs. 

Their run times in minutes are:  41, 16, 24, 13, 12, 14, 22, 37, 3, 16.

• 10. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or do I just copy the ten files containing 102 GBs onto 128GB flash drives and mail it to them

To what format have these films been digitized? DV-avi, mpeg2....

That is what I probably would do as the files are playable with WMP

• 11. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
                              whsprague Level 4

Reg1987 wrote:

I inherited ten 16 and 8 mm films of family gatherings that i have recently had digitized.

What is the most effective way to share them?

Do I compress them first? If so, how do I do that?

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 14. Do I use that to compress and then send them?

Or do I just copy the ten files containing 102 GBs onto 128GB flash drives and mail it to them?

The files are of different lengths and collectively exceed 102 GBs.

Their run times in minutes are: 41, 16, 24, 13, 12, 14, 22, 37, 3, 16.

Considering that it is family heirloom and history material, I would put it on 4 drives and give them to the family members.  You are providing the highest quality and get the benefit of backup in four locations. 

In the first post, you said they play well in both Premier Elements and Windows Movie Player.   Once you've got the originals distributed you could make "compressed" files in Premier Elements.  I would start with Publish&Share > Computer > AVCHD and under Presets, pick MP4-H264 1920x1080p30.  If you can, match the frame rate to the original.  You should get  nearly universal MP4 files that play well on any HD TV or computer screen. The would also readily upload to YouTube or Vimeo.  

If that does not work and indeed you want compressed files, there are setting that can be adjusted in Premier Elements to do that.  Not knowing exactly what the source material files are, it is hard to know how compression will change the quality of the viewing experience.

Bill

• 12. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?

Bill's suggestion is great for archiving.

But for sharing the files online, just load each video into Premiere Elements 14, then use Export & Share/Device/Computer/1920x1080 with the MP4 format setting to output each.

As I said above, the files will be about 200 meg per every 10 minutes. They'll look great but will be optimized for uploading and online viewing.

No reason to make it more complicated than that.

• 13. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?

Reg1987 wrote:

As this is personal stuff, put it unedited on a hdd or even as data on a BD disk and give it to you family.

They can copy it to their computer and watch it with WMP (still did not mentioned the format it was digitized to)

I would not compress as the quality will degrade even further.

• 14. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
                                    Reg1987 Level 1

Ann,

The name of one file is shown below.  Does this answer your format question?

If not, where do I find the format info?

Ron Gantz 070716_0001_NTSC-HD_20_fps

• 15. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?

Does this answer your format question?

Almost.

Download MediaInfo

run a file with Mediainfo and post the analysis in treeview.

If your files are 20 fps you have no options to compress or whatever but to put them on a flash drive and send them to your family to play on the computer.

Converting 20 fps to 29,97 requires a good converter and Elements is not the tool for that. It will destroy your images.

• 16. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
                                        Reg1987 Level 1

General

Complete name :C:\Users\Ron\Videos\Films from Dean's House\Dean 1 - Family 1955 - 1958\Ron Gantz 070716_0001_NTSC-HD_20_fps.avi
                                        Format :AVI
                                        Format/Info :Audio Video Interleave
                                        Format profile :OpenDML
                                        File size :20.8 GiB
                                        Duration :41 min
                                        Overall bit rate :71.2 Mb/s

Video

ID :0
                                        Format :JPEG
                                        Codec ID :MJPG
                                        Bit rate :69.6 Mb/s
                                        Width :1 920 pixels
                                        Height :1 080 pixels
                                        Display aspect ratio :16:9
                                        Frame rate :29.970 FPS
                                        Color space :YUV
                                        Chroma subsampling :4:2:2
                                        Bit depth :8 bits
                                        Scan type :Interlaced
                                        Scan order :Top Field First
                                        Compression mode :Lossy
                                        Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :1.120
                                        Stream size :20.3 GiB (98%)

Audio

ID :1
                                        Format :PCM
                                        Format settings, Endianness :Little
                                        Format settings, Sign :Signed
                                        Codec ID :1
                                        Bit rate mode :Constant
                                        Bit rate :1 536 kb/s
                                        Channel(s) :2 channels
                                        Sampling rate :48.0 kHz
                                        Bit depth :16 bits
                                        Stream size :459 MiB (2%)
                                        Alignment :Aligned on interleaves
                                        Interleave, duration :967 ms (28.99 video frames)
                                        • 17. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?

OK that is sorted: the file is 29.97, standard ntsc framerate.

I still would go for the flash drive, no conversion or compression.

102 gig is not much these day.

If the family want to see the footage on a tv then you have no choice to convert.

The file has a reasonable high bitrate and you even have some latitude to do some nice color correction.(chroma sampling 4.2.2).

But I would not use Elements, needs to be done by a more professional program.

• 18. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
                                            whsprague Level 4

Ann Bens wrote:

If the family want to see the footage on a tv then you have no choice to convert.

A lot of HD TVs now play straight off if a flash drive stuck into a USB port, especially if it is 1920x1080p30.  Some balk at p60.  The newest will do 4K. 

• 19. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?

Yes but these files mjpeg. TV needs to support the file type.

• 20. Re: How to share 102 Gbs of videos?
                                                Reg1987 Level 1

Thanks for all of your guidance.

I used the "Export and Share" function of Premiere Elements 14 to condense the 10 files from 102 GBs to 28GBs. 

Did not notice any resolution loss.

Played the videos on my computer. 

And also plugged them into my TV's USB port.  That worked great.

I have copied the files onto 128 GBs flash drives and sent them to the family.

Again thanks.....Ron