5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 2:59 PM by whsprague

How do I separate a short clip from a longer one?

GCLHistoryProject

I have an hour+ long interview that I have separated into several shorter clips within the program itself, using the trim tool.  I can't figure out the next thing I need to do, which is make the shorter clips their own individual files so that I can edit them independently of the long clip.  I found an older tutorial for version 11 (ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o… ), but I can't figure out how to pull the trimmed clips into the project assets menu - every time I try, the menu closes.  I'm probably missing something very obvious, I realize.  I'm also not clear if this will actually do what I want anyway.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, I have Adobe Premiere Elements 13.

Thank you for reading.

• 1. Re: How do I separate a short clip from a longer one?
          whsprague Adobe Community Professional

A lot of what ATR wrote made no sense.  She made many simple things complicated.  She no longer participates in this forum.

Before any answer can make sense, you will have to provide more detail about the source files and the output files.  "make the shorter clips their own individual files " is confusing.

I'm not sure I understand.  If I do, for best quality, do all your editing on the original project.  Then for the sub sections use the "Work area Bars".  At output there is a check box to limit the output to only what is included in the work area bars.

If you pick output settings that match your source, you can make individual pieces that are almost as good as the original.  You could build a second project with that.

• 2. Re: How do I separate a short clip from a longer one?
            GCLHistoryProject Level 1

Sorry for being confusing!

Let me see if I can be a little clearer:  I have a interview recorded.  The interview is one long file.  What I want to do is chop the interview file into several smaller files, each one a only a few minutes long.

I actually thought I had already done this, because I have separated the interview into these chunks already within Premiere, but when I searched my computer for the smaller files I thought existed, they weren't there.  Just typing this out makes me realize how dumb that assumption was >_>

Is this explanation better?  If not, I'll keep trying!

• 3. Re: How do I separate a short clip from a longer one?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you chop up (trimming) a long file (clip) in smaller chunks (clips) in Elements they do not get written to the hard drive as such. But you will have those trimmed clips stored in the Project Assets window.

If you want these small clips as files on the hard drive you need to export them one by one from the timeline (using the Work Area Bar) or by using the Project Archiver feature (exports all the clips in one go).

There is one dis-advantage to writing these files to hard disk, that is that they get encoded twice. First time to make the smaller clips and the second time (after reimporting) when making the final product.

• 4. Re: How do I separate a short clip from a longer one?
                terrys30580497 Level 3

Here's what I would do.

Decide where you want the video to be split up and into separate videos. Cut the video at those points.

Then, position the work bars at the cuts. Timeline snapping will help position the work bar precisely. See Image

7.png

Then produce that clip by selecting "Share WorkArea bar only"

8.png

Regards,Terry

• 5. Re: How do I separate a short clip from a longer one?
                  whsprague Adobe Community Professional

Terry did a much better job of describing what I was trying to suggest in post #2!