7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2016 7:07 PM by bonsier

new hard drive with new computer

bonsier

I am going on a trip and bought a macbook air which I think I installed LR on.  Now, I want to bring a new hard drive on the trip and I would like to start a new catalog on a brand new hard drive.  How to I create a new catalog on a mac formatted hard drive?

• 1. Re: new hard drive with new computer
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Connect your new hard drive (if external) to the Macbook Air

Launch Lightroom and go to the menu bar and choose:

File >> New catalog

Navigate to the new hard drive and choose a new catalog name e.g. MyCatalog2 or whatever you prefer.

Then click "Create"

When the empty catalog launches you are ready to import photos.

• 2. Re: new hard drive with new computer
            bonsier Level 1

hi there.  It worked to create a new catalog as you posted, but it created a brand new lightroom and did not include all my presets that I had bought.  It was helpful and it allows me to import photos but it is missing all my presents in the develop module.

• 3. Re: new hard drive with new computer
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Copy your {Presets} folder to a USB stick, and paste them into the macbook air.

Again read- Should I store my presets with my catalog? | The Lightroom Queen

• 4. Re: new hard drive with new computer
                bonsier Level 1

hi there.  i did copy the presets and dragged them into the presets develop onto the LR on thenew hard drive. the presets show up on the new hard drive on the old computer but does not show up on the new macbook air.  where do I paste them into the macbook air?  thanks. Im getting closer

• 5. Re: new hard drive with new computer
                  bonsier Level 1

I copied and pasted the presets on the the new hard drive and it shows up.  but it doesn’t show up on the new light room on the new computer and when I click on it it saids that there is no application to open it.  however, when I use the new hard drive with the old computer, the presets now show up.

• 6. Re: new hard drive with new computer
                    wobertc Adobe Community Professional

the presets show up on the new hard drive on the old computer but does not show up on the new macbook air..

I am not sure what you mean by this!

Your default location for presets in both computers will be-

\Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / Lightroom / (Preset Folders)

Locate from the preferences dialog /Presets tab-

ScreenShot156.jpg

If the Lightroom program is working on both computers, you just need the {Lightroom} folder, containing all the presets folders, copied to the new Macbook in the same location (overwrite any default folders that exist)- NOT on the external drive.

Copy to- HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe /

Finally the {Lightroom} folder with preset sub-folders in both computers should be the same.

(All this assumes that you do not have the option ticked to "Store presets with this catalog")

• 7. Re: new hard drive with new computer
                      bonsier Level 1

THANKS GOT IT