4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 7:51 AM by aworthycause

Single Master Page Items affecting whole spread

aworthycause Level 1

Another day, another glitch.

I am on the most recent Indesign, 2015.4. I am working on a file that is an update of one from a year ago, so I was using a previous version of Indesign then which ran smoothly.

Basically I have a document divided into sections. Each section has a differentiating colour which runs from the outside bleed to exactly the page edge in gutter, ensuring it doesn't overlap onto facing page.

These are setup in master pages.

But I need to change their height on a page-by-page basis, so I click to over-ride. However, when I do that, Indesign pops back in a new element behind. I noticed this doesn't happen if the elements don't extend to the gutter edge. So, as a workaround I have stopped the colour bars being full page width.

Example:

Here is my purple section with the master page applied:

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 12.08.25.png

Here I have clicked to override that purple bar and drag it to the correct height. But Indesign has added a new green bar, because of the master page applied to the righthand page in this spread, which is the beginning of the document's green section:

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 12.08.32.png

My work around is that master page items cannot run to the gutter edge. I still override them as before, but in both height and width. But Indesign doesn't add them to the adjoining page anymore:

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 12.23.53.png