9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 10:33 PM by Monica Singh

Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?

Myke K

Is it possible to turn a table cell into an interactive button in indesign?

• 1. Re: Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

NO, but workaround create a rectangle the size of cell then convert to button and anchored to cell.

In indesign cc 2015 select cell then from table>convert cell to graphic cell, then convert to button.

• 2. Re: Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?
            jane-e Adobe Community Professional

A second workaround, which is a newer feature, is to convert the cell to a graphic cell and then convert that to a button. It's a slightly more efficient workflow as Salah but gets you to the same place.

• 3. Re: Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Jane,

how would you add text to a button, after you converted the graphic frame of a graphic cell to a button?

It seems that this is not possible without scripting.

So how about adding text to the graphic cell that you want to convert to a button?

That's only possible, if you have a group of objects, a text frame together with another object, paste that group inside the graphic frame of the graphic cell and then convert either the graphic frame of the graphic cell to a button or convert the pasted in text frame to a button.

But that's not advisable at all.

There is a bug with InDesign CC 2015 and graphic cells that containing text frames.

InDesign will crash immediately, if you try to duplicate or copy/paste the table.
              In fact InDesign will even crash, if you try to duplicate the page that contains such a table.

Regards,
              Uwe

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?
                jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Hi Uwe,

Lots of question, Uwe! I'll give you a partial answer as it's bedtime.

I created a table, converted two cells to graphic cells, selected them with the Selection tool and converted them to buttons.

Not sure why one would ever put text in a graphic cell? (Why make a graphic cell if you want text in the cell?) Maybe I misunderstood the question?

I did not know about the bug, as my workflow has been anchored buttons in table cells with assorted styles, so I tested it. You are not 100% correct, InDesign did not crash immediately—it wasn't until the third or fourth Opt+drag before it crashed, and oh! you were absolutely correct that it will crash each and every time.

After my final test I filled out the following crash report.

• 5. Re: Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?
                  Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Hi All,

Thanks for confirming this issue.

I would recommend you to log a bug for this @ Feature Request/Bug Report Form  We will be looking into it.

Thanks

Monica Singh

• 6. Re: Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?

Hi Jane,

I also filed a bug report on this issue.

The question why anyone wants to put text inside a graphic cell is easy: a graphic cell contains a graphic frame.
                    So that question boils down to: Why would anyone put live text inside a graphic frame?

For example if you want to be playful:

SittingOnTheTopOfTheBay.png

Another example is someone who wants to have an image (a flag) plus the name of the corrensponding country (editable text) together in a table cell. And build that with datamerge:

Data Merge images as a table cell background image?

And finally this thread now comes up with: Buttons in table cells.

Buttons where you can work with symbols (vector graphics), images (bitmaps) and text (editable text) to show the user: "Click me".

Multistate objects (MSOs) inside table cells? Why not? And I've seen a lot of MSOs containing text frames.

Everything goes. A container is a container is a container. Multipurpose so to say.

More on the crash:

Duplicating pages with a table containing graphic cells with text frames will crash InDesign.

Also moving pages from document to document.

Regards,
                    Uwe

• 7. Re: Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?

Hi Uwe,

I completely agree that it may not be a good use case for "text inside a graphic cell" but MSO, Button with text should behave as expected.

Thanks for your Insights and reporting the bug. I am looking into it.

Regards,

Monica Singh

• 8. Re: Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?

Don't get me wrong on this, Monica.
                        If a button or a MSO is anchored to a text cell, InDesign will not crash if the page is duplicated.

It's only if the button or MSO with a text frame is positioned inside a graphic cell.

Regards,
                        Uwe

• 9. Re: Can You Turn Table Cells Into Buttons?

Nah!! Not at All Uwe :).