6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 3:53 AM by CStambaugh

AE extremely slooooooooow when doing anything

CStambaugh

Hello

I am the IT guy, and know very little about the program, but the user does not understand (nor do I ) why the program is so delayed when doing anything at all. Whatever file she opens, going from frame to frame, when editing or moving around has a serious delay and the image gets very unclear and pix elated.

The machine specs are as follows

AE version 10.0.0.458

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Intel i7 5960 3.9GHZ

32 GB Ram

500Gb SSD

1TB storage drive

Network storage with terabytes of storage

USB 3.0 external drive

twin Nvidia 980 x ( I believe its 980, or 990 ) connected together with SLI

It does not matter where the file is when it slows down, what drive the file is located, or the size of the file. It could be a very small file, or a large file, and the file type does not matter. The Memory being used is not even 5GB and most free, CPU and HDD usage extremely low as well. We can multitask on the unit and open folders, files, browsers, even watch videos at the same time and they work fine and flawless.

Every time we try to update it gives us an update failed error and to try again, but no error code, or anything. Just to try again. I'm not sure where the error log file is to check.

I have seen some posts about setting up different settings but we have tried most of those, setting the Allocated RAM, and multiframe rendering, etc.

I am not sure what other information anyone may need but will be happy to investigate and provide any that could help the user and myself figure this out.

• 1. Re: AE extremely slooooooooow when doing anything
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Whatever file she opens, going from frame to frame, when editing or moving around has a serious delay and the image gets very unclear and pix elated.

check to see if you don't have Ray-Traced 3D renderer in your composition settings. (Composition->Composition Settings). you should be using the Classic 3D.

Every time we try to update it gives us an update failed error and to try again, but no error code, or anything. Just to try again. I'm not sure where the error log file is to check.

Do you mean when trying to update through the CC APP?

try to update to the latest version which is this:

make sure that when you open it's the latest 13.8.1

if you are not able to update your software through CC and it fails every time check your firewall/antivirus settings and try to disable them to see. also check you have administrator privileges and run the software as administrator in the exe properties.

• 2. Re: AE extremely slooooooooow when doing anything
            CStambaugh Level 1

Hello, and thanks for the reply.

The settings for the render only has advanced 3d as an option, no other properties in the dropdown.

She has administrator rights to the machine, and the program, and does not have the app, or CC, her purchased version was not a cloud installed application. It was a full Disc installation. One of the last before they decided to move towards the pay as you go cloud applications which do not work for our facility as we are on set funding, etc... more red tape..etc...

Is there a log file that would tell me why it failed. I have looked a bit but did not find one.

Thank you

C

• 3. Re: AE extremely slooooooooow when doing anything
              It was a full Disc installation

I should have asked it first - what is your Ae version exact number?

is the user of this software aware of how Ae works and that it's not a real time playback kind of software? what exactly does this project contain? share a screenshots and if you can - screen recording.

• 4. Re: AE extremely slooooooooow when doing anything
                CStambaugh Level 1

Hello,

I believe it is CS5 10.0.0.458

She is really good at using the program. She knew when I asked her where those settings were.

I cannot provide screenshots, and it is PNG sequences with animations. From a 3d file with NO 3d effects being used.

I cannot provide screenshots and screen recordings due to security reasons, or I would.

Basically, when she moves through these images with the time slider, it pixelates and pauses when moving from say 30 seconds to 35 seconds during the file, and pauses for sometimes almost a minute.

While all this is going on, the Computer hardware is not even being stressed.

• 5. Re: AE extremely slooooooooow when doing anything

again I should have told you this sooner and I see you actually wrote the version in the original post. a little out of focus today but here it is:

1. it appears that your Win 8 is not supported by this release of CS5 look here.

After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows

can you test the software on Win 7?

2. you should know that you are using a release that has had 2 major updates 10.0.1 and 10.0.2

After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update: bug fixes and RED features | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

After Effects CS5 (10.0.2) update: a few big bug fixes | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

and you should probably address that soon. I realize you can't update your software but this is more of a support question because you are using a release that is prior to the creative cloud subscription so I don't really know how to help you.

3. apart from that - your issue maybe is not related to updating your software but we need to know what does this project contain to make it react so slow. when you create a new project and add a graphic element and keyframe a bit - is it slow as well (if you don't know how to do this - ask your user).

4. you can try to reset Ae's preferencese: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Click twice as the app launches and click o.k to reset preferences

• 6. Re: AE extremely slooooooooow when doing anything
                    CStambaugh Level 1

Hello,

Thanks for the response, sorry for the delay, but I had left for the weekend when I got the response.

I could have sworn I emailed Adobe and they said this would work on Win 8.1, before doing the computer upgrade.

Maybe they had said it should work, but was not tested, I don't remember.

Does anyone know where the update log file is located so I can see if that is a possibility as to why it won't update? Could be a file path change or something from Win 7 to Win 8.1. I know I had an issue with some Windows components and .NET on first installation, but it actually told me that was the issue.

Unfortunately, how our funding works, there is no guarantee we would receive constant funding at the exact time the subscription needs updated and could expire. This has happened with the CC I had with Dreamweaver to use for web design, and ended up going with another suite that was non subscription based, but that is beyond the issue here, and off topic, sorry.

I am 80% sure the issue did occur on her old machine, which had Windows 7 on it as well.  I do not actively work with the program, another IT person (who is no longer here) would attempt to address her issues. (but never updated anything or did much) I would be willing to bet that could be the issue with her old machine.

From what she told me it was a series of .png files strung together. That would be the best she described it to me. It is a medical illustration of a procedure. But we tried other files, with different file types and the results were the same. Frame by frame looks almost like a bad buffering session when streaming online. Images were blurry and HUGE square blocks were present and took a few minutes to go smaller and make the image actually viewable. This is even lowered to about 1/3 resolution when it occurs.

Edit:

I found a group of log files (.GZ files) but none say After Effects. The master collection did not have any log files for recent updates.

There is Photoshop, Player, Extendscript and Master suite located where I found them @ C:/ ProgramFiles(X86) /Common files/ Adobe/ Installers.

Im guessing at this point Im going to need to contact support, although I was trying to avoid that because I already know their solution is going to be Upgrade to the subscription. I was hoping posting here I could find a different solution.

Thank you for the assistance.

Have a great day

Chris