16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 11:10 AM by johnrellis

LR Full Lens Info

orfeas76

Hello, is there a fix so I can see the whole name of the lens?

Such as Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 ED instead of 24-70mm so I can distinguish it from Tamron ?

What I see:

Screenshot 2016-08-19 18.29.31.png 

What I'd like to see: Screenshot 2016-08-19 18.29.43.png

• 1. Re: LR Full Lens Info
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Not at this time. Currently you get the generic description of length and max aperture.

You can make an enhancement request here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

• 2. Re: LR Full Lens Info
            Bob Somrak Level 5

Lightroom can give you the info you see in the second clip with the following settings under MENU  View/View Options.

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 1.03.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 1.04.52 PM.png

• 3. Re: LR Full Lens Info
              orfeas76 Level 1

Unfortunately this is what I am talking about.

I have the settings you suggest but I get generic lens name on some lenses while Full model name on others.

Sigma art 35 gives me generic

Nikon lenses also give generic names.

Tamron gives Full Lens Name

Take a look

Screenshot 2016-08-19 22.20.29.png

Screenshot 2016-08-19 22.21.03.png

Ofcourse I followed the exact same procedure in both cases

• 4. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                orfeas76 Level 1

I'd like to add that in Lens Correction profile, the correct lens is auto-selected,

so it is just a matter of Description and not Recognition

• 5. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

I now understand.  This was a KNOWN bug in earlier version of Lr6 but is now fixed.  See the post here.  Nikon lens EXIF not importing correctly

See here to fix it after you upgrade to 6.6.1  Lens metadata hidden for some cameras in Lightroom 2015.5 and 6.5

• 6. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                    orfeas76 Level 1

Problem remains.

Today's Photos with both D810 and D4s.

Both cameras with Latest Firmware, importing NEF files with none developing, LR about box saying 2015.6.1 Release, Camera Raw 9.6

Screenshot 2016-08-20 09.43.42.png

above lens: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art for Nikon

Screenshot 2016-08-20 09.43.56.png

above lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A007N

Screenshot 2016-08-20 09.44.04.png

above lens: Nikon AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED

Screenshot 2016-08-20 09.44.19.png

above lens: Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G

• 7. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                      orfeas76 Level 1

I also tried the above in a brand new laptop with win10 (v1607), with brand new LR installation with no cached files

• 8. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                        Bob Somrak Level 5

The data is not in the catalog as shown by the Metadata display but it should STILL be in the files as Lightroom does not change the NEF RAW files.  Upload one of the NEF files to dropbox so others can see if there is a problem with the EXIF data in the file.  Are you using any Nikon software to import the files into the computer?

• 9. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                          orfeas76 Level 1

I import straight from card reader to Lightroom.

As I stated I also tried a brand new pc,  with brand new installation with no files,  and imported these without alterations.

Here are the files: Dropbox - nef

• 10. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                            Bob Somrak Level 5

This is the data that is recorded in EXIF using Exiftool for file GFK_6801 and as you can see it is the same as displayed by Lightroom so the data is not there to display.  So far I didn't check the others.  Also the lens Id is listed as UNKNOWN. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 7.33.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 7.36.33 AM.png

• 11. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                              orfeas76 Level 1

If the data isn't there how come LR recognizes the lens and applies the correct Lens Profile when "auto" is selected

Screenshot 2016-08-21 18.08.19.png

• 12. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bob Somrak wrote:

This is the data that is recorded in EXIF using Exiftool for file GFK_6801 and as you can see it is the same as displayed by Lightroom so the data is not there to display. So far I didn't check the others. Also the lens Id is listed as UNKNOWN.

This is how I understand this is done Lightroom just displays the actual data in the raw files that the camera recorded. So this is a side effect of the camera not really knowing the full name of the lens. This is likely because Nikon's engineers can't fathom that anybody would be using a non-Nikon lens. I also wouldn't be surprised if the chip in the lens actually encodes this somehow and that Sigma, in contrast with Tamron, does not put their own name in that data. I guess Adobe could include a more complete list of lenses with actual manufacturer names and base the display on the lens ID or other metadata. They also have some of that info from the lens correction database that usually does recognize lenses from different manufacturers just fine. Could be a good feature request.

• 13. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                                  Bob Somrak Level 5

The lens ID is listed as unknown in the EXIF for the lens in the example so having a lens ID database would not work in this case.

• 14. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                                    Bob Somrak Level 5

orfeas76 wrote:

If the data isn't there how come LR recognizes the lens and applies the correct Lens Profile when "auto" is selected

That is odd.  I am out of ideas but maybe the resident EXIF guru John Ellis   (you could contact him here johnrellis ) will chime in as solving EXIF problems seems to be one of his hobbies

• 15. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                                      orfeas76 Level 1

The mystery is huge!

I can swear in previous years even Tamron was shown as "24-70mm" only and nothing more.

Here is the evidence:

Screenshot 2016-08-21 21.05.38.png

I also left this DNG file in dropbox folder for further inspection.

Suspect the firmware of the lens? What else?

• 16. Re: LR Full Lens Info
                                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

To build on Bob's and Jao's comments, I haven't completely reverse-engineered LR with respect to lens information, but here is my understanding:

The inconsistencies you're observing are due to LR, not your camera or lenses.

For the purposes of determining the lens profile to apply in Develop, LR uses information stored in the proprietary MakerNotes fields that were written by the camera.   Nikons store a numeric "Lens ID Number" field, which is supposed to uniquely identify the lens.  For example, the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A007N has Nikon Lens ID Number 254. LR (and ACR) look up that lens id number in its lens database to identify the lens profiles that are available.

But for the purposes of showing the lens in the Library Metadata panel, the Library Filter bar's Metadata browser, and searching by smart collections, LR will use the string value stored in the fields EXIF:LensModel or XMP:Lens if those fields are present, regardless of what's stored in the MakerNotes.  Some cameras will also write the EXIF:LensModel field (but Nikons don't appear to)

This accounts for why the file Tamron2470_D810.NEF shows "TAMRON SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD A007N" in the Metadata panel, but the file Tamron2470_OLD.dng shows "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8".   The .dng has fields EXIF:LensInfo, EXIF:LensModel, EXIF:DNGLensInfo, XMP:LensInfo, and XMP:Lens, probably added by the conversion to DNG.  If you use Exiftool to delete those fields, then LR displays "TAMRON SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD A007N" in the Metadata panel, just as it does for the .nef.

However, if the file is missing the EXIF and XMP lens fields, LR appears to be inconsistent in what it shows in the Library Metadata panel and browser. For example, Tamron2470_D810.NEF shows "TAMRON SP 24-70mm F2.8Di VC USD A007N", whereas Sigma35_D810.NEF shows "35.0 mm f/1.4", even though in the latter case LR correctly identifies the full name of the lens in Develop. I don't know what accounts for this inconsistency, other than just a software bug in LR. With capture time, for example, LR is notoriously inconsistent in how it handles files missing the capture-time metadata fields.

I think it would be better if LR consistently used in Library the same lens identification it used in Develop.  You could file a feature request for that, but based on Adobe's complete lack of attention to Library metadata the past six years, I doubt they'd ever change the behavior.

--------------------------------------------------------

For reference, here are dumps for the files in your Dropbox folder. For each file, there is the value of the Lens field in the Metadata panel, the values from the Lens Profile section in Develop, and the output of "exiftool -a -G".  Note that the Composite fields output by Exiftool are not actually stored in the files -- Exiftool uses its own lens database to compute the full lens name shown in the Composite fields.