6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 2:58 PM by norbvor

Lightroom 6 license key also valid for LR 5?

norbvor

I intend to switch to Lightroom and as I am running on Windows 10 32-bit I can only install LR 5.7 at this time. My question: If I buy a LR 6 license now, will I be able to run LR 5 with it and in some months, after switching to Windows 64-bit, to install and run LR 6?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 license key also valid for LR 5?
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No.

A Lightroom 5 serial number is only valid for Lightroom 5.

A Lightroom 6 serial number is only valid for Lightroom 6.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom 6 license key also valid for LR 5?
            Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

There is a slight possibility that you can get around this by subscribing to the Creative Cloud Photography Plan, which includes Photoshop and Lightroom for $10 a month.

It might work, provided that the CC desktop app will install on a 32-bit system - this page - Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app: Questions and answers - indicates that it may be possible, but the information is ambiguous.

What operating systems are supported?

The Creative Cloud desktop application system requirements are as follows:

• Mac OS 10.7 and later
            • Windows 8.1 (both 64-bit and 32-bit versions), 8, and 7
            • Broadband Internet connection required

Users running Windows XP or Mac OS 10.6.8 or earlier cannot install the Creative Cloud desktop application. They are limited to Adobe Application Manager.

With a CC subscription you can install previous versions of the programs at no extra cost, and if you succeed in installing the desktop app, you should be able to install LR5.

Maybe somebody else can confirm that this will or won't work.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 license key also valid for LR 5?
              norbvor Level 1

I have the Adobe Creative Cloud application running on my 32-bit system as part of a 31 day trial. Originally I wanted to test LR6, but the installer was smart enough to detect that on my 32-bit system LR5.7 is the only choice. So it installed that one. The question is now, that if I buy a conventional (non CC) LR6 license and enter that number in my existing LR4.7 trial installation, will it accept that?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 license key also valid for LR 5?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unfortunately, it won't work. Adobe does not sell ANY previous versions of Lightroom. And serial numbers are specific to version numbers. Your only option would be to purchase Lightroom 5 from some third party source. Or, you can pay $10/month to have Lightroom 5 .7 as part of the creative cloud package. Another alternative would be to install a 64-bit operating system. If your computer is that old you might want to consider upgrading to a newer one anyway.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 license key also valid for LR 5?
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Like John Waller told you above, an LR6 serial number will only work with LR6.

And Creative Cloud doesn't use serial numbers - it is licensed by signing in with your Adobe ID.

Serial numbers are for standalone versions only.

I would recommend that you subscribe to the Photography plan.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 license key also valid for LR 5?
                    norbvor Level 1

Thank you folks for your answers. They were really helpful.