14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 2:36 PM by Roei Tzoref

Windows & Quicktime

bitcU

'Error: Rendering error while writing to file "S_TEMP\Comp 2.mov". Incompatible video compressor. (-1610153448)"

I'm getting this error when trying to render the DNxHD codec to our network. Anyone experienced this before on Windows?

I can render Animation codec to the network... just not H264 or Avid. You can queue to the Media Encoder but it takes time and extra steps I'd rather avoid in the workflow.

Also everything renders completely fine locally to my machine.

Im on windows 10

24 cores Xeon E5-2650

64GB Ram

NVidia GTX 980 Ti

Nvidia GTX 960

Any thoughts would be great!

• 1. Re: Windows & Quicktime
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

what is you Ae version exactly?

I'm getting this error when trying to render the DNxHD codec to our network.

did you install the latest DNxHD Codec from here? Avid Codecs 2.3.7 Download

just not H264

definitely bad idea to do this from Ae and not AME. it's gives poor results.

You can queue to the Media Encoder

does DNxHD through AME work?

• 2. Re: Windows & Quicktime
            bitcU Level 1

Version 13.8.1. Fully up to date on Creative Cloud.

Yes I installed the DNxHD from there.

Yeah usually we would not render H264 straight out of any application apart from PreVis playblasts anyway. This was just simply for test purposes.

I can't render DNxHD through AME either actually. Heres the error I get

Export Error

Error compiling movie.

Unable to create or open output file.

Exporter returned bad result.

Writing with exporter: QuickTime

Writing to file: S:\_TEMP\Render_Test\Comp 3_1.mov

Around timecode: 00:00:00:00

Component: QuickTime of type Exporter

Selector: 9

Error code: 11

• 3. Re: Windows & Quicktime

so DNxHD is not working at all. I would try to isolate the problem:

1. did you try different settings? (the list is too long, I know)
              2. you are using an HD composition, right?
              3. try to render to your desktop
              4. try this: "Error compiling movie" when rendering or exporting (it's for PrPro but some is relevant)
              5. do you have 13.7.1 ? if you do - try to export from there and see if that works. (you know you can install 2 versions or more of any CC App)
              • 4. Re: Windows & Quicktime
                bitcU Level 1

Ok my mistake. I CAN write DNxHD to my desktop. I think I got confused with a file path...

Anyway heres the error I get when I try write the DNxHD to the server network

8/19/2016 5:24:16 PM: Starting composition “Comp 1”.

Output To: S:\_TEMP\Render_Test\Comp 1_3.mov

After Effects error: Rendering error while writing to file “S:\_TEMP\Render_Test\Comp 1_3.mov”. Unable to open file. (-1610153459)

8/19/2016 5:24:17 PM: Finished composition “Comp 1”.

This is a HD comp and I've tried a few different settings. Also tried Avid 1:1x and no luck with that either. Though Animation codec renders fine to the server.

• 5. Re: Windows & Quicktime

Ok my mistake. I CAN write DNxHD to my desktop. I think I got confused with a file path...

so exporting works fine when it's to the desktop? the problem only occurs when you try to render to the network?

• 6. Re: Windows & Quicktime
                    bitcU Level 1

Yeah exactly that. But the animation codec will render fine to the server as well.

• 7. Re: Windows & Quicktime

Well I am pretty satisfied . I would guess the network slow down is causing the Export to fail. this maybe a problem specifically with this codec and I can imagine that the writing of the files is interrupted somehow and this causes the error. in my workplace we work on the network all the time and we use Animation because it's the fastest, it's reliable, and we don't mind the disk space. if you are using 8bit you should not mind either. if you insist on using DNxHD I would recommend you render locally and cut and paste the file to the network - it's not perfect, but not that bad. if you feel this is a bug, you can file a bug report and try to make this software better for all of us: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 8. Re: Windows & Quicktime
                        bitcU Level 1

Yeah not sure the network should be the issue in terms of the speed as its just been fitted. Its a pretty fast setup we're running.

I don't really like using Animation as its not really production ready codec as its only 8bit.

I guess we'll just have to figure something else out. Thanks for your help.

• 9. Re: Windows & Quicktime
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You shouldn't be limited to only Animation.  The QT PNG codec is lossless & 10-bit.  JPEG 2000 is great, too, and I'm pretty sure it's also 10-bit.  Both support Alpha Channels.

• 10. Re: Windows & Quicktime
                            bitcU Level 1

In my experience I don't know many productions that work with these types of codecs. I know PNG can be pretty heavy.

Regardless of that both of these codecs come up with the same error.

• 11. Re: Windows & Quicktime
                              The QT PNG codec is lossless & 10-bit.  JPEG 2000 is great, too, and I'm pretty sure it's also 10-bit.  Both support Alpha Channels.

Dave, unless you have some kind of Magic Ae, QT PNG and JPEG2000 in Ae are only 8 bit.

Maybe you meant Png Sequence....

• 12. Re: Windows & Quicktime
                                I know PNG can be pretty heavy.

if you mean heavy = file size - actually PNG is very compressed. it will be with reasonably small size. almost like DNxHD.

if you mean heavy = heavy to render - then Yes, it will take a while. a lot more than Animation or DNxHD.

• 13. Re: Windows & Quicktime
                                  bitcU Level 1

File size isnt so much the worry, more about time and the amount of steps people have to take to produce a video.

Our network is running fine as well, I'm getting an average speed of 100mb transfer rate so definitely not that. I'm starting to think it must be a permissions issue with Quicktime some how.

• 14. Re: Windows & Quicktime

maybe other users here working on a network could try if this causes problems for them too. I am currently at home so can't tell. what ever you find please update the thread