6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 4:46 AM by trshaner

VIVID vs. CLEAR Profile setting

red fuji

which setting should i use ?

i shot a raw picture of a 2D art image and want to export it into a jpg to ultimately print out. i want the export to look as clear and vivid as possible.

in the CAMERA CALIBRATION under the PROFILE setting there are two choices.. VIVID and CLEAR. i don't am having a hard time deciding which of the two settings to use... i am somewhat confused.. it seems that the CLEAR setting appears more vivid or less 'cloudy' than the VIVID setting? whats the difference between the two? what affect does the CLEAR vs. VIVID setting actually produce?

• 1. Re: VIVID vs. CLEAR Profile setting
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Those are what's called camera matching profiles. They approximate the look of a jpeg from the camera if you had shot jpeg and had selected that specific picture style. They have very little to do with correct color reproduction. They are just simulations of the camera's jpeg rendering engine. If you want to produce a certain style or punchiness of image you need to use the sliders at the top to produce something you like. You can use one of the camera profiles as a starting point. But that's all it is, a starting point. If you want to have very accurate color reproduction, you should photograph a color checker chart under the same lighting and then create a profile yourself. Typically people use a colorchecker passport chart from x-rite for that.

• 2. Re: VIVID vs. CLEAR Profile setting
            dj_paige Level 9

red fuji wrote:

which setting should i use ?

i shot a raw picture of a 2D art image and want to export it into a jpg to ultimately print out. i want the export to look as clear and vivid as possible.

in the CAMERA CALIBRATION under the PROFILE setting there are two choices.. VIVID and CLEAR. i don't am having a hard time deciding which of the two settings to use.

There's no right or wrong answer on which one you should use. You pick the one that you like the best — or — you apply your own edits after choosing one of the profiles to give you the image you want.

• 3. Re: VIVID vs. CLEAR Profile setting
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

red fuji wrote:

in the CAMERA CALIBRATION under the PROFILE setting there are two choices.. VIVID and CLEAR.

When doing copy work (i.e. picture of a picture) you will get the best results using a camera profile that produces "neutral" or "faithful" contrast and color rendering. That is in fact the name of 'Camera' profiles available for Canon and Nikon cameras inside LR. For your camera that would most likely be the 'Clear' camera profile.

red fuji wrote:

in the CAMERA CALIBRATION under the PROFILE setting there are two choices.. VIVID and CLEAR. i don't am having a hard time deciding which of the two settings to use... i am somewhat confused.. it seems that the CLEAR setting appears more vivid or less 'cloudy' than the VIVID setting? whats the difference between the two? what affect does the CLEAR vs. VIVID setting actually produce?

Please check your camera's user manual for a description of these in-camera picture styles. Adobe has created camera profiles that try to "emulate" these camera picture styles when processing raw image files (ARW) inside LR. You should also have a camera  profile named 'Adobe Standard,' which also may be a good choice for your copy work image. Choose the camera profile that provides the best starting point. You will still need to adjust the Basic panel and other controls as you would with a normal camera image.

• 4. Re: VIVID vs. CLEAR Profile setting
                red fuji Level 1

Now that you mentioned X-rite ... I actually did buy and use the x-rite with the purpose of getting the most accurate color reproduction which is my ultimate aim.  but when I applied the x-rite profile the image was way too yellow. I am not sure what I did wrong but I abandoned the x-rite profile but now I will go back to it ... but how do i use it properly . I did not find any good detailed tutorials on how to use it.

• 5. Re: VIVID vs. CLEAR Profile setting
                  thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

red fuji wrote:

Now that you mentioned X-rite ... I actually did buy and use the x-rite with the purpose of getting the most accurate color reproduction which is my ultimate aim. but when I applied the x-rite profile the image was way too yellow. I am not sure what I did wrong but I abandoned the x-rite profile but now I will go back to it ... but how do i use it properly . I did not find any good detailed tutorials on how to use it.

Everything you thought you wanted to know about DNG camera profiles:

All about In this 30 minute video, we’ll look into the creation and use of DNG camera profiles in three raw converters. The video covers:

What are DNG camera profiles, how do they differ from ICC camera profiles.

Misconceptions about DNG camera profiles.

Just when, and why do you need to build custom DNG camera profiles?

How to build custom DNG camera profiles using the X-rite Passport software.

The role of various illuminants on camera sensors and DNG camera profiles.

Dual Illuminant DNG camera profiles.

Examples of usage of DNG camera profiles in Lightroom, ACR, and Iridient Developer.

Low Rez (YouTube):

http://youtu.be/_fikTm8XIt4

High Rez (download):

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/DNG%20Camera%20profile%20video.mov

• 6. Re: VIVID vs. CLEAR Profile setting
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

red fuji wrote:

Now that you mentioned X-rite ... I actually did buy and use the x-rite with the purpose of getting the most accurate color reproduction which is my ultimate aim. but when I applied the x-rite profile the image was way too yellow.

Two possibilities: 1) You didn't adjust the white balance. 2) Your monitor is not properly calibrated.

The video at the link posted by