9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2016 2:33 PM by Roei Tzoref

wanted to know these effects names

EdvinasK20

Hello im a new after effects cc 2015 user. I want to make something beutiful to my music channel and i wanted to know those effects. Thank you guys.

I need those where is a red dot. Maybe i know how to make them on photoshop, but on after effects not.

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: wanted to know these effects names
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

feels like it's a guessing game. why such a vague post? what red dot?

this?

what exactly do you want to accomplish here? if this not animated so might as well do this in Photoshop. please provide more details.

• 2. Re: wanted to know these effects names
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            1. Duplicate the background layer
            2. Mask the duplicate to create the ring
            3. Experiment with blend modes until you get the colors you like
            4. Add color effects to the copy and see how the blend modes effect the color changes

If you have no idea what I'm talking about then start here: Basic AE

• 3. Re: wanted to know these effects names
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

i wanted to know those effects.

There are no effects. This si some simple blending mode trickery, presumably with Hard Light mode used after the shape was masked out. As the others already said, it might be a good idea to actualyl read the help if you can't even figure out something that simple on your own.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: wanted to know these effects names
                EdvinasK20 Level 1

and whats the effect near the text? That little transparent thing at center words.

• 5. Re: wanted to know these effects names
                  EdvinasK20 Level 1

Yes i can do this in photoshop, but i think when i import it from photoshop to ae it losses some quality, or not?

• 6. Re: wanted to know these effects names
                    EdvinasK20 Level 1

Thank you. Im new here.

• 7. Re: wanted to know these effects names
                      Yes i can do this in photoshop, but i think when i import it from photoshop to ae it losses some quality, or not?

Quality - No problem, But there could be a little tweaking of adjustments because Ps and Ae sometimes translate things differently. in this case, a good practice is to start the design process in a design App, and when you're satisfied with the results - move to the Compositing App and adjust accordingly, and finally create you animation. read here: Preparing and importing still images in After Effects..

about this specific reference

my guess is there was no masking here at all, but simply a cut out of 2 illustrations: one is the deer placed on top of the image, and another is the decoration element placed on top with invert adjustment (in After Effects it's an effect called invert) and the adjusting the colors the way you want them with color adjustment and maybe also a blending mode.

workflow examples

in photoshop this kind of setup could work

when imported to Ae you would need to make a little tweaking because in this specific case there was a clipping mask adjustment which translate in a different manner to Ae than what you see in Ps, but with a little preparations, copy-pasting, and arranging - and you get this

That little transparent thing at center words.

What do you mean? circle it and enlarge so we can see what you mean

• 8. Re: wanted to know these effects names
                        EdvinasK20 Level 1

that thing near text. Capture.PNG

• 9. Re: wanted to know these effects names

I see now. you mean the underlying layer is cut by a boundary that's a bit larger than the text.

in photoshop you have layer masks (pixels and vector) and clipping masks, in Ae you have vector masks and alpha mattes and effects for matte extraction based on a layer. you need to read through here: Use alpha channels, masks, and mattes in After Effects.

there are many ways to do this. let's see - we have the dear that is supposed to be cut by the text and a few more pixels. how would you do that in PS? we need a selection. we could select the text and choose select->modify->expand and enlarge a few pixels. now we have a selection and we can add this as an inverted mask to the deer..

in After Effects we can do this in a number of ways. Photoshop has clipping masks, Ae has Alpha mattes. if you put the deer behind a duplicate of the text - it can act as a matte (mask) for the deer. and if inverse it, then the deer will only be shown by the inverse of that text (confused? should I keep going?). and if you enlarge the text then the deer will be cut by a bit larger boundary of the text. we can use a stroke layer style to enlarge the text, or a stroke to the text layer in the character panel, or a or we can use an effect like minimax set to alpha. will produce a bit different result.